1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Progress photo

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/04, 09:18 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been busy trying to get the engine up and running in my 66. Almost finished, just the braided fuel line needs to be assembled and installed. I am shooting for a Saturday afternoon start.

Here is a link to a photo hosted by someone you may recognize. Let me know what you think, Thanks, Jeff

http://users.zoominternet.net/~dodgeram/hclone1.jpg
Old 8/27/04, 09:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Wow, that is cleeeeeean.

Reminds me that my next project is to restore the engine compartment on mine.
Old 8/27/04, 09:46 AM
Cobra Member

schwweeettttttttttttt

..but I wouldn't drive through any potholes right now if I were you
________
E-cigs

Last edited by LMan; 8/20/11 at 08:22 AM.
Old 8/27/04, 11:40 AM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by LMan@August 27, 2004, 11:49 AM
schwweeettttttttttttt

..but I wouldn't drive through any potholes right now if I were you
He can drive through anything since he returned the POS Flaming River Rack and Pinion. Which after seeing that Overhaulin' last night again... it looks like they did the same thing and dumped it in the trash.

My theory on the OH gig is that they had a rack that was too short (explains the toe out problem they highlighted) so FR rushed a "fix" to lengthen the arms of the rack. Then when it came time for the motor install it was clear nothing would work so it got torn out and a regular old box went in.

If we could find out the timeframe it was filmed it would be interesting since I noted some drastic changes in the FR attitude and it was likely related to the taping.
Old 8/27/04, 01:00 PM
GT Member

I guess I should add the right now it sits on four jackstands, not on four tires.
I have other things to add and complete before I take it out for a drive. I want to be able to see if my rebuilt trans, new trans cooling lines leak before I try and drive away.

I have not even started on the interior assembly yet. But as we all know the fastbacks have only a few parts and assemble in only an hour or so. Yeah, right.

I have never had achance to watch OH, my wife controls the remote control for the TV. A small price to pay for having never been asked "how much was that" or " don't you think you spend enough time in the garage". A small price indeed.
Old 8/27/04, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Very nice indeed!

But your coil is mounted so close to the head, I had problems with mine being mounted like that and had to move it to the fenderwall.

The coil would overheat and then the car would die. Anyone else ever have that happen? It was with a stcok coil and an MSD unit.
Old 8/27/04, 09:17 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW! That bay looks as clean as can be!

Me likey.
Old 8/28/04, 06:30 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I'd eat off that engine!!
Old 8/28/04, 09:04 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by jc69Stang@August 27, 2004, 6:32 PM
Very nice indeed!

But your coil is mounted so close to the head, I had problems with mine being mounted like that and had to move it to the fenderwall.

The coil would overheat and then the car would die. Anyone else ever have that happen? It was with a stcok coil and an MSD unit.
I used a Ford Motorsport bracket, it leaves and inch or so of air space between the coil and the head. Since the coil was originally mounted to the head I am not concerned about it overheating. From your reply it sounds like you had the original coil, maybe it just wore out. I considered mounting the coil horizontal along the top of the intake, but the MSD instructions cautioned that this may cause the oil to leak. There is not a lot of space between the valve cover and dizzy, it would be pretty tight. The Motorsport coil wire was not long enough to mount the coil on the innerfender well area, I don't care for the look of all kinds of stuff hanging on the fenders. Remember that is a personal opinion, what you do to your own car is up to you.
Old 8/28/04, 09:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Looks GREAT! I like the clean look you've got working there!

Don't worry too much about the coil mount. Mine is setup exactly the same, and has not caused any problem in 6 seasons of driving.

Old 8/28/04, 09:54 AM
GT Member

Thanks, I did want the clean look to show thru. I am a little disappointed about one thing, if you look at the height of the dizzy in relation to the carb you will notice how close they are. I have a new Cobra air filter that wanted to use, but there is just no way to get it to fit in there with that dizzy.

I have been looking at other options and I am now leaning towards the K & N Xtreme with a drop base. I will need a drop base no matter which air filter I select due to the limited clearance. Any opinions on these units?