1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Dynacorn '68 and '69 bodies...

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/08, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Dynacorn '68 and '69 bodies...

guys,
was wondering if you could help me out here.
i was thinking about purchasing the dynacorn bodies for the 68 fastback and the new 69 fastback that will be released in the future. i have never done anything like a restoration before so i dont know what kind of work will go into these. is there anyone that can give me some insite on how much work and time and money things will cost? (yes i know that adding options will add cost more but just a general cost is what im looking for) has anyone used these bodies and how well do they fit compared to the original cars? any info it helpful. i have been really considering an older mustang but im not a very good mechanic in the sense. i am willing to try some things, but just not sure what kind of project this will be.
Old 12/25/08, 10:45 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ooh! Didn't know they were also doing the 69 body. Very cool.
Old 12/25/08, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I haven't done one, but when you look at the expensive rusted out hulls people are working with these brand new $16,000 Dynacorn bodies look like a really good deal!

Originally Posted by SINBUSTER007
guys,
was wondering if you could help me out here.
i was thinking about purchasing the dynacorn bodies for the 68 fastback and the new 69 fastback that will be released in the future. i have never done anything like a restoration before so i dont know what kind of work will go into these. is there anyone that can give me some insite on how much work and time and money things will cost? (yes i know that adding options will add cost more but just a general cost is what im looking for) has anyone used these bodies and how well do they fit compared to the original cars? any info it helpful. i have been really considering an older mustang but im not a very good mechanic in the sense. i am willing to try some things, but just not sure what kind of project this will be.
Old 12/28/08, 06:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buy mine!
It runs and drives and may only possibly require floorpans.
but it also has an engine and transmission and interior and the rest of the body parts and driveline that the stupid shells do not.

I don't have a problem with Dynacorn except for the part where people are overdoing Eleanor. Now we have about 90% of the original 67-68 fastbacks as Eleanors (exaggeration) and the tasteful fastbacks are all going to end up being Dynacorn bodies, not real mustangs
Old 12/28/08, 06:58 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AFBLUE
Ooh! Didn't know they were also doing the 69 body. Very cool.
Just came out with them.

IMO I would just buy a 68 or 69 shell for under 10K and build that up instead of spending 16K on a dynacorn shell.
Old 12/28/08, 08:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I think it is great that I can build a comletely new vintage Mustang with nothing but brand new parts - no bondo needed anywhere. That is really cool. Can't find a 67 fastback out there worth touching that you don't need to sell our soul for? Build one yourself! Great concept.

What I do wonder is how are these cars classified as if it is built without a Vin from another Mustang? I remember seeing a beautiful light blue Dynacorn Mustang in a Mustang publication and wondered if it would have to be classed as a kit car?

Cheers
Old 12/28/08, 11:51 PM

I think they licensed these bodies as restoration parts. The best way to do it would be find an old rusted out POS with a good title and use the vin from it.
Old 12/29/08, 06:53 AM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
Drop me a PM if you like....I'd be happy to help you out. I own a restoration & performance shop and have used a lot of Dynacorn parts....we are also an official Dynacorn Classic Bodies Dealer so I can help you out with information and even assist you with the purchase if you decide you want to go this route.
Old 12/29/08, 07:27 AM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by svopaul
Drop me a PM if you like....I'd be happy to help you out. I own a restoration & performance shop and have used a lot of Dynacorn parts....we are also an official Dynacorn Classic Bodies Dealer so I can help you out with information and even assist you with the purchase if you decide you want to go this route.
after the T/A is done & out the door, a 69-70 fastback will be my next project. I'll keep in mind that you deal with these parts.
Old 12/29/08, 09:05 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Autotooner
after the T/A is done & out the door, a 69-70 fastback will be my next project. I'll keep in mind that you deal with these parts.
Dynacorn makes some parts for your T/A too so if you need anything just let me know. The 67 Convertible featured here we are building has been done using all Dynacorn parts. Any questions just ask!
Old 12/29/08, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

i guess in my thought, i wont ever be able to own a real 68 or 69 fastback just because of the $$$ involved in doing one of them. i think that it would be less expensive to do the dynacorn bodies in my budget. im not looking to build a rare one of a kind either. i just want to own one. this is what i see in the market. if im wrong, then someone tell me.
svopaul - what have you seen as far as cost between a restored original compared to a dynacorn body? is there any comarison?
Old 12/29/08, 07:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
It is very tempting - a brand new 67 is a dream come true. I, however, have always been partial to the Cobra II .
Old 12/30/08, 06:27 AM
Service Manager

svopaul - what have you seen as far as cost between a restored original compared to a dynacorn body? is there any comarison?

That depends largely on what you could buy a car for and what kind of sheetmetal work it needs. If you buy a basket case then you could easily spend more than a Dynacorn body just getting the basket case to the same point by the time you buy all the necessary parts and the labor to install them and get the car to the same point.....not to mention the time involved that you have to wait to get it to that point.

Now if you find a car for say $6K that needs some floor pan work and lower quarter patches then you may be better off going that route.

Something else to consider is the parts on a car that are good....buying a Dynacorn body gives you just the body....you still have to buy interior and everything else....however most cars by this age need EVERYTHING replaced anyway so depending on the route you want to take (ie: stock or modified) that could play into your equation as well. If you want stock then stock seat frames are worth something but if modified then you won't need those anyway. Rear fastback interior trim panels and fold down seat are available now as well but if you want perfect chrome you will need to buy a lot of that anyway but it does add up.

