1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Roller Bearing Pedal Assembly, any pics or links?

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/04, 03:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I have my car mostly apart and waiting on a few items I decided to pull the pedal assembly and rollerize it. So, before I re-invent the wheel I want to see what others have done. Any pics or links would be greatly appreciated.
Old 8/5/04, 03:51 PM
Cobra R Member

This is really the only place I've seen a writeup:

http://www.mustangsteve.com/clutchbearings.html
Old 8/5/04, 06:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Can't see much detail in the picture, but Delta Bay also carries/makes them.

Old 8/5/04, 10:04 PM
Bullitt Member

No one has done one themselves? I seem to remember someone on another vintage mustang forum having done it. Ican't possible be the first monkey to embark on such a venture.
Old 8/6/04, 07:23 AM
Cobra Member

You guys really should buy another project car, if you're to the point of installing spherical bearings in the brake pedal pivot.

All meant in good spirit. B)
Old 8/6/04, 08:15 AM
Tim

The pedal supports from Delta Bay Mustang look fairly easy to fab. Do they sell a kit or just the finished support? It does not look like those are welded in place. Does anyone know if those bearings can be installed without removing the pedal support?

Tim
Old 8/6/04, 08:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Mberglo@August 6, 2004, 8:26 AM
You guys really should buy another project car, if you're to the point of installing spherical bearings in the brake pedal pivot.

Nah, it's only when we remove the pedal support to send it out for chrome plating that you need to start getting concerned!
Old 8/6/04, 08:46 AM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Mberglo@August 6, 2004, 9:26 AM

Mark,
You ever hop in your Fox and say.... dayum I wish my rusty 'vert handled like this?

:bang:
Old 8/6/04, 10:05 AM
Cobra Member

Mark,
You ever hop in your Fox and say.... dayum I wish my rusty 'vert handled like this?
You mean heim-jointed throttle rods and brake pedals will make that happen? B)

I'd be willing to bet your vert, even with all its suspension mods STILL doesn't handle as well as my Foxbody.
Old 8/6/04, 11:25 AM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Is there a missing the point smily?

You're down on any mod that you yourself have not done in the Dairy Queen realm. And my 'vert would surprise you I'm sure, given your personal experience in your '66 to the '88 you might not know the possibilities.

Maybe it will never meet that mark (though I consider it plenty low enough) but half the fun is trying to get there.

What do I know/care... I chromed the brake pedal arm to match my accelerator pedal setup (yeah converting to an accelerator CABLE was just about looks :crazy: )

You don't have to be the Gen. Custer of Concours ... even Charles Turner has built a modified car or two
Old 8/6/04, 11:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Jay@August 6, 2004, 11:28 AM
Gen. Custer of Concours ...
Old 8/6/04, 12:40 PM
Cobra Member

I know it's all about the challenge, and to each his own. I've had Mustangs all my life, and I really never have gotten into the modified world with any of them. I've always customized them with subtle mods, but never to the extremes I see today. I think it's because I see folks pour lots of time and money into them, without much improvement in performance. It just seems like an upside-down equation to me most of the time. Stroking an engine, installing bigger disc brakes, and putting some Konis on the corners all make complete sense to me. They have significant measureable results. Other things seem less obvious to me as to why anyone would bother.

And you're absolutely right, I have no idea how your convertible handles. I shouldn't have said anything about that. But I've seen first hand vintage racecars (set up for racing) running with modern streetcars, and the modern cars are usually much faster. Come out to a NASA event, and you'll see that they give the vintage cars a headstart in the competitive races.

I'm not an **** concours guy, you know that. My goal with Coppertone was to build a car that looked stock to the general public, but had subtle mods that improved the performance without making the car look like a hotrod. Which is where the title Dairy Queen Concours comes from. The public thinks it's stock, the judges know better.

You're on a different path, and I respect that. While I can't help but question why you find it necessary to change everything on the car, even parts that don't have an apparent weakness, I should keep my opinions to myself and remind myself that you're doing it cause you want to.

Rock on Slash!
:headbang:
Old 8/6/04, 01:04 PM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Not trying to sling mud, just helping the understanding that there's a million ways to go with these cars and it's not like we're some Star Wars dork because we choose to use the best (subjective) version of any part (we can find or afford) when replacing another.

The non-rollerized pedal supports wear out (proven) as does the factory methods of rust prevention ... you use Zero-Rust why not use the same preventative techniques on the shaft which not only supports your clutch pedal but also your brakes?

I too admire the guys that keep 'em extra clean and look up the correct location and shape of paint daubs.

