1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

new classic mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/05, 09:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After seeing a couple of messages about the elenaor and how much we love it or hate it has made me think of a new subject.

there is available whole body replacement shells -- i have seen them in magazines for camaros ( i think it was a 68 ). Mustangs and others are planned but I guess the 68 chevy was used as a test mule. I dont know currently where development stands. There is no doubt that the Gone in Sixity Seconds movie has skyrocketted classic car values.

which has made them out of reach for many of us, leaving us to sludge in junk yards risking dollars on basicly wrecks.

so with that in mind ... i present / ask the following

what if ... someone ( like saleen, foose, west coast, etc etc etc ) took these new replica bodies and were able to build true clones of original muscle cars ... nothing too outrageous ... a standard fast back powered by a stock 289, 302, or 351 ( hovering around 300 HP ) ( carb, non-EFI ) and with a 4 speed auto or a 5 speed manual ( over drive transmissions ).
Give them basic features ( even an AC delete option ). No power windows, keep it as original as possible but you would have new brakes, new engine, drive train, suspension ... but not tuned to the level of $100K eleanor rides. And these would not be rare replicas of Bosses or GT 500 KRs etc.

... this is not a replacement for the 2005s and later ...

would you champion them?
would you buy one if it was acceptbily priced? say 25K, 30K???
would you base on them as fakes?

know that as time goes on ... original mustangs will fade from accidents and other unnatural causes.

There was a company in Fresno that would build you such a car for 25K, but they used junks and rebuilt them taking about 9 months to complete. But their website has gone offline so i dont know what their status is.

anyway food for thought
Old 12/28/05, 10:09 PM
FR500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thats a darn good idea....sure id buy one even...id look at it from the perspective that ur getting an awesome real replica of an amazing car for the right price
Old 12/28/05, 10:28 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you talking about restorations, or a re-creation of an original, but titled as say an 06 model.

A recreation is a fake plain and simple in my book. Its real or its not. I don't spend money on fake items.
Old 12/28/05, 11:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i suppose you would call this a recreation ... forget all the legal BS for now ... its just the idea based on an article i skimmed through on a muscle car mag ... about 6 to 9 months ago. The test mule was a complete body of a 68 camaro and just imagine what would could put underneath the body ... a complete car, built just like the classics from the days except with all new parts.

eleanors used "reserved" vins to get their status ( right? ) ... i dont know what would happen here ... you cant just build a car and call it a 1966 fast back version 2 ....

When i read that article ... the idea came to mind about building a 1969 for myself ( since i was having a hard time finding one a year ago ) ... i would buy the shell and then add the parts ... of course a one off will cost a lot more.

the opinion of being fake or not is entitled to each person where they come out. for me ... i could support such a thing if it is was done right ... i mean look at all those kit cars you see, like the cobra roadster kits; two of my co workers have them and everyone loves them ... but they are fake as well.

I am gald to see them though ... of course if my purposal/idea were to ever see the day ... it would have to be branded as such to inform the public that is a replica.

for now ... i would love to see a program like that take off for the every day muscle fan that can only afford 30K instead of 100K+
Old 12/29/05, 12:54 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
eh, i wouldnt mind, as long as ppl dont say that they ARE real cars. treat em like the factory five replicas, as long as everyone acknowledges that they are indeed remakes and not originals, then its all chill

that make any sense?

so i think theyre cool as long as theyre not overpriced, not passed off as originals (kind of like clones, if ya kno what i mean) and are 100% acknowledged to be fake.
Old 12/29/05, 08:46 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The main problem I see is that a newly manufactured vehicle would have to be titled as an 06, and have to go through a crash test(expensive and not likely), or titled as a kit car. The latter is more likely, but runs into some legal questions (like Shelby and Cobra), and also some insurers won't insure kit cars. So, its a murky area right now. I'm sure there is some demand for something like this, but how big it is, is unknown.
Old 12/29/05, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The reman body for the camaro is being made and sold in canada now and they are planning to release the molds for the 67 fastback again to reman them soon... so keep you eyes open it will flood the market with new old body styles like the camaro and just increase the price of true original one but might it harder to tell the difference to the average buyer who does not know and get taken thinking it was original but Not!