1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Best source for exhaust pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/04, 12:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I'm at the whole 5.0/T-5 swap, I'm going to update my pitiful exhaust. (currently true dual, 2", rusty) I think I've narrowed down the particulars with Flowtech long tubes and Magnaflow mufflers. What I need is a good source for affordable H-pipe, mid pipes, and over-the-axle pipes. I figure I'll be fine with 2.5". Mandrel bends would be nice, but likely out of my price range. Aluminized tubing would be prefferable, because this'll be the setup for a loooong time to come, and I don't want my exhaust looking like the rust factory that is on there now.

I'd prefer to buy this stuff pre-bent, as I've had issues before with a muffler shop-built system not fitting that well. (Though I don't think that cloud of pot smoke in that shop was helping their measuring/welding abilities much) I've gone through my handy dandy NPD catalog, but I don't think any of their numerous options is what I need.

Any ideas on where to get this stuff? Prices would be even better.

Thanks y'all.
Old 11/29/04, 12:43 PM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Interested in a side exhaust setup? It's a ton easier too without the over the axle pipes to worry about. Cloney can tell you where to get a nice side exit setup for the best value.

MAC makes full kits as well as Flowmaster. I ditched my tailpipes this year though since the don't fit well with the Fuel Safe cell etc...
Old 11/29/04, 12:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Jay@November 29, 2004, 2:46 PM
Interested in a side exhaust setup? It's a ton easier too without the over the axle pipes to worry about. Cloney can tell you where to get a nice side exit setup for the best value.

MAC makes full kits as well as Flowmaster. I ditched my tailpipes this year though since the don't fit well with the Fuel Safe cell etc...
Eh, I'd consider the side exit if I hadn't just gone with the GT-thru-the-valance setup with the paint job this summer.

I'll have to look into the MAC. The only Flowmaster kit I could find came with Flowmaster mufflers, which I don't want, and polished stainless tips, which I would be cutting off, so it didn't sound like a good fit.
Old 11/29/04, 01:04 PM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Shoot almost forgot that JBA is another source now for the pipes etc...
Old 11/30/04, 01:59 PM
GT Member

Magnaflow is releasing a full stainless system with X pipe in Jan.....going to be in the low to mid 500s from what I understand
Old 11/30/04, 02:57 PM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by gnn60gt500@November 30, 2004, 5:02 PM
Magnaflow is releasing a full stainless system with X pipe in Jan.....going to be in the low to mid 500s from what I understand
Hopefully they will play it smart and make it to fit a convertible. Because if it fits a 'vert than it will fit all body styles... B)
Old 11/30/04, 04:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Sheesh, I can't wait 'til I'm made of money, lol. I may just try to find a local shop that isn't stoned, because this $400-500+ stuff makes my wallet hurt.
Old 12/1/04, 06:30 AM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Know how to weld?
Old 12/1/04, 08:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Jay@December 1, 2004, 8:33 AM
Know how to weld?
Heheh, yeah. Not very well, but I know how. It's worth it to have a professional do the job, especially a professional that has a lift and is used to welding over their heads. I just figured there'd be some pre-bent stuff that didn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks. Maybe not though.
Old 12/1/04, 01:01 PM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Well you can actually make it pretty simple. You can buy the prepent mandrel tailpipes from Flowmaster, about $90 through Summit. Then you can pick up the H-Pipe for the T-5 setup from JBA around $240. Then connecting the H-Pipe to the mufflers is nearly a straight shot, you just pick up a pair of 2" S-Bends off eBay.
Old 12/1/04, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

i've always found the best fit for any given car is usually done by a local exhaust shop. the trick is to find a really good one. fortunately for me the one i deal with here does all the high end hot rod type work for a vast majority of this whole area. A&B muffler shop. if you could get a couple days off to drive to lubbock they could make one heck of a nice system for your car. they did mine in 2 1/2" aluminized pipe from the headers out and kept the intermediate pipes in the tunnel and the tailpipes have really nice 180* bends all the way up to top of the trunk floor, there is no more than 2-3" of clearance between the tailpipes and the trunk floor over the rear axle. it is a very sweet setup. they asked me what i had planned for the car suspension wise and i told them i was going to lower it about 2 inches in the rear from where it was when i took it to them and i also told them i was planning on using an AOD in the near future as well and they gave me enough room for everything. with all that work and the 2 1/2" turbo muffs the whole system ran me around 275.00. not too bad if you ask me.
Old 12/1/04, 06:45 PM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by bnickel@December 1, 2004, 4:35 PM
i've always found the best fit for any given car is usually done by a local exhaust shop. the trick is to find a really good one. fortunately for me the one i deal with here does all the high end hot rod type work for a vast majority of this whole area. A&B muffler shop. if you could get a couple days off to drive to lubbock they could make one heck of a nice system for your car. they did mine in 2 1/2" aluminized pipe from the headers out and kept the intermediate pipes in the tunnel and the tailpipes have really nice 180* bends all the way up to top of the trunk floor, there is no more than 2-3" of clearance between the tailpipes and the trunk floor over the rear axle. it is a very sweet setup. they asked me what i had planned for the car suspension wise and i told them i was going to lower it about 2 inches in the rear from where it was when i took it to them and i also told them i was planning on using an AOD in the near future as well and they gave me enough room for everything. with all that work and the 2 1/2" turbo muffs the whole system ran me around 275.00. not too bad if you ask me.
You got a total steal... especially if they went in the tunnel with room for AOD and 2" lowering...
Old 12/1/04, 07:50 PM
Bullitt Member

yeah and they do excellent work, there are very few places in the system where pipes neck down from bending and the on the few there are the neck down is very gradual. i have seen the work they do with the mandrel bender and it looks like art it is so nice. i wish i could have afforded the mandrel bent pipes but it was like 100 bucks more and i was on a very tight budget
Old 12/1/04, 09:39 PM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Oh so they did not do a mandrel setup for you? Compression bends? That changes things...