1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

How to check the fuel gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/04, 12:48 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just replaced my fuel sending unit as my gauge has been reading "E" for sometime now. I was positive it was the sending unit because it died on me the same way as others have in the past. Sure 'nuff - its float was filled with gas. Got the new one in and the tank refilled, but it still reads "E."

So I assume it's got the be the gauge. I know the way to check it is to "ground it" and see if it pegs at "F," right? But what exactly is the proper way to ground it for this test?
Old 10/17/04, 04:58 PM
GT Member

Update: I had put about 5 gallons back into my tank after the new fuel sender was installed. (That's when it was still reading empty.) I just now drove to top the tank off and low and behold it now registers 3/4 of a tank. I KNOW it's full to the rim...

So apparently my gauge does work; but could it still be the problem? In all my experiences, a partial reading means the sender is going out. What gives?
Old 10/17/04, 05:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the same problem. I put a new sender in my tank, then bought the Auto Meter gauge for my car and it never reads right. I hope someone on here can shed some light to this...