1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

PEOPLE WHO KNOW MORE ABOUT CARS THAN ME

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/05, 09:58 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
good news: i founr a 78 ghia 302 auto in the junkyard. theres also an 89GT w/ a 83 HO motor and AOD (i think) going back tomoro to take what i want, but i have a few Qs (again)
bad news: i dunno if everything will all work

1. since the 78 is anauto (C4 right?), do i need a new driveshaft?
2. if i went with and AOD, would i need a new driveshaft? would either of the driveshafts from the foxbody or the ghia work for the AOD? also would i need any other mods for a an AOD? also, which tranny do you recommend? i prefer AOD for that extra gear...
3. do i really need the V8 ghia's springs? will my car rub the ground if i dont?
4. will seats from an 89 fit my II? they're not original, some really nice aftermarket leather racing seats
5. since im replacing a 171 V6 with a 302, do i need a new fuel pump? will the one from the 89 or 78 work?

if theres anything else i didnt mention but you think i haveent thought of yet or you think i should know about doing a swap like this PLEASE let me know!

i REALLY appreciate all your guys's help!

also posting in the fox place, cuz thers fox related stuff here...
Old 7/7/05, 10:15 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driveshaft:

If you are keeping the 4-speed tranny, then you should be fine. If you are stepping up to the C4, then you may have a problem if the driveshaft is longer/shorter. Also keep in mind the other Mustang might have a different rearend which may not allow a slam dunk bolt in.

Get the V8's springs, or buy new progressive rate coilsprings that will lower your car and give you good handling.

Grab the seats out of the '89. If they don't fit, you make them fit by modifying the brakets. Simple as that

I am assuming the motor in the 89 has a carb, so make sure the mechanical fuel pump is used from those engines.
Old 7/7/05, 09:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
1) The 171 vs 302 will likely result in your needing a bellhousing to keep the 4 speed, and whatever bracketry/cables/linkage that might entail.

2) You could just go '78 302 with C4, the driveshaft is there too, right? That's gonna be fine then, but you might also need that rear end to make it all work. I'm not sure about that one, but I betcha you can go fan to rear-ujoint with that. Get all the brackets and shifter from the 78 of course, for your auto conversion. And the brake pedal assembly (a dead clutch pedal isn't right, man.)

3) Heavier engine = beefer springs, "or else."

4) If I can put them in my '66 Muskrat, you can put them in your 78. However, I'm betting the rears won't fit right, the '76 is 'prolly too skinny. Only one way to find out, of course...

5) You could use a v8 mechanical pump, or block that off and get an electric one. Your choice. Done lotsa times. Peeps will tell ya different stories on that, but I'd go electric.

IMO, considering what you're tryin' to do, the whole 78 302/C4 is probably your best bet, but you could also put that C4 behind the '83 5.0. Bolts right up, and the motor might be more powerful.

C'mon, Arin, go get a T5. 5 speed 5.0 76 Cobra II? But I'd have an EFI from a 95 GT if I could, while I"m saying what *I'd* do to your car...

/me is jealous!
Old 7/7/05, 09:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Whoops... I mean, ..."put them in your '76." I miss my ol' orange bomb from '78... :cry:

Oh, yeah, I meant to also say that anything involving the AOD will probably require a new driveshaft, and I'm pretty sure the AOD isn't the same length as the C4 or your 4 speed.

Ok, I'm done. Honest.
Old 7/9/05, 02:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been away for a bit so I am sorry to hear that you're not going for the five speed, but with all this work you're doing in the junkyard it makes me want a stang for myself so bad. I'm excited for you too.
I imagine you are learning lots as you go. that's one reason I want to get my own car to build.
Old 7/11/05, 09:13 AM
Post *****

i wanted a 5 speed, but couldnt find any in my price rrange (there were noe @ the yard and that meant i'd have to get a new one). i went back, the C4 was gone and so was the carb'd 302. i pulled a 302 from a '90 lincln continental and took the AOD out of it. but the wires were $^%ed so EFI was a no-go unless i het a megasquirt thingy or get all the EFI stuff out of another stang.... which i've been thinking about doin'

engine/trans came to abou $190 for the record

******just hit me!!!!! your belhoisung idea! why the hel didnt i think of that before?! doh! but then gain, this 4speed aint a toploader and i've heard from other II guys that it aint tat strong. but ill keep the cluthc pedal and all the stuff incase i ever get my hands on a T-5, but for now, i just cant afford it

but i'm totally diving into the classifieds trying to find one, but after i get the other running gear.... springs (did i mention the enite M II was like stripped when i got back the next day? al i got out of that thing was a hood and a "ghia" logo ), rad, EFI junk or a new carb/intake setup, uel pump etc.

