1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Which Classic owners are buying the 05

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/04, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm interrested to know who's planning on buying a new stang? I've got a 66 that I'm restoring. I'm dumping a lot of cash into the car and I'm having a blast with it. I think the new body style is KILLER, and I really REALLY wanted one up until about a week ago. :scratch:

I'm starting to realize that I have the coolest and most unique type of mustang around... the one that started the legend. Should I really buy a new one? It seems kind of redundant. I'm getting ready to get married soon, and so I'm thinking about space and all.

What's more... I own a small toyota truck right now that's my parts runner. How would I haul all of my parts around? Where I live, I'm not far from a guy that has a Ford goody yard. I go up there and find all kinds of cool stuff. I don't want to buy a mustang and then be stuck.

I LOVE the new stang, but I really think that the new F150 is more my speed. I think It would be wiser to buy a 4 door and keep focusing on my old stang then to buy a new one. Plus, the new F150's are just AWESOME trucks. I don't know... I change my mind from minute to minute, but I was really interrested in seeing what everyone else is thinking.

This goes out to those who own the classics. Shout out!
Old 4/1/04, 08:13 PM
V6 Member

I currently own a classic 66'gt vert. Its a ground up restoration. And I keep it garaged with historic plates. I only use it in the summer to show and take out for a nice sunday drive every now and then. I bought this car in 1982. In the eighties I used to drive this car a lot more, then you used to see a lot of vintage stangs still used that way.

But with time things change. Today I would'nt feel right using this classic as a every day car. And to be truthfull I can't wait for my 05, so I can have some modern day stang fun. Along with todays creature comforts. I guess I got too used to heated seats! LOL

It sounds like your having fun restoring your car! I would keep it if your going to use it like a classic. But buy a new stang if your going to use it for everyday use.

hope I have been of some help!
Old 4/2/04, 07:56 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't know yet how I'll afford it, but I need an 06 sitting next to my 66.
Old 4/2/04, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BLAKE@Apr. 2nd, 2004, 10:59 AM
Blake, I'm with you, but that doesn't really help StangerX - sounds like he has to choose between the two...

I sold my 64-1/2 coupe (as well as a CJ7) right before I got married so I could get a more "reliable" mode of transportation. I still regret it. My advice? Keep the classic if you have a daily driver and the room. There will be plenty of time to get a new Mustang down the road. If you find yourself in a corner and can't afford to keep the classic AND a daily, then get an 05 and drive the heck out of it.

Either way, good luck with the wife. Hope she likes stangs too!
Old 4/2/04, 02:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Skorch52+Apr. 2nd, 2004, 12:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Skorch52 @ Apr. 2nd, 2004, 12:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BLAKE@Apr. 2nd, 2004, 10:59 AM
Blake, I'm with you, but that doesn't really help StangerX - sounds like he has to choose between the two...
[/b][/quote]
If that's the case, then its a no-brainer. My 96 is just a car to me, and I'm sure the newer Mustangs will be the same way. I'm never getting rid of my fastback. Period.
Old 4/2/04, 03:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a '67 fastback currently and i love the the style of the '05 , but i will always have some kind of classic mustang!!! B)
Old 4/5/04, 01:31 PM
Bullitt Member

There will be an '06 in my garage. Bad part is I am going to sell the '69 to do it...
Old 4/6/04, 05:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Been away for a while guys... sorry. ANywho... Yeah... My 66 is staying no matter what. I'm DEFINATELY not selling it. It's become too much a part of me. I've poured thousands into the car and I'm getting ready to rework the paint and body myself. I've rebuilt the motor from scratch. I've converted it from a strait 6 car. I've rebuilt the tranny, I've fixed up the exhaust, and I've rebuilt the suspension. I have just aquired a 9" 310 gear rear end and I'm about to put that on. I'm in the middle of converting the front to V8 5 lug spindals before starting my sanding and painting.

EDIT: ALL OF THAT BEING MY OWN WORK EXCEPT THE TRANNY REBUILD.

That car stays. PERIOD! LOL!

Now, that being said, I'm looking at a daily driver car. I have that little toyota pickup, and my thinking is (while I'm absolutely in LOVE with the new stang) that I should probably get a truck to haul parts and such. I could also get (or make) a nice trailer to haul my car to shows and stuff. I'm still a YOUNG guy (24 in a few days). I'm getting married soon, and My Fiance and I want to start a family in the next few years.

I'm thinking a truck would do me perfectly for all of that stuff. I could get a 4 door F150 to haul the kids, parts, and a trailer. That mustang is Mighty tempting though. I'd just hate to make a mistake and buy a car that spoils my hobby or cramps my needs for hauling stuff. I think it would be hard to switch from a pickup as a daily driver to a mustang. I'd have no truck at all.

