1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Another question for you classic owners.

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/05, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all. Went for a ride tonight was a beautiful fall night here in Wi. The car ran perfect, although I do have a question for you all who have probably had this happen to you at one time or another. I started up the car and let it warm up for about 5 min. After I backed out of the driveway, I hit the gas and the car didn't take off right away. It seemed like it was going to die on me after I let up on the gas, then I hit the gas again and it took off. Any ideas as to what might cause this. After that initial pause didn't happen again. Carb maybe need some timing adjustments??
Old 10/15/05, 11:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
ehhh.....my car does that every once in a while, but not if I let it warm up for that long, usually it will be a little sluggish if I just start it up and go...I dont know....Maybe your car is just really cold natured. but the way you describe it, sounds kinda natural.
Old 10/16/05, 05:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Any number of carb issues can cause hesitation. Get the manual for your carb and verify each of the adjustments and settings are correct. BTW a five minute idles is pretty long. All it needs is 30 seconds. If you do not drive often, put Stabil in the gas tank.
Old 10/16/05, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I drive it often enough where I don't need stabil until I put it up for winter. It sits then for about 5 months. I can let it idle a bit less, I was told you should let an older car warm a bit. It's my first time driving/and owning an old car so lots is new to me. I will have to try and track down a manuel for my carb as I don't have one now. Maybe some of you have an opinion on this though. I met a guy driving the other day who owns a 65 vert..(looked in my rearview and there he was kinda cool driving with another classic for a few miles.) He told me he has for sale an Edelbrock 600cfm 4bbl, and performer 5500 intake man. for sale. He says they were both working fine when he took them off. Would any of you buy a used carb or after being used and sitting without gas would that harm it in any way?? Just wondering cuz iv'e been wanting to upgrade my carb for awhile anyways.
Old 10/16/05, 03:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Shouldn't be a problem, just clean it out if you're worried that its sat for a while. Mine sat for about a year before i bought it, and it sits for about a month or so now before i start it up.
Old 10/17/05, 05:36 PM

Engine NOT running, take off the air cleaner, grab the throttle linkage and do a quick wide open throttle while observing down the carb throat. Should see two streams of gas come squirting out. This is the accelerator pump. Streams should be in front two bores and pretty solid. If non existant or dribbles, may need a new accelerator pump diaphram or adjustment. If the accelerator pump checks out OK then check if you are running manifold vacuum to the distributor, if so try switching to ported vacuum and see if it solves the problem. If you're already running ported vacuum to the distributor, I'd try looking for any vacum leaks and maybe checking the bolts on the carb base are tight. Also grab the top of the carb body and giva a twist to see if its loose from its base. These are just a few quick checks you could do that I came up with.
Old 10/19/05, 11:00 AM
Fat

I didn't read every post, so your question was probably answered already hehe. But, regardless, sounds like an issue w/ the carb. How often do you drive it, and if not often, do you at least fire the engine up frequently?
Old 10/19/05, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I drive it about 2 x's per week. It very well might be an issue with my carb. I will check it out in the next couple of days. Kinda weird that it only happens when I first take off after I back out of my driveway. Then it drives perfect the rest of the drive???
Old 10/19/05, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe as simple as your choke sticking. Lube it up and make sure it doesn't bind.
Old 10/19/05, 04:07 PM
Fat

Originally posted by jc69Stang@October 19, 2005, 9:46 AM
Maybe as simple as your choke sticking. Lube it up and make sure it doesn't bind.

I was just about to say that. Since the older stangs dont have full injection you sometimes have to pump the fuel in yourself. Pump your gas pedal up a bit before turning it on next time and see if it helps, simple things can save heartache lol :P. Wish i could be of more assistance, but im just now learning about my stang. It's my first car really, and im still fighting for the title.