BTW it's
Old 8/6/04, 02:59 PM
Cobra Member

Man, how did I miss that smiley? Can you get that blown up to be your Avatar?
Old 8/6/04, 08:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, who'd a thunk this thread would start controversy? I really thought this forum was gonna be different than the others

I can see you point. I don't get why people put nice paint jobs on cars just to drive down the road and get dings. Or drive a convertible with the top down so the interior can possibly get ruined or sun damaged. But hey, that's why we're called individuals. It would stink if everyone was identical.

My car started out as a 6 cyl 3 speed car. My wife's mother was the original owner/purchaser after graduating high school. She wanted a V8 but her father wouldn't let her. It remained a family vehicle and became my wifes first car at 16. It had seen some rough times. Tha car sat from 1989 until the late 90's when my wifes parents wanted the car gone from their driveway. At the time I had my 68 Charger R/T and my 70 Cuda "restomod" style car. I told my wife the mustang wasn't worth much and we should just try to sell it. She said "I always wished it was a V8 car". My buddies and I said we could make that happen. The project started as a V8, C4 swap. Shortly after the project start my Cuda and I met with same misfortune in being hit from behind during a spirited drive through the canyons. We bounced off the cayon walls and it was not pretty. R.I.P. Cuda. So then the Mustang became my new tinker toy. I like to tinker and try new things, and a beat up 6 cyl 3speed was just the ticket. Am I as fast as a late model? Probably not, but I like old cars not new (or late model). If I just wanted performance numbers I would get an early LS-1 powered F-bod and start ordering from bolt on city, or a miata, rx-7, etc.... To me, It's about making an old car unique and fun.

Besides, the whole reason I am doing the mod is because after I finished custom wiring my car this year I changed my hydraulic clutch master cylinder to a smaller one (since I change the location of the bulkhead connector). This lead to my hydraulic line being too close to the header and developing a leak. So, I pulled my 6 speed, clutch, scattershiled, and exhaust. I decided to have my headers re-ceramic coated in a polished look and my X section (from collectors, through X, all the way back to, and including, the mufflers) coated with black exhaust coating. While they were gone I decided to put in the Flaming River steering box and new oil pan I had. Since I had to remove the steering column tube I decided to make some modifications to the pedal stop I fabbed up during the initial install. Then I figured since I had the pedal assembly out I would also add the roller bearing. Oh, and I am making a plate for my scattershield that will have bulkhead connectors for the hydraulic lines. That way if this ever happens again I won't need to pull the trans. How's that for crazy? eace:
Old 8/6/04, 09:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 2MFF@August 6, 2004, 10:01 PM
Besides, the whole reason I am doing the mod is because after I finished custom wiring my car this year I changed my hydraulic clutch master cylinder to a smaller one (since I change the location of the bulkhead connector). This lead to my hydraulic line being too close to the header and developing a leak. So, I pulled my 6 speed, clutch, scattershiled, and exhaust. I decided to have my headers re-ceramic coated in a polished look and my X section (from collectors, through X, all the way back to, and including, the mufflers) coated with black exhaust coating. While they were gone I decided to put in the Flaming River steering box and new oil pan I had. Since I had to remove the steering column tube I decided to make some modifications to the pedal stop I fabbed up during the initial install. Then I figured since I had the pedal assembly out I would also add the roller bearing. Oh, and I am making a plate for my scattershield that will have bulkhead connectors for the hydraulic lines. That way if this ever happens again I won't need to pull the trans. How's that for crazy? eace:
Now, THAT's a serious case of while-I'm-at-it-itis!!!!

Mber's just stirring the pot a little. He's a "closet modifier". :shock: :shock:
Old 8/6/04, 10:05 PM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

DISCLOSURE: I've gotten to know Mark/Mber pretty well online over the years... been baiting him for awhile and he's been returning that favor. Good fun for the new bestest classic mustang forum
Old 8/7/04, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by GT350Clone@August 6, 2004, 9:41 PM
Now, THAT's a serious case of while-I'm-at-it-itis!!!!

I left out:
  • Replaced pilot bearing
  • Replaced Rear Main Seal
  • Install my new billet timing pointer
  • Install my drive shaft loop
  • Rebuild the hydraulic throw out bearing
Old 8/7/04, 10:01 AM
Cobra Member

Yea, it's all good. It's like debating whether you should put A-1 or Dale's on your ribeye. Always gonna be opinions. In this case, however, mine is the only one that makes sense.
Old 8/7/04, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mberglo@August 7, 2004, 10:04 AM
Always gonna be opinions. In this case, however, mine is the only one that makes sense.
OK, that may be true