1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Hey guys

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/06, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys! Considering that this is my first post I figured I'd introduce myself. I'm 19 years old and have been around cars for most of my life now, however they havent been fords so Im not going to say anymore. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] Heres my situation. I have a friend and her father has an old 67 coupe sitting in their garage that he wants to get rid of dirt cheap. So I go over there to check the car out. It's been sitting for 13 years, and overall it doesn't look too bad. It has only a few small surface rust patches, and thats fine because I would paint the car within the next few years anyways. Here's where things get wierd to me. It's got the 6 cylinder engine in there with a 3 speed on the floor, and thats fine with me, cause I was contemplating on using it as a daily driver anyways, with the cost of gas I wouldnt be able to afford an 8. But the guy says that you can't start it with the starter. He says that when he used to drive it, in order to start it he would have to take out the spark plugs, squirt some oil into the holes, replace the spark plugs, and than crank the motor over by using a wrench on the crankshaft. Why would he need to do that? What problems might there be that would make him have to start it that way, and how damaged could the engine be? Now I would more than likely take the engine out and do a rebuild anyways, just to replace the seals and whatnot, and even though Im getting this car for close to nothing, would it be even worth it? Or would I be better off just getting the car, and just upgrade it to an 8 over the next few years to turn it into a College graduate toy? Thanks alot guys!
Old 4/13/06, 03:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
WELCOME!!!!! ...Id just buy it and do whatever you want to it. Changing the motor would not be a bad idea givin the issues it seems to have....I always wanted to pick one up for next to nothing and saw the roof off to make a roadster. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Of cource you would need to strenghthen the frame a bit with some tube, but its one mod I have always wanted to do If I ever get one dirt cheap
Old 4/16/06, 04:37 PM
FR500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey man if u need to replace the engine to an 8 u do realize ur gona have to upgrade the brakes and suspension. Check all the structural work rear rails front rails torque boxes....if theyre rotted real bad then id say dont buy it unless u have a big pocket book of course
Old 4/16/06, 06:45 PM
Number Cruncher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's been sitting for a long time without being started, sometimes you have problems with rust in the cylinders. In the old days, you'd squirt a good penetrating oil in the plug hole of each cylinder to free up the piston rings. Might want to take the valve cover off and squirt some 30 weight oil over the valve train also. Then crank by hand (wrench on the crankshaft) to kinda spread the oil around. Once everything is freed up, you should be able to start and run the engine. Once it runs for awhile, you shouldn't have to do the sparkplug removal thing to start it again.

Best advice, if you have the time and inclination, is to tow it home, pull the engine out, and rebuild it.
The early sixes were nice engines. If rebuilt to specifications, you'll have a strong running, reliable engine that will get you where you need to go with a minimum of fuss.

Then you can start working on other things, like suspension, brakes, bodywork, interior..... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]