1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Over Haulin' 65 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/04, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to the link that Jay posted Ford donated a 347 stroker for it. I'm not sure I would consider a blown "C" a "good engine". :flame2:
Old 8/17/04, 08:24 PM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

CLASSIC!

Flaming River is a big sponsor of the show, well they get to the part where the rack and pinion does not work on the car and suddenly the sponsor name dropping stops and it's on to the pranking crap.

Near the end they mention a Flaming River steering column but nothing else. Wonder if the rack and pinion stayed?
Old 8/17/04, 09:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Jay@August 17, 2004, 9:27 PM

Near the end they mention a Flaming River steering column but nothing else. Wonder if the rack and pinion stayed?
Good question! I heard the steering column bit at the end, but that's it.

OK, here are my thoughts on the show in general.

Pro:
• Custom fit bumpers. Love it. If I had the means and know-how, I would definately do this to mine.
• Smoothed front valance. Who needs a front license plate, right?
• Shelby hood. Nothing custom about it, but I liked it enough that I have one myself. :P
• Shaved antenna. Again, I liked that touch enough to do myself as well.
• Interior. There were some cool things going on with the door panels.
• G force T-5. I want one. Period.
• Custom scallop in place of the stock roof vents. Though this is one of my (if not the most) favorite aspects of a fastback, their custom version looks cool.

Con:
• Custom scallop in place of the stock roof vents. I know Troy (of RadRides by Troy) and Foose are buddies. I wonder how he feels about Chip swiping one of the most distinguishing custom touches of the Fast Forward Fastback?
• In general, they didn't spend nearly enough time actually showing the finished product. What was going on with the weird custom stereo stuff behind the rear seat? I couldn't tell you because they barely showed it.
• LeMans stripes. C'mon Chip. The guy didn't even have any Shelby aspirations. You just threw in the towel early on the design buddy. By far the least time/energy spent on a design of any of the overhaulin episodes.
• Original fastback used as the car for this episode. There goes any chance in H-E-double hockeysticks of my car ever making the show.
• Crate engine. No supercharger? How's about an EFI swap? Oh well, I guess a swap from 200ci to 347ci ain't so bad.

Overall, I loved the show, but I'm a $ucker for mustang exposure and this show in particular. I just wish Foose had consulted me on some of the details.

As far as the manufactured "drama" that is part of every episode; I don't mind it so much. At the very least, it adds to the enthusiasm factor for when the car is unveiled to the owner, and at the most, it's the part my wife enjoys most, which means she watches every episode with me, and I love that.
Old 8/17/04, 10:03 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm thinking about getting Bridget to apply for me and the old '73. No one restores 1973 coupes!
Old 8/17/04, 10:09 PM
Brad's Brother

I think that's a prime candidate! Might wanna get current tags and make them think it's actually driven... :bang:
Old 8/17/04, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by BlueStangVert@August 17, 2004, 10:06 PM
I'm thinking about getting Bridget to apply for me and the old '73. No one restores 1973 coupes!
eh hem.... a 72 coupe is close enough... BTW I'm still watching the second half (and taping the entire thing)
Old 8/18/04, 06:21 AM
Cobra Member

I hope it turns into an Eleanor. We can never have too many Eleanors.
________
JennyLove live

Last edited by LMan; 8/20/11 at 08:16 AM.
Old 8/18/04, 07:39 AM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

My memory on the Fast Forward Fastback is sketchy, for some reason I thought Foose did the sketch for Troy? Anyway, even with the Mustang as the centerpiece I did not watch the entire thing (flipping between it and the GNR Behind the Music on VH1 )

Noticed they did not even paint the underside of the hood. :stubborn:
Old 8/18/04, 07:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BlueStangVert@August 17, 2004, 10:06 PM
...there's a reason for that......

