1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Help Finding my 1966 289 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/23, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Finding my 1966 289 Mustang

I received a 1966 mustang for my 16th Birthday from my garnd parents. They purchased the car new from WESTDIDE FORD in TAFT CA. I drove the car then sold it in approximtely 1983 for a more affordable car to head to college. I want the car back. What can I do to find the VIN and once found whre do I go from there. I sold the call to a local auto place in BAKERSFIELD, CA Please help.

Please e mail me with ideas

treifel@kminc.com

Last edited by treifel@kminc.com; 2/1/23 at 04:01 PM.
Old 2/3/23, 10:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
If Westside Ford still exists, they may (or may not) have sales records that old. If they don't exist, were they bought by someone else? Perhaps they have sales records.

Do you have any paperwork of any kind for the car?
Old 2/3/23, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
If Westside Ford still exists, they may (or may not) have sales records that old. If they don't exist, were they bought by someone else? Perhaps they have sales records.

Do you have any paperwork of any kind for the car?

Unfortunately I do not.
Old 2/3/23, 05:49 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
I wish you Luck on Your Search, BTW I'm from Visalia! Howdy Neighbor.

I would Would Guess the Car was on your Parents Insurance Early On. Are They Still Available with Some Packed away Docs Somewhere. When My Inlaws Passed a Few Years Ago. I Found Paperwork Back to the 60's! We Shredded Stuff Forever! Old Check Books Forever as well with Notes on Em!

Anybody in the Family or Friends from the Day Maybe Have a Snapshot of Your Car Showing License Plate?

Even if You Find Your Car it May Turn out to be a Heap. Might Consider Trying to Find Identical or Very Close Car Equipped as Yours Was! Just a Thought!

If Money is not a Factor You Could Likely Have a Clone Built to Your Specs. If I Wanted a Duplicate I would Start Watching Upcoming Mecum or Barret Jackson Auctions. As a Built Car Close to What you Want Would Likely get a Turnkey Time Machine.

A Good Description of the Car and How it Was Equipped in the Wanted Section Of Mustang Websites May Help Find a Duplicate or Maybe Original. Back in the Day
Pre Internet a Hemmings Ad was the Way to Go!

Get Your Story Out There.

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 2/3/23 at 05:56 PM.
Old 4/21/23, 01:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello triefel@kminc.co. I read this the other day and I decided to see if I could find Info on my first Mustang, a 1967 convertible. I have a call into the company I was insured with back in 1972, waiting now for a response, to see if they might have a copy of my records between 1972 and 1975. I got absolutely nowhere trying to navigate the state DMV website. I do have my address and type cars I had insured with them and the approximate dates so maybe that can help you too.
My new 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible.