1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Cougar = Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/06, 07:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cougar = Mustang?

Although I am a Mustang enthusiast, I may have a chance at the perverbial "little old lady's car that has been in the garage for 20 years".

It's a '68 Cougar that I haven't seen in years, but should still be in decent shape (for an almost 40 year old car).

Anyway, I know the Cougar is based on the Mustang. I was wondering how compatible they really are as far as parts are concerned, mainly suspension, brakes, drivetrain etc.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old 5/18/06, 08:56 PM
V6 Member

they are identical for the mechanicals you listed!
good luck!
Old 5/19/06, 05:45 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by H60Dog
Although I am a Mustang enthusiast, I may have a chance at the perverbial "little old lady's car that has been in the garage for 20 years".

It's a '68 Cougar that I haven't seen in years, but should still be in decent shape (for an almost 40 year old car).

Anyway, I know the Cougar is based on the Mustang. I was wondering how compatible they really are as far as parts are concerned, mainly suspension, brakes, drivetrain etc.

Thanks in advance for any info!
The Cougar was better optioned with luxury items,great find! If you don't want it,call me I am in Pa. and will come get it.
Attached Thumbnails Cougar = Mustang?-teter03-r1-005-1.jpg  
Old 5/20/06, 08:18 AM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
Same but there are a few hard to find parts that are cougar specific. I have a '68 XR7 X code waiting to be restored.

If you decide you don't want it...let me know, my father lives right down the road in Easton and I'd be happy to make a trip, visit and bring another toy home...
Old 5/25/06, 08:02 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the info, but it didn't work out. She's a nice lady who just isn't ready to part with her Cougar yet, so it will sit in the garage a few more years. But when she's ready, I'm the first one she'll call.

Easton...we're practically neighbors!

I've spent some time in AL, mainly LA. I remember a great BBQ place near B'ham called Jimmie Ray's(?)...I think it was in Bessemer. Can't get that or sweet tea up here.
Old 5/30/06, 07:26 AM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by H60Dog
Thanks for the info, but it didn't work out. She's a nice lady who just isn't ready to part with her Cougar yet, so it will sit in the garage a few more years. But when she's ready, I'm the first one she'll call.

Easton...we're practically neighbors!

I've spent some time in AL, mainly LA. I remember a great BBQ place near B'ham called Jimmie Ray's(?)...I think it was in Bessemer. Can't get that or sweet tea up here.
I lived in Davidsonville since '78 and then Pasadena for a few years before moving south over 4 years ago...still have a lot of friends up that way but you couldn't pay me to move back. Sweet tea is the thing I miss the most when I am up there but WaWa has their tea which isn't bad.

If I hadn't moved here I would be over on the Eastern Shore myself....it's the only place left to move that isn't overcrowded it seems...but that's changing fast too.