1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Idea for hiding upgraded stereo

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/05, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car has the factory console in it which has the flip up door underneath the dash. I was thinking that this would be a great spot to install my CD/MP3/Stereo. I can't remember ever seeing anyone mount one in there.

I haven't tried it out yet but I was thinking that a u-shaped bracket could be used to mount the stereo to the bottom of the console. I would drill 2 small holes through the console, insert 2 bolts with washers through the bracket, console & a flat metal piece on the underside, then put another washer and the nut on there. That should hold it pretty steady. Putting it in there allows easier access than the glove box and you can still hide it by flipping the console door down.

What do you all think? Have I missed any possible problems with doing this?
Old 3/3/05, 05:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by jpony645@March 3, 2005, 4:33 PM
My car has the factory console in it which has the flip up door underneath the dash. I was thinking that this would be a great spot to install my CD/MP3/Stereo. I can't remember ever seeing anyone mount one in there.

I haven't tried it out yet but I was thinking that a u-shaped bracket could be used to mount the stereo to the bottom of the console. I would drill 2 small holes through the console, insert 2 bolts with washers through the bracket, console & a flat metal piece on the underside, then put another washer and the nut on there. That should hold it pretty steady. Putting it in there allows easier access than the glove box and you can still hide it by flipping the console door down.

What do you all think? Have I missed any possible problems with doing this?

sounds like it would work fine as long as you don't have ac
Old 3/3/05, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

It should work. Mine is in the glovebox and with a remote and a line out for my iPod, I never have to open the door. I'd say, which do you use more--the storage space or the glove box? Put it where you don't need the space.
Old 3/3/05, 08:14 PM

I am thinking of upgrading my stereo as well. However because I have a vert I am not sure for the best place to put speakers. I can put two 61/2 up front on the kick panels. But I do not know what to do for the rear. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of doing is putting very small speakers like 31/2 on the area that runs along the sides of the back seat. However, I don’t think this set up will sound very good.

Thanks
Old 3/4/05, 07:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Paul@March 3, 2005, 6:21 PM
It should work. Mine is in the glovebox and with a remote and a line out for my iPod, I never have to open the door. I'd say, which do you use more--the storage space or the glove box? Put it where you don't need the space.

Well I'm installing a Vintage Air a/c system. It fits under the dash in place of the heater box. Because it is much bigger than the heater box they send a much smaller glove box liner so a stereo will no longer fit in there. The console is pretty much my only option since I will not cut my original dash.

The a/c system uses small vents mounter under each corner of the dash and 2 in the center(Dan66 has a similar setup). They will be placed on each side of the console.
Old 3/4/05, 08:15 AM
GT Member

Is the console wide enough to accomadate the chassis? I thought that the chassis of these radios are wider than the console. :scratch:
Old 3/4/05, 08:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good question. So far I've just been brainstorming and I haven't checked it yet. I have an old CD player that I'm going to test it with this weekend. That could be a problem. :scratch:
Old 3/4/05, 09:40 AM
Cobra Member

pic (s) for reference?
Old 3/4/05, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by LMan@March 4, 2005, 10:43 AM
pic (s) for reference?

After seeing this picture, Hertz may be right. It may not be wide enough to put a stereo in there.
Old 3/4/05, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I can't imagine that someone doesnt' make a small chassis stereo? How about one of those hide-away systems that has the guts hidden and only a LCD panel to place?

You want to also make sure that your door will function properly with the chassis in there.

I wish mine had the long console as I'd like the storage, but I like the factory AC, too, now that I've ditched the york compressor and gone with a Sanden.

-P
Old 3/4/05, 11:48 AM
Cobra Member

you could put a small head unit in there and put the changer in the trunk....
Old 3/4/05, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Who the heck wants a CHANGER? It'll be a single or 3 disc in-dash unit with stereo. I'll have to do some measuring this weekend to see if it'll work. If not then I guess I'll be humming my way to work.
Old 3/4/05, 02:14 PM
GT Member

I think the problem is the ears on the door of the console, they are pretty close together.

I saw on another forum where someone used a radio delete panel to mount a detachable faceplate to, they soldered an extension to the radio mounted in the glove compartment. Solved the cutting of the dash and having to open the glove box for every adjustment of the radio. He was still able to load CD's in the head unit even with the faceplate off.
Old 3/4/05, 02:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mber has his set up that way. My problem with that is the lack of space in the new glove box liner due to the a/c system I'm using.
Old 3/4/05, 02:44 PM
GT Member

I am thinking of a ghetto blaster sitting on the back seat. No cutting, no wires, no class..... :notnice:
Old 3/4/05, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Been there, done that.
Old 3/4/05, 05:00 PM
Cobra Member

Mount an amplifier in the trunk, run RCA cables to the front, where you can plug anything in from an MP3 player to Satellite Receiver to Walkman.
Old 3/5/05, 08:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Interesting idea. That could be possible solution.
Old 3/8/05, 06:59 AM

thats a nice idea.. i have aslo been thinking about a stereo.. i do not want to cut the dash.. and i do not want to ruin the glovebox... i have been thinking about a hidden stereo behind the dash.. and then have a wireless remote maybe..? and kickpanelspeakers etc.. :mellow:
Old 3/11/05, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think you're going to find enough room behind the dash to fit a stereo in there. You'll also run into a problem with a wireless remote operating through the metal dash. How are you going to see your stereo display?

BTW, I got busy with other things and still haven't checked the size of the console opening. I think it'll be close though, just going by memory.

Quick Reply: Idea for hiding upgraded stereo