once its all up n running i can focus on the hi po stuff, aussie cleveand 2v heads, the conversion kit, alum water pump...or maybe electric, 331 stroker kit, a blower etc....

oh man i cant wait... my stupid wallet wont keep up wih my ambition

but i do appreciate the help guys. by no mans do i think that i no everything yet, so any help at all rocks. learning car stuff from working on it on your own is sweet!

Andy, i hope you find the car you want soon. i know this might sound like im rubbin it it, but im not: workin on ur own car feels so great! you learn new stuff and get exp. heck craigslist.com and local classifieds site for something. i';m sure youll fund something soon...
Old 7/19/05, 04:04 PM

[quote=houtex,July 7, 2005, 9:56 PM]
1) The 171 vs 302 will likely result in your needing a bellhousing to keep the 4 speed, and whatever bracketry/cables/linkage that might entail.

New bellhousing for sure. You can run the 6 cyl rad behind the 8 if you change the pilot bearing but its weaker than the V8 rad4. It wont hold up to much abuse at all.
I would suggest the C4 as well.

2) You could just go '78 302 with C4, the driveshaft is there too, right? That's gonna be fine then, but you might also need that rear end to make it all work. I'm not sure about that one, but I betcha you can go fan to rear-ujoint with that. Get all the brackets and shifter from the 78 of course, for your auto conversion. And the brake pedal assembly (a dead clutch pedal isn't right, man.)

If you have a v6 II it will have the 8" rear which is fine for moderate performance. Especially with an automatic. Fair chance it already has 3.55 gears to.

3) Heavier engine = beefer springs, "or else."

If the springs on yours are tired, and they probably are, i agree here.

4) If I can put them in my '66 Muskrat, you can put them in your 78. However, I'm betting the rears won't fit right, the '76 is 'prolly too skinny. Only one way to find out, of course...

Front seats will fit with avery little modification, back seats no.

5) You could use a v8 mechanical pump, or block that off and get an electric one. Your choice. Done lotsa times. Peeps will tell ya different stories on that, but I'd go electric.

Your preference here but a replacement fuel pump is certainly cheap enough and will be plenty for your initial setup.

6) IMO, considering what you're tryin' to do, the whole 78 302/C4 is probably your best bet, but you could also put that C4 behind the '83 5.0. Bolts right up, and the motor might be more powerful.

I agree Best way to do it is to get all the stuff off the ghia you found. radiator, shroud, motor mounts, tranny cross member, shifter, drive shaft etc. If you go with the AOD your gonna be fabricating crossmembers, a performance exhaust system will be a bear to fit..especially headers and you will need a modified driveshaft. Theres little performance difference tween the 78 and the 83 motor.
Old 7/19/05, 04:10 PM

C'mon, Arin, go get a T5. 5 speed 5.0 76 Cobra II?

T5 presents the same problems as the AOD UNLESS you can get your hands on the II specific bellhousing and flywheel. The fox body bell is much larger creating big problems for header installation. the preferable t5 for the II is the 95 stang t5 which has a longer input shaft than the earlier models meaning you dont have to have a pilot bearing adapter. There is some fab work involved here though its minimal but with the II rad4 v8 bellhousing and flywheel you can set it up and avoid the exhaust problems. you will still have to fab up a cross member.
Old 7/20/05, 10:43 AM
Post *****

well, like i said (did i say it?) my motor is from a '90 lincoln, not the 83 (which was later explained to me to be an 85 by another 'stang dude that was there)

i pretty much have almost nothing left in my money pool for the car so another tranny is out of the Q, unless someone with a T-5 is willing to trade it for an AOD (and if you are, let me know!)

anyhoo, i can live with an auto for a while.... i guess....

