1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Dynacorn New Steel body replacement

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/07, 07:32 AM
Service Manager

Received 447 Likes on 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
There are a lot of people out there that are buying these 3000 or even these 15-20k $ cars and building eleanors out of them to sell on ebay for 100k. if that hasn't hurt the hobby i dunno what has.
It hurt the hobby only in the sense that it has moved these cars up to those who have more disposable income. The Mustang has primarily been a "working man's car" so while there are still the occasional good buy out there, the general pool of restorable Mustangs has been impacted by this.
Old 4/18/07, 07:37 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by svopaul
It hurt the hobby only in the sense that it has moved these cars up to those who have more disposable income. The Mustang has primarily been a "working man's car" so while there are still the occasional good buy out there, the general pool of restorable Mustangs has been impacted by this.
Yep.
Old 4/18/07, 08:11 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts
the prices people are paying for some cars today just adds substance to the old saying " A fool and his money etc,, etc,, etc,, . a friend recently offered me a 75 pinto for 3000 $ ... i told him to get off my property .
Old 4/18/07, 08:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to me its not only that. but also the fact that not everyone on the planet (me very muchn included) really like the look of the elenors they make. i like a standard fastback. give it to me in white with nice wheels and the standard body parts.
Old 4/18/07, 09:09 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Cheese302
to me its not only that. but also the fact that not everyone on the planet (me very muchn included) really like the look of the elenors they make. i like a standard fastback. give it to me in white with nice wheels and the standard body parts.
I agree there, the only thing that made the 2nd Eleanor(meaning the recent movie-not the original) look good is the color combination and the wheels....other than that it's mostly crap in my opinion. While I like just about everything Foose has done, this is the one I do not. The hood is retarded, too many lights on the front, the C pillar mounted fuel door is ridiculous, side skirts are awful, etc, etc....Of Course this is my opinion. I like the classic Fastback and classic Shelby look myself.

I have some people come into my shop and see my '67 GT and say "Oooh, your making an Eleanor" and I just want to slap them.
Old 4/18/07, 09:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
I agree there, the only thing that made the 2nd Eleanor(meaning the recent movie-not the original) look good is the color combination and the wheels....other than that it's mostly crap in my opinion. While I like just about everything Foose has done, this is the one I do not. The hood is retarded, too many lights on the front, the C pillar mounted fuel door is ridiculous, side skirts are awful, etc, etc....Of Course this is my opinion. I like the classic Fastback and classic Shelby look myself.

I have some people come into my shop and see my '67 GT and say "Oooh, your making an Eleanor" and I just want to slap them.
agreed, i was never a huge fan of the 67-68 shelby's at all either. mainly the taillights. the eleanor was just too over the top. Luckily i actually beleive that foose had nothing to do with these cars, the foose challenger is amazing though. if i bought a 67 fastback i would just paint it white, have a nice engine in it, some torque thrusts, and a third pedal. good ot go
Old 4/18/07, 11:42 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Luckily i actually beleive that foose had nothing to do with these cars
what do you mean?, foose is the creator of the design for the gone in 60 sec shelby.
Old 4/18/07, 12:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
best case scenerio: People start making kit eleanor's out of these bodies and stop making them out of real 67-68 fastbacks.
Old 4/18/07, 12:55 PM
Needs to be more Astony

yeah that would be the best. I hate seeing all these butchered original fastbacks.
Old 4/18/07, 01:27 PM

me too brother...
Old 4/18/07, 01:57 PM
Cobra R Member

like when you see a fastback thats all tubbed out and drag raced. i jsut look and think.. "you know, a coupe would have worked just as well"
Old 4/18/07, 02:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I looked at these bodies at SEMA Last year and the price wasn't set but let me tell you it was not cheep by all means!!! Yes I think Paul is right and people are going to be buying rusted hulks with clean titles and bing bang boom a brand new Mustang.... From CHINA!!!!!

