1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

What questions to ask seller

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/13, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What questions to ask seller

I am looking to buy a 67-69 Mustang. What are the best questions to ask a seller for a long distance possible purchase? I can see pics but won't get to see it in person until purchase time. It will be from an individual.
Old 12/1/13, 08:57 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
ask the seller if it is ok for you to bring a magnet to inspect for body filler .. i`m Leary of buying anything with fresh paint ...
Old 12/1/13, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long they owned it?
Why they are selling?
Ask if it's ok to have a mechanic check it out if possible for inspection/compression test.
Where did they store the car?
How did they use it (occasional drive, DD, race, did it sit for a long time, etc)?
Ask to hear it run over the phone maybe.
Ask if the confidential vin matches the public vin.
As many detailed pictures as they can get you.
Is the motor original, trans original, numbers match, had any work done (not necessarily deal breakers, but good info to have)?
Ask for a scan of any documents/Marti report.
Old 12/2/13, 05:07 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
if its from a salt belt state, what sheetmetal has been replaced/when/by whom/got pics of the work?

non-salt states, same questions, but possible its still original...IMO impossible if one ever saw salt- love the early mustangs, but they were notorious for rust in the front torque boxes/cowl, even if the more obvious wheelhouses/quarters were fine.

due to design/sealing, at this age odds are one or more of these areas may be a concern: inside cowl/inside front torque boxes/rear rails by rear shackles at a minimum/ floors/ trunk dropoffs/ front rails behind bumper brackets or under the upper a-arms will have been replaced or need some work. I'm just guessing at this from looking at mine so far- it was bought from original owner in 1982, she told me she only drove it the first winter she had it, as mostly original paint, fairly believeable...
I put it in the garage in 1984, got busy dodging lifes curveballs for 29 years, finally got after it this summer. knew a front rail/torquebox needed attention, but stripping it found pretty severe rot elsewhere too. floors/rockers were great, cowl looks great too- but thats uncommon from what ive read... other spots that looked ok got ugly fast as they got wirewheeled.

dont want to discourage anyone from a mustang, just sayin in my opinion most the early ones will have either had, or be in need of bottom side attention if theyve ever seen salt. hopefully you can find one thats 'unsalted' or had quality work already done