The first step is to decide what exactly you want in the end.....then evaluate what you would have that is useable in the purchase of an original needing restoration and then you can determine if the Dynacorn body is the way to go to save you both time and money in getting the chassis repaired and ready.
Old 12/30/08, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

basically i just want to own a 68 and 69 fastback. im not one to be mechanically inclined to put it nicely, and it seems that the only thing i can do is keep the cars clean. working on them would be disaster! i figured that i could buy the dynacorn bodies and do some stuff that i think i can do and then have some one else do the rest. the only worth in them will be to me. i wont be looking to get major $$$ from them. just something that i would enjoy. sorry if it sounds selfish. hopefully one day i could pass them down to someone, just not yet. but with the new legislation proposed, i might not be able to build the cars at all. and the new ones are great, but its all electronic. if the board goes, sucks to be you!! your car will not drive. at least with the older ones you can still drive them if something might not be working right...
yes, its a hard decision. your info will help me in what i will do.
Old 12/31/08, 06:16 AM
Service Manager

basically i just want to own a 68 and 69 fastback. im not one to be mechanically inclined to put it nicely, and it seems that the only thing i can do is keep the cars clean. working on them would be disaster! i figured that i could buy the dynacorn bodies and do some stuff that i think i can do and then have some one else do the rest. the only worth in them will be to me. i wont be looking to get major $$$ from them. just something that i would enjoy. sorry if it sounds selfish. hopefully one day i could pass them down to someone, just not yet. but with the new legislation proposed, i might not be able to build the cars at all. and the new ones are great, but its all electronic. if the board goes, sucks to be you!! your car will not drive. at least with the older ones you can still drive them if something might not be working right...
yes, its a hard decision. your info will help me in what i will do.
Well if you want to tinker with what you can do and farm out the rest then you could go with the Dynacorn....the budget will not be a cheap one regardless of which way you go but there is something to be said for starting with a rust free shell and since the Dynacorn cars are electronically coated (E coat which is a metal protecting primer).....everything is coated to prevent future rusting so even the inside of the rails are coated unlike the original.

You have the right idea in regards to your use...you want to enjoy it and want the looks but don't let technology scare you....if I had my way I would fuel inject everything I have...and will eventually because I dislike carb's and how finicky they can be sometimes.

But many projects get stalled due to expense or issues like rust so with eliminating the rust issue by going Dynacorn you just have to be sure you are prepared for the expense of buying EVERYTHING for the car....and that means from interior trim panels to a complete hardware kit. There are more than a hundred different paths you can take with the car in regards to suspension, interior...etc....you can make it yours with no problem.

Also look into your state laws....every state is different in regards of how you title a Dynacorn Chassis....here is a link to a page linking each state: http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/stateseal.html
Old 1/2/09, 01:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords February 2009

The February 2009 issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords has a nice write up on a '67 Dynacorn with a 605 Horsepower GT500 engine in it. It is actually the cover story.

All brand new. Kicks the butt out of starting with a 40+ your old worn out rust bucket body with 40+ year old wiring and interior...

Two thumbs up for the Dynacorn bodies!!
Old 1/2/09, 03:19 PM

If your wondering about time and money going into a restoration like this, its not for the faint of heart. You do have a big advantage of having a clean body to work with but all the other things you will need to get can get pretty hefty to the pocket. Something I found out the hard way you want everything just right so you get this then this needs to be replaced to go with what you did already. A good way to get a ballpark idea of how things might shake out is to get some catalogs from the vintage mustang vendors and start creating your list of things needed. Break things up into groups like body panels, interior, wiring harnesses, trim items. Make yourself a list look at what going either with a repro or a nos part costs you, understand what you want the car to do when you've finished it going to be a restomod or a clone of some type or is it just a real nice daily driver. The more things you can nail down before hand about what you are after will help you stay focused and save yourself money in the long run. Also you might try hooking up with a local chapter of the MCA around your area they probably can give real good advice and point you toward folks who do quality work on mustang restorations.

And if it was my car I'd want to do some of the work its a personal dream your building seeing something you've dreamed of become reality doesn't happen often enjoy the moment get yourself a shop manual and do whatever you feel comfortable with there things that aren't really hard to do.

Hope this was helpfully good luck with the project

Last edited by terlingua; 1/2/09 at 03:21 PM.
Old 1/2/09, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jim010
I think it is great that I can build a comletely new vintage Mustang with nothing but brand new parts - no bondo needed anywhere. That is really cool. Can't find a 67 fastback out there worth touching that you don't need to sell our soul for? Build one yourself! Great concept.

What I do wonder is how are these cars classified as if it is built without a Vin from another Mustang? I remember seeing a beautiful light blue Dynacorn Mustang in a Mustang publication and wondered if it would have to be classed as a kit car?

Cheers
Depends on the State your in. Some States you can register it as a kit car, others a replica car. Swapping VIN's is illegal.
Old 1/2/09, 10:15 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
Depends on the State your in. Some States you can register it as a kit car, others a replica car. Swapping VIN's is illegal.
Again, it depends on which State you are in.

The thought of building a "brand new and improved" '69 Boss 302 is sorely tempting. And then I estimate the cost... either way a full resto/restomod or building from a new shell won't be cheap. The DCI body's biggest advantage would be saving on the materials/time/labor costs of restoring a (rusty) original body which can really add up. LOL, guess I'd better stick to something more "realistic" like a FF Cobra replica.
Old 1/3/09, 08:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

thanks all for your replys. TERLINGUA - you have a good point with creating a list. i think that would be do-able with me. i guess the easiest start would be with companies like cj pony and virginia mustang just to name a few. now i know this is just a rough estimate but at least with them i can gather some prices for what i would need and build the car on paper. would a haynes repair manual or the ford manual be helpful also in gathering info on what i would need to build the list? and if i choose not to do any of this then i would have nice reading material for either the 68 or 69 bodies. and it will give me plenty of time since i wouldnt be able to purchase anything till maybe the end of 2009. mid 2010.

Quick Reply: Dynacorn '68 and '69 bodies...