CHINASTANG
Old 4/18/07, 02:45 PM

like when you see a fastback thats all tubbed out and drag raced. i jsut look and think.. "you know, a coupe would have worked just as well"
*Devil's Advocate*...and whats that supposed to mean?
Old 4/18/07, 06:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So let me get this straight ...if i have a 71' convertible which has just gone through a fire ...(see thread "No Way")...

i have frame with vin#'s , i have dash (damaged by fire) with matching vin#., and matching marti report

It's illegal for me to buy another 71' vert ,strip it down to frame , swap out shock towers, and restore it as my orignal vert... replacing anything needed , just as i was doing anyway.

But not illegal for me to keep my frame including shock towers ,replace everything else metal , and everyting else needed to restore this car..???

What do you think about this?
Old 4/18/07, 07:35 PM

...yeah....I've always wondered what has to stay in order to "rebuild a car"..What cant be changed...cause some people who do restorations replace a lot of parts....pretty soon it shouldn't be able to be called the same car anymore!...I would think as long as you have all the legal information in hand, you should be able to replace everything....build your own car? It is quite the question.
Old 4/19/07, 12:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The VIN itself represents the chassis it is attached to. Since the Mustang is a unibody car meaning that the "chassis" can not be detached I do not believe that you can even legally replace any parts that are attached to what could be called the "frame".

I've been wanting to build a kit car for a long time, and because of that I have a small amount of knowledge on the subject.

The VIN can NOT be moved to ANY vehicle that it was not originally attached to. EVEN IF you use the donor's chassis, it CAN NOT have the same VIN if the chassis has been altered in ANY way. ie Extended shortened, etc.

My vote is to bring it into the DMV and pay the price to get it registered as a kit car. It's a chunk of change, but there is no reason whatsoever for someone to go around claiming that their kit car is a real one. Even if you don't, like said before someone will down the road. You shouldn't want them to have to pay the price for you wanting an "original".

Peter
Old 4/19/07, 05:17 AM
legacy Tms Member

when i`m finished with my car someone can turn it back into the ho-hum bland 302 two barrell single exhaust killer it once was
Old 4/19/07, 06:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
*Devil's Advocate*...and whats that supposed to mean?

its supposed to mean... 67-68 fastbacks are getting to be fairly rare. and it just seems to me that taking one and turning it into a real drag car, i mean fully back halfed, hug tubs with a majorly narrowed rear axle, basically just taking it off the street, its ruining a beauty of a car. where a coupe would work just as well for what your doing, and doesnt take another fastback away from the street.

Hoss: yours is def not as bad as i am talking about. I ws at MIR a few weeks ago and there was a 67 fastback that had some wrinkle wall gigantic funny car style slicks tucked into the wells, and it was just rediculous. however i have a boss 302 at home, and i think i'll stick with that small motor
Old 4/19/07, 07:39 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by 390 4spd
So let me get this straight ...if i have a 71' convertible which has just gone through a fire ...(see thread "No Way")...

i have frame with vin#'s , i have dash (damaged by fire) with matching vin#., and matching marti report

It's illegal for me to buy another 71' vert ,strip it down to frame , swap out shock towers, and restore it as my orignal vert... replacing anything needed , just as i was doing anyway.

But not illegal for me to keep my frame including shock towers ,replace everything else metal , and everyting else needed to restore this car..???

What do you think about this?
John, I just heard about this....sorry to hear that!

Keep in mind the reason for these laws are to prevent car thieves from doing the same thing but yes it is technically illegal to swap VIN's to another chassis...that state doesn't care what is special about that car and do not see the significance of certain options etc. A burned car can be saved, it's just a lot of work.
Old 4/19/07, 07:51 AM
legacy Tms Member

its supposed to mean... 67-68 fastbacks are getting to be fairly rare. and it just seems to me that taking one and turning it into a real drag car, i mean fully back halfed, hug tubs with a majorly narrowed rear axle, basically just taking it off the street, its ruining a beauty of a car.
you folks will love this " shelby " when its done

Quick Reply: Dynacorn New Steel body replacement