1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Started the Paint/Body!

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/04, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've taken a BUNCH of pics of my progress on my paint and body work. Everyone let me know if you want me to post a few more to sample. I've torn my poor car completely appart and there is NOTHING left to it. She's in pieces!

We've scuffed most of the car now, applied a little bondo here and there, and popped a few dents. The front passenger side fender is toast. Someone tried to repair it at one point but it's rusted clean through the support at the back. Oh well.

I'm replacing the front valance too. When I spray it, I'm painting it a 2 stage of the tahoe turqoise color and I'm putting the white stripes back on (tapered like the lemans shelby style).

I'm also putting the GT stripe below the door with the chrome mustang lettering and I'm smoothing the door sills where the clips held those cheap covers. I'm also removing the bumper guards and smoothing the rear valance. She's not getting any scoops or any such things. I want the exterior smooth and simple. Nothing to clutter the lines.

The rear quarter emblems are coming off too. I'm not going GT because it's too often cloaned. I'm just making it as much of a sleeper as possible with a few accents from the GT package like perhaps fogs. I'm trying to keep some chrome on the car too. I Love chrome. I'm just keeping it in big chunks, like the bumbers and side mirrors.

She should look really sleak when I'm done. I'll be sure to attach a few more pics that I took just for some eye candy
Let me know if you guys want more pics!
Old 4/29/04, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Last shot of the side emblem on the car:
Old 4/29/04, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Think this car was originally burgandy? LOL! I know it's not the original color, but I've fallen in love with the turqoise. This one shows after we removed the side emblem and scuffed the car (few minutes after the previous pic)
Old 4/29/04, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is my last shot. It's of the paint I'm using. Let me know if you want to see some more pics, and I'll gladly post em for your viewing pleasure.
Old 4/29/04, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm sure your car is happy its getting all this attention, it's nice to see people restoring. I like the idea of you keeping it a sleeper and not going the cloned route.

Good luck!
Old 4/30/04, 01:19 AM
Bullitt Member

StangerX did you see the episode Mustang episode of Pimp My Ride? They used almost the exact same color on the chick's '66. It looked awesome when finished.
Old 4/30/04, 05:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Caught the tail end of it. Didn't pay enough attention. I'll be sure to keep my eyes out for it again though.
Old 4/30/04, 05:27 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
WOW, nice ride. I too like the sleeper route!!

How are/were the floor pans?

Are you on a scheduled time frame for completion?

Keep us updated!!
Old 5/3/04, 05:15 AM
Bullitt Member

No schedule. It's a Fix-it-when-you-can type project. The pans look pretty good in it. They have some rust spots and patch work. I'm not going to mess with them for now, but they're definately going to need fixing. With the amout of stuff that has to be replaced on the exterior and my tight budget, I'm going to have to stick to just paint and body. I'll snap a few more shots as things progress, ESPECIALLY when we hit it with some of that paint!
Old 5/7/04, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Got some bondo on the car yesterday. She's pluging along nicely! I took some pics, but haven't downloaded them yet. I'll be sure to do that when I get home.

I'm just about done getting the body ironed out. I'm planning on getting my new fender and some other odds and ends in about 2 weeks. I have a great connection with a wholesale account that really saves the cash.

Should have the Filler done in a few days, and perhaps may even get some primer on the car by next week. I'll be sure to keep posting the pics!

EDIT: Almost forgot... Given the option of an open hood scoop vs the current hood - both matched with the lemans stripes - which would look better on my car? Keep in mind, I'm trying to keep the lines clean and smooth, and I'm attemting to stay as low key as possible. Stripes aren't exactly low key though, are they? Guess I have to have a little flash...
Old 5/7/04, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's a shot of some of the body filler work. This is after we smoothed it down some.
Old 5/7/04, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Notorious Mustang Rust spot! She's filled and smooth now!
Old 5/7/04, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's a shot of my motor too. I have some rust treatment that works GREAT on already formed surface rust. I'm going to take it after that rust around the radiator support and such. Also have to hit the frame rails.
Old 5/7/04, 01:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Last one... Had a dent in my hood here. We pulled it out and got filler in it. Nice and smooth now!
Old 5/7/04, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok, couldn't resist. Here's me posing in front of my car. Take that ricers! LOL
Old 5/7/04, 05:32 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice shots man... i will get some pictures of my project 66 Galaxie up once I get my butt back in the garage...

needs to be primered and block sanded a few times.. the bondology is done already... problem was it was cold so I couldn't spray in the winter..
Old 5/7/04, 08:46 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice pix. I can't wait to see the pix after being painted!
Old 5/8/04, 06:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Great pics so far StangerX

Keep posting them as you do new stuff. I know i would like to see the progress and Im sure others would also.

B) B) B)
Old 5/9/04, 10:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey guys I'm the guy helping Stanger x with his car. I'm the dude talking on the cell in one of the pics. Here is a pic of my car. It's almost done. I can't wait to get back on Stangers stang and get that car finished.

Remember People Don't CRUSH EM RESTORE EM!
Old 5/9/04, 11:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I LOVE that color. Looking good man

Quick Reply: Started the Paint/Body!