j/k
________
BUY MARIJUANA SEEDS

Last edited by LMan; 8/20/11 at 08:16 AM.
Old 8/18/04, 07:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Jay@August 18, 2004, 7:42 AM
My memory on the Fast Forward Fastback is sketchy, for some reason I thought Foose did the sketch for Troy?
He did. :worship:
Old 8/18/04, 07:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by jpony645+August 18, 2004, 8:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jpony645 @ August 18, 2004, 8:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jay@August 18, 2004, 7:42 AM
My memory on the Fast Forward Fastback is sketchy, for some reason I thought Foose did the sketch for Troy?
He did. :worship: [/b][/quote]
Really? Well that's pretty cool. I guess Chip is of the opinion that every fastback should have that roof?
Old 8/18/04, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well if it works..........
Old 8/18/04, 09:08 AM

I was thinking about using Shelby stripes on that car, and here's what I've determined:

Mustang is probably the most restored car on the planet. Every paint scheme you can think of has been done, so why not go back to what's worked for 40 years? I'm glad they used Shelby specs though; you can really screw up stripes on a Mustang if you don't.
Old 8/18/04, 09:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by BlueStangVert@August 18, 2004, 10:11 AM
I was thinking about using Shelby stripes on that car, and here's what I've determined:

Mustang is probably the most restored car on the planet. Every paint scheme you can think of has been done, so why not go back to what's worked for 40 years? I'm glad they used Shelby specs though; you can really screw up stripes on a Mustang if you don't.
I disagree. I'm no Foose, and I think I managed to come up with something that I've never seen before (black with black pearl flames). You'd think Chip could do better than some guy at a newspaper in Texas.

:tex:

I do agree with this though, if you're going with LeMans stripes, do it right and go with the original specs.
Old 8/18/04, 09:38 AM

True Blake, but his daughter said he was a "Shelby kinda guy", so I think it was really what the father wanted.
Old 8/18/04, 09:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by BlueStangVert@August 18, 2004, 10:41 AM
True Blake, but his daughter said he was a "Shelby kinda guy", so I think it was really what the father wanted.
See, that's the thing. I don't think he was. Foose asked if he liked Shelbys, and she said yes like she had heard the name before. The guy said himself something along the lines of "so you guys went with the Shelby look, huh?" at the unveiling. Obviously he was happy with the results (I would've been too), but I look to this show to throw around a bit of innovation, and Foose specializes is ground breaking design. I think the guy would've been happy with just about any custom paint. (Or just fix all that rust and deliver it in primer )
Old 8/18/04, 03:24 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would loved to gotten that car. My dad had a 65GT Fastback which he sold to his brother when I was 1yr old. I used to ride in it with my uncle when he was in college. In 1982 my uncle asked me and my father have we wanted to buy it back and unfortunately we said no.

I guess I not very creative either. I love the LeMans stripes, especially the blue with white stripes.

Since Ford isn't going to offer the stripes on the 05, I'm tempted to buy a blue 05/06 and put the stripes on myself.
Old 8/18/04, 04:14 PM
GT Member

I watch the show regularly, in spite of being annoyed by the "pranks". I've noticed that Chip Foose tends to try and make a car that fits the personality of the owner.

The fact that the car was turned into a Shelby clone with Le Mans stripes may not be because Foose was out of ideas; it may be what the owner aspired to...
Old 8/19/04, 05:28 AM

I happened to watch the show for a second time last night, as my kids wanted to see it. IMO, I don't think the wife or daughter even knew what a Shelby was. They didn't even repond to his question about him liking Shelby's until the host said they were "the high perfomance" models, and then she said "yes". I guess the difference is that this resonse was probably the determining factor in Foose adding the Shelby ques. I personally would like to have seen it go a different way, although I probably prefer what they did to his normal two tone pastel colored paint schemes. In the end the dad's reaction to the finished car seemed genuine, so it may not matter.
I also noticed that this '65 car had a '66 type round gauge instrument panel before they started work on it, which makes me wonder what it really was. Based on the rest of the car, it just seems unlikely that he added the round gauge IP himself. What do you guys think?
Old 8/19/04, 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

The car had pony interior which in turn gave it the 5 gauge deluxe instrument panel. It's not the same as a 66 is because it has an extra chrome strip at the top of the panel.

1966 (plain but you can see the difference in the chrome strips)

Quick Reply: Over Haulin' 65 Fastback