actually.. does anyone know if the 5spd autyo from the 05 would fit? thats an intersting project buyt then theres that whole lakc of money thing. thats my main obstacle right nowe lol

oh and Bob, if you're the self proclamed leader of the Mustang II mafia, can i be second in command? and do i get free pasta? mmmm pasta
Old 7/20/05, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by future9er24@July 20, 2005, 10:46 AM
well, like i said (did i say it?) my motor is from a '90 lincoln, not the 83 (which was later explained to me to be an 85 by another 'stang dude that was there)

i pretty much have almost nothing left in my money pool for the car so another tranny is out of the Q, unless someone with a T-5 is willing to trade it for an AOD (and if you are, let me know!)

anyhoo, i can live with an auto for a while.... i guess....
actually.. does anyone know if the 5spd autyo from the 05 would fit? thats an intersting project buyt then theres that whole lakc of money thing. thats my main obstacle right nowe lol

oh and Bob, if you're the self proclamed leader of the Mustang II mafia, can i be second in command? and do i get free pasta? mmmm pasta
You can make any tranny work, it comes down to time, fab skills, what you want the car for and of course money. the AOD will work, Its a fine tranny if you gear the rear pretty low. The prob you will run into is with the exhaust. IIs are real tight. Thats why the bell housing and flywheel/flex plate is unique. Its so you can still work around the motor. You can make it work but will have trouble with headers and a good exhaust system. the rest can be fixed with a BFH.

Can always use a second in command in case i get bumped off.
Old 7/21/05, 07:07 AM
Post *****

i hear those vega guys are gonna make a move soon :hiding:

and are you talking about rear exit (regular) exhast setup, or a side exhaust setup. i really wanted to go with shelby sidepipes. would there still be as mucy interference?
Old 7/21/05, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by future9er24@July 21, 2005, 7:10 AM
i hear those vega guys are gonna make a move soon :hiding:
and are you talking about rear exit (regular) exhast setup, or a side exhaust setup. i really wanted to go with shelby sidepipes. would there still be as mucy interference?
Your biggest problem is the actual headers. The headers are an extremely tight fit WITH the correct bellhousing installed. When you go to larger bells and or trannys you have to start butchering headers, beat to fit, heat and bend etc basically meaning you will spend more time on your exhaust than with any other aspect of your engine install. It can be done, but it wont be pretty and probably wont flow to well after all the mods you will have to do. I understand your tight for cash but if you can acquire the II C4 it will save you alot of headaches... i promise.

under the car you can run any exhaust you want, the difference there is how low they are to the ground and how often you rip them off on speed bumps. Side pipes probably wouldnt be a bad choice.
Old 7/21/05, 10:28 AM
Post *****

unfortunately the C4 was gone whan i went back. thats another reason why i took the AOD
Old 7/21/05, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by future9er24@July 21, 2005, 10:31 AM
unfortunately the C4 was gone whan i went back. thats another reason why i took the AOD

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

numbers are correct for the mustang II
Old 7/21/05, 06:45 PM
Post *****

will the RAD4 fit the 302 right away? or do i need a new bellhousing?
Old 7/25/05, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by future9er24@July 21, 2005, 6:48 PM
will the RAD4 fit the 302 right away? or do i need a new bellhousing?
You will need the II specific v-8 bellhousing and flywheel for the rad 4. Im not sure if another v8 bell would work with the rad or not. Im guessing yes, but i dont know specifics. Also if its the v6 rad you were talking about you will have to change the pilot bearing too.

I have a complete v8 rad4 setup but im not sure i want to part with it.
Old 7/29/05, 09:26 PM
Post *****

hey bob, just out of curiosity, do you have any spare V8 motor mounts for a II layin around?

just name the price

thanks again bro
Old 8/1/05, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by future9er24@July 29, 2005, 9:29 PM
hey bob, just out of curiosity, do you have any spare V8 motor mounts for a II layin around?
Good luck with that one. I fabbed some solid motor mounts for mine that are taller to clear a larger pan so i could run the boss windage tray. If you got any buddies that are good with a torch and a welder, there a snap to make.

Which reminds me you will need the II specific 302 oil pan to use the factory motor mounts. Larger pans will hit the rack. Otherwise your going to have to fab up mounts anyway.
Old 8/1/05, 05:20 PM
Post *****

oil pan? Doh! will i get to finish this swap before summer lol. time to finally get that ebay thing working...
Old 8/3/05, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Be very careful with eBay.
You would do better with the suppliers listed on mustangii.net.
I had two bad experiences with II parts on ebay. Buyer Beware.

Quick Reply: PEOPLE WHO KNOW MORE ABOUT CARS THAN ME