Thoughts?
Old 4/6/04, 05:40 PM

As hard as it will be, I would resist the urge right now.

I HAD to buy a new, reliable, under-warranty car....so I could take my '69 Mach off the busy roads here in Northern California.
I bought the '01 Bullitt, just because it fit my needs perfectly.

I've already raised (most) of my family, and we had a family car already. Just needed one for me! And it HAD to be a Mustang, so voila!

My only regret is having a car that I don't have to worry about...a "beater" car that I can haul stuff with.

I want the '05 too. But, I also wanted a new Mach 1, to put next to my classic, but space, money and common sense prevailed!!!

I will NOT give up either of my Mustangs, so I'll have to win the lottery before I can buy and build a pony stable!!!
Old 4/6/04, 08:24 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
I am in. I sold my two '68s when I heard the rumblings of the new platform. I'll just wait for the higher performance SEs or Cobra.
Old 4/8/04, 06:31 AM
Bullitt Member

you guys don't feel bad about selling your classics? I always thought the cooles thing about the old ones was the head turning attention grabbing apeal meshed with the amviance of the car that came from one of the coolest times in american automotive history.

The new ones (even the current model), while being increadibly quick and nimble, are still just regular cars on the road. The new 05 is an outstanding piece of work, mind you, but everyone is going to have one, which kills the speciality of it, no?

My mustang club locally here is now divided. The new car stangs have turned against the old cars. My friend and I are the only 2 young guys mixed in with the old cars. The new car guys are all mad because they can't win shows with their brand new GT mustangs. It just made me realize how special my car really is.

I am attracted to the comfort and driveability of the new 05, and I may still decide to buy one, but boy oh boy, I couldn't imagine selling my 66 to get it. That just seems... wrong somehow.

Still, to each his own, and I can't wait to see pictures of all of you guy's stangs when they come out.
Old 4/8/04, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by StangerX@Apr. 8th, 2004, 6:34 AM
you guys don't feel bad about selling your classics? I always thought the cooles thing about the old ones was the head turning attention grabbing apeal meshed with the amviance of the car that came from one of the coolest times in american automotive history.

The new ones (even the current model), while being increadibly quick and nimble, are still just regular cars on the road. The new 05 is an outstanding piece of work, mind you, but everyone is going to have one, which kills the speciality of it, no?

My mustang club locally here is now divided. The new car stangs have turned against the old cars. My friend and I are the only 2 young guys mixed in with the old cars. The new car guys are all mad because they can't win shows with their brand new GT mustangs. It just made me realize how special my car really is.

I am attracted to the comfort and driveability of the new 05, and I may still decide to buy one, but boy oh boy, I couldn't imagine selling my 66 to get it. That just seems... wrong somehow.

Still, to each his own, and I can't wait to see pictures of all of you guy's stangs when they come out.
I am so torn it is hard as heck to make this choice. I have rebuilt my 69 over the last 6 or 7 years now, 426 stroker etc...

But the New Stang is the car I have always wanted Ford to build. It has all of the looks and finally the performance to be a suitable replacement for the 69. If I could afford both, believe me I would keep the 69. They would look great next to each other in my garage

But I also have a wife and two little ones, so the 69 is not very practical, I maybe drive it a couple hundred miles a year right now. To the grocery store and back is about it. If I had a 05, or an (06 Cobra, thats what I am waiting for), I could cruise with 400+hp and have the AC on, playing my daughters Barney CD on the 1000 Watt Audio system!!!! Now how cool is that?
Old 4/8/04, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stanger i wish that i had a 64-1/2-70 fastback, could you rent a p-up when u need 2 haul something, that wat u can have 2 stangs
or lease a stang, an buy a used f150 for the same payment.
ive always over the old cars an cant never get my hands on one. if i could finance a 70 mach1 id be in hog heven.
the 05 is the closeist i can come 2 my dreams. :worship: old stangs
Old 4/8/04, 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, my heart will always be with the 69, deffinately my favorite year Mustang. But I am pretty sure that the new Cobra will be worth it.
Old 4/10/04, 05:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Great comments guys. Love em.

One of the things that has me torn so much is the visual apeal of the old ones. I agree with you though, JC69. I have been waiting to see Ford build this new stang. It's going to revolutionize the industry all over again.

Only thing is, while it looks a whole lot like the old ones, I still think that folks will kind of pass it off. Initially, public response will be overwhelming. I know the first time I see one of the 05's I'm going to give myself whiplash as I snap my kneck to look. That will wear off quickly though, leaving foks with a car that you can count off a dozen of on your way to work. People will get used to the look of them, and they'll loose their speciality.

I think the special editions will keep buyers coming back, but people will still be used to that general look. The old stangs, however, because you never see them, will continue to provide ample whiplash.

