1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Severe Engine Vibrations (1965)

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/17, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Severe Engine Vibrations (1965)

Hello All,

I have a 1965 mustang (200, straight 6 engine. Four speed) and it suddenly started violently shaking. I'm having trouble figuring out why.

It happens when I'm driving down the road and press on the gas peddle. I try to give it gas and the engine shakes so bad that the stick shift waggles back and fourth and the entire thing sounds strained and won't pick up speed as usual. This does not happen as much when the car is idling, mostly just when it is moving.

This was not a gradual thing. It was running perfectly one morning until i stopped for gas at a station I go to regularly, and the instant I started it up and drove out of the station it started shaking.

I checked the motor mounts just in case they came loose all of a sudden, but they are fine.

I'm rather new at having a classic mustang, and am trying to teach myself as best I can, so thank you very much for any suggestions you might have for me!
Old 8/18/17, 10:07 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
the most common thing to do that is plug wires .. crank the engine up at night and look under the hood and see if voltage is jumping from the wires ...after that make sure the ignition points arent burned up ..
Old 8/18/17, 10:22 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Another possibility is there was some water in the gas for some reason.
Old 8/20/17, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank You!

Hello,

I was able to nail down the problem!

The spark plug wire were all fine, but the spark plugs did need to be replaced. The core of the problem was actually corrosion on the points. I changed out the points and condenser and it started running beautifully again.

I guess the timing was just coincidental, but I'm going to change my fuel filter anyway. Can't hurt.

Thanks so much for your suggestions, I really appreciate it!
Old 8/20/17, 01:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Glad you solved it. It's nice to see some activity on this forum for the older cars.