1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Oil On Spark Plugs

Old 9/4/17, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil On Spark Plugs

Hello All,

I'm a fairly new owner of a 1965 mustang (200, straight 6 engine. Four speed)

I was checking the spark plugs today and found oil all around the threads of my 3rd, 4th, and 6th, spark plugs. I'm assuming that is a problem, because I've never noticed that before, and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it might be caused by.

Thank you!

- LittleOne65
Old 9/4/17, 07:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Is the oil 'inside' or 'outside' on the spark plug? Aka, is the oil near the tip that goes in the cylinder head, or towards the insulator and plug boot end?

If it's the first, then that's probably rings and/or valve seals, allowing oil to get in the engine and foul the plugs. You might can try some snake oil such as Engine Restore in lieu of rebuilding the engine. Oh, yeah, and you'll need to replace them plugs.

If it's the second, then there's a valve cover gasket leaking, and that's an easy enough fix. There's only like 16 different methods though, pick your favorite and/or the one that fits your situation. You *might* need to replace the plugs in question, if the oil got down in there. I'd imagine the oil leak would be somewhat obvious, though...?

Hope that helps, good luck.

Search this Thread