I just got my car driving again for the first time in 3 weeks. I had to do some SERIOUS front end work to it. I recently rebuilt the front suspension. WHen I was putting it back together, I stuck with the inline 6 spindals. that leaves me with 4 lug rims. Well, something happened, and I got my hands on some 5 lug spindals. I put those on to fix a big problem I had, and I finally got her out for a spin.

As I drove around, I had my windows down. It was night time, and there was a slight chill in the air. I live in Charleston, SC - Tourist capital of south carolina. Driving through downtown, I saw heads turning left and right. people just couldn't stop looking at my car.

Thing is... my paint is AWEFUL right now, but folks still were breaking their necks to look. Girls were drooling. Guys were peeing themselves at the sound (302 bored over 60, Super HiPo'ed with Flowmasters).

I realized in that very moment (just a few minutes prior to blasting by the ricer hang out) that this car satisfies my automotive dreams. It's Fast, loud, powerful, easy on the eyes, and it has so many subtle nuances to it that I love. I couldn't ditch it, and a brand new one won't replace that.

Today I took the car over to a buddy's house. A friend of mine and I tore the car appart and started prepping it for paint work. I'm going to do all of the paint and body work myself, and hopefully will have it done in less than a month (2-3 weeks if I can push hard enough). When that car gets painted, it will be a heart stopper. How could I ever hope to replace it or match it?

The new one would be cool for drivability, but I know I would miss the "coolness factor" of my 66. Inevitably, I would be torn between the 2. What's more, I love the waves, honks, thumbs up, and apeal the old one has. Not to mention the fact that I do all of the work myself to that car, so I need something to keep my hobby going.

I don't know... I would LOVE to have one of the new stangs, but I think, the more I look at it, that it's more of a wish than a logical need. I guess as I draw in on the time to purchase my next car, I will start crunching the numbers a little more. I'll test drive several vehicles, including the new stang, and I'll see what best fits my needs. Being that I'm a young guy, I still have a big future to think about. I need a car that will grow with me as I grow up.
Old 4/15/04, 12:07 AM
GT Member

Hey SangerX I am going through a similar dilema... In August our lease runs out on our current vehicle which will leave me with only my 66. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the car to death, however, it's hard to have it as a daily run around town car since I have put SO much work into it, if it ever got a door ding, I think I would throw up! or the anxiety I get day after day knowing it's just sitting out in a parking lot all day while I am at work. My delema is I want a new Mustang the 66 may have to go, so I am not sure if I want to buy a ok used car and keep the 66 still or get a new one and sell my 66. I am leaning on keeping it since I think I KNOW I would regret seeing someone else driving it around town.
I just want you to know I share your pain, it's a REALLY REALLY tough decision.
Old 4/15/04, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

StangerX,

Very well said, maybe thats my problem, I have not driven the car in quite a few months, I park it for winter. Once I get behind the wheel again, I may change my mind...

You are right about the new stangs will be "regular" cars after a year or two, but my 69 will always be an eye catcher. I have plans for some new heads for it this spring anyway, maybe more speed will get my juices flowing again. B)
Old 4/15/04, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Next generation R-model or Ford GT.
Old 4/21/04, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree JC. You just need to drive that bad boy. I know if I had a 69 instead of a 66 I'd be driving that thing as much as possible! I bet it's a beast! They're so aggressive, and you just don't see them much.

StangerT, Think long and hard if you do decide to sell it. It's definitely NOT a daily driver car, that's for sure. Even the immaculately restored cars probably can't make it day to day! Still, I'd really give some serious thought to buying a used car. Something dependable to get you around town during the week. All we ever crave anyways is the weekends to get our cars out for a drive.

My climate is more condusive to driving the car every day, but I still wouldn't want to. They're old cars now and are much more sensitive. I have just had a HUGE realestate opportunity drop in my lap. Here, most folks don't have to drive more than 20-30 minutes tops to get to their destination. This place doubles the time of my current travel. That's not bad in most cities, but I am really ticked because I would hate to move out there, get myself a nice V8, and end up paying out the butt for gas. :bang: I'd be a fool not to take a beautiful home on 2.4 acres of land for 130,000 though!

There go my hopes of the new mustang. Flushed down the drain. Guess I'll just have to see how efficient that car really is. The fact that it runs great on regular helps, right? HM!

Good luck all of you with what you decide. I just started pulling dents and sanding mine. When she gets finished up (3 coats of base, 3 clear - original tahoe turqoise with tapered white lemans stripes) I don't think I could part with the car unless someone was really serious about having it. She's going to be gorgeous. Can't let that go!
Old 4/24/04, 11:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts
I love the new '05+. I plan to delete the insurance and store my '94 Cobra and add a '07 Cobra/Shelby/or whatever they call it.

Quick Reply: Which Classic owners are buying the 05