1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Project Knightmare starts!

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/06, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

okay now the details ... the green machine is finally in San Diego and delivered to JBA and went under dyno as-is at 1:00. I will get the results tomorrowish. I did some budget crunching and hard thinking on what do to and how to approach. I am going to back off the stroker kit ( i need money to buy jet skiis!!!! ). I figure that is a good trade off. But while the motor is removed; I will ( and am ) consider some minor upgrades.

I will have more pics online as soon as I get back home and can upload to my web site.

Here is a list of some of the goodies going in:
  • TKO 600 5 Speed conversion - complete
  • clutch pedal assembly
  • aluminum raditor with dual fans
  • Baer 13" front and rears
  • Drive shaft modification and balance with new U joints
  • 9" diff with 3.5 gears
  • TCP Suframe connectors
  • New shocks front and rear
  • JME wood grain dash with white face gages - sweeet!!!
  • rear leaf springs
  • front coil springs and perches
  • Torque thrust II ( 17 x 9.5 and 17 x 7 )
  • Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 275/40/17 and 245/45/17
  • JBA 1 5/8" Mid length shorty headers with ceramic coating
  • Full Exhaust componters ( H-Pipe, mufflers, tail pipes and tips )
  • Engine bay cleanup - paint, hoses, new writing, clean clean clean
I have a couple of triggers set during the project that may allow more stuff to go in.

After almost 8 months of email exchanges and a couple of personal visits ... its rock and roll time.

Now I goto the beach and surf!!!!

Ok first dyno [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] 170 HP at the wheels at 3659 RPM and 305 torque at 2055 RPM. I have high vacuum and running rich ... thats all for now

OUT
Old 5/4/06, 10:28 PM
FR500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
awesome dude dont forget to post some pics [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 5/8/06, 12:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes I will be updating; I just got back from vacation and have some more thinking to do.

The engine was removed and the engine bay was cleaned up and painted ... looks very glossy.

more to come

e

EDIT - I updated my home site today and I uploaded some pictures but I have more to come. 9pm -- more pictures added. Finally caught up
Old 5/9/06, 03:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Went and looked at the latest pics. Glad you are doing this, brother. We need to keep the old Mustangs from the crusher.
Old 5/9/06, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Yea, were at the point where each day some old classic gets junked. I really hope to keep this one around for a long time.
Old 6/8/06, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Okay I am back from a long few weeks off and I have new updates on my website with new pictures ( including some surprises ).

In short the project is on schedule, almost all of the components are in and part of them are installed. If you look at the pictures under June 6th you will see the difference between stock wheels and new wheels. I also have engine block pictures as well.

The car was in a corner/backwall spot and unmoveable but I will have more opporunities to get under carriage photos. The project has shifted a little and it is usually based on budget and believe me ... its all about the budget.

I think I have improvised pretty good for this round but having a screaming 500HP classic will have to wait for maybe 10 years. Besides ... need to save money for get other toys too.

check out the pics and enjoy
Old 6/13/06, 10:46 AM
FR500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
that engine bay cleaned up nicely!!! and nice rims and rotors!!
Old 6/13/06, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

thanks

the long pole of the project is the JME console; probibly another two weeks out but the motor build is also in progress. Its almost ready to come together.
Old 6/16/06, 08:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Does the 69's come with 5 or 4 lug axles? I noticed that your's is 5 lug and I was wondering if you had to do any mods to her...

BTW... I'm jealous... I wish I was starting my project... and, She's Looking great!
Old 6/16/06, 12:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I have only seen them in five lugs ... maybe the v6 grandes come with them ... i dont know. I am doing mods by adding new rotors, brakes, brake pads, master cylinder. Is there a specific area of interest you are looking at? I got mods all over the place ... not really a new car stripped to the bone -- too much $$$ for that.
Old 6/16/06, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ill be building my own in a few years... just gathering all the info I can until then. Right now I'm trying to find someone that sells a motor mount for a 69 fastback that used with the 514ci Ford Racing Engine. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9287

I'm also thinking about this one, http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9285, but there are no perf. numbers up yet, so that's why I'm still unsure about which one I want. You can tell I have a high budget on this, and I want a lot out of her. I'm trying to get 900rwhp
Old 6/16/06, 11:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Would it have to be custom made, welded? Have you talked to an engine/performance shop?
Old 6/17/06, 08:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

I believe it would have to be custom made. I'd love to do it myself, but I doubt I'll be able to.
Old 6/18/06, 11:57 PM
Bullitt Member

do you have your project car yet? any pics?
Old 6/20/06, 07:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

I havn't started it yet. Just in the information gathering stage now. I want to decide on everything I want, from the chassis to the brakes, even the windshield wipers before I even buy the frame and have it fabricated.
Old 6/30/06, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Hello all ... I have just more pictures to add. My brother snapped these for me. I dont know how long they will stay on the site, as soon as I can get the originals from him, they will be on my site.

The engine is starting to come together slowly and from what JBA has told me, a lot of the car is almost ready to go. I will be visiting the car next week.

enjoy

http://members.***.net/dimitri7465/car/index.htm
Old 7/11/06, 12:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Greetings all ... Knightmare is getting very close and should be ready for the company classic car show coming in august. Although the body is not show standards ... all classics are welcome.

Today I want to share the JME console and the engine build. The console is sweet looking and I am excited to get behind the wheel and watch these gages work for me.

The motor is very clean and is waiting for the polished carb and aluminum valve covers. Hopefully in a few weeks the motor will be mated to new transmission and we can start the car.

Here is a direct link to the pictures ... the main offsite website has them too.

enjoy.

http://www.evilution.com/knightmare/enginebuild.html
Old 7/15/06, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just stumbled onto your thread, and I've got to say I like the project. Though I was wondering if you were really going to re-paint... I would personally hope not, cause the Jade on that car looks spectacular.

Anyways, good luck!
Old 7/16/06, 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Its a tough decision i admit; right now i am a few years from a re-paint ( if i will do it ). It was very hard finding the right car to begin with and finally I had to forget color preference and simply find a solid car.

What will happen next is interior work, replacing ****, handles, seats, carpet, etc etc -- the stuff I am comfortable doing myself.

Paint is the last thing I will do - well not true - if I keep sliver jade, i need to refresh the paint because it is faded too much and the body has scratches.

... so stay tuned ... get a few years to go.
Old 7/17/06, 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

What a nice solid car you have. I live in Ohio and its so hard to find Mustangs that look that solid.

Quick Reply: Project Knightmare starts!