1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Nationwide Scrappage Legislation alert!!

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/08, 04:16 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nationwide Scrappage Legislation alert!!

Guys,

Just wanted to drop in with some news that might be of interest to the classic guys among us, and maybe you can spread this to friends and stuff on other forums in time to do something about it.

Part of the "new" stimulus package being introduced is a nationwide scrappage program - this came direct from SEMA political action network today. No matter your politcal leanings, this can have a detrimental effect on our hobby, especially on getting parts cars or donors for restoration, etc.. and if this goes, then the next thing is to go for "rolling" scrappage at a predetermined age, etc... so I just don't want us going down this path.

While I normally post in the 05-09 forums (that's what we manufacture parts for) I have a classic 73, and wouldn't want to see a law like this on the books - it would've changed my entire adult life had it been in place when I was a teen.

Here it is, do as you will with it:

http://echo.bluehornet.com/hostedema...0E5E3F6CBB7FD1
Old 12/29/08, 06:33 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for posting this. I just sent in what I think about it. I'll post this on another forum in the classic section. This isn't good for me since I own a 67 and only 16.

Last edited by BA Mustang; 12/29/08 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12/29/08, 06:43 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was 15 when I got my 73 Mach 1, which has been with me ever since. I'm now owner of my own company that produces parts for the 05+ cars, but I couldn't have done it without the education I received in my garage and driveway over the years dealing with other company's aftermarket products as well as restoring original parts back to service.

My thoughts are exactly to people like you, who are in the position that they want to be in the hobby, but are barred currently from affording to buy the newest, shiniest parts. If a program like this takes hold, there will be less and less available for people like yourself (and myself to some extent) meaning that the rmaining parts will skyrocket in cost to where there will be no way many of us will be able to afford them.

Again, a slippery slope that they are trying to take us down.