1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Air Cleaner Choice

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/04, 11:35 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take another look at the photo of my engine, I have an air filter problem I need help with.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~dodgeram/hclone1.jpg

Notice the height of the MDS Ready to Run dizzy in relation to the carb. Almost the same height, so much for the Cobra air filter I have ready to install. I am looking for suggestions for an air filter. While I have a hood scoop, it was not cut out, I used the Air Gap manifold, same height as the RPM and the Speed Demon carb. I did use the 65 style mounts in order to gain as much clearance as possible.

No doubt I will have to use a drop base in order the squeeze something in there, just looking for suggestions please, TIA Jeff
Old 8/31/04, 11:54 AM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

You cannot get a small carb spacer in there? Then the shorter of the Cobra type elements?
Old 8/31/04, 12:05 PM
GT Member

I don't want to close the hood yet and make any measurements. Still no upper shock mounts installed. I have the Cobra filter from Branda, and the standard paper element in it, the lowest one available. Depending on how the rest of this week plays out I may bolt the mounts in place and use some clay to make some measurements. I would need a riser off the carb in order to use the Cobra filter, no doubt about that at all.
Old 8/31/04, 12:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

That dizzy MUST be TALL! :scratch:

The base of my Cobra Oval A/C has a ring built into it that works like a 1/2" spacer. Does yours? Note that the base is about even with the montecarlo bar.

Old 8/31/04, 12:31 PM
GT Member

Yeah that's what I thought after I dropped the carb on the engine. I even called MSD to see if there is a flat cap for that dizzy, but no they don't make one for it.

Mine has the riser ring also but it still hits the wires before resting on the carb flange. Your photos helped alot, I didn't realize that there was that much room. After looking at hose photos I will have to measure carefully, maybe I can use a spacer after all. Thanks.

I guess the smart thing to do here would be, remove dizzy cap, install air filter, use clay to maesure the clearance under the closed hood.
Old 8/31/04, 01:52 PM
Cobra Member

Mine's a 67 so this prob isnt of any help to you, but with the repo Shelby air cleaner and 2" element, even a 1" carb spacer fits (on a dual-plane intake) under the stock hood. Its close, but it makes it!
________
CHILDREN PRILOSEC

Last edited by LMan; 8/20/11 at 08:23 AM.
Old 8/31/04, 10:23 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had this problem before but with a G.M. car that I modified .If you want put your air cleaner on with the ring that would give you the proper height ...get a flash light and close the hood to the point that you can barrly see in ...check the frame of the hood to see if there would be any contact points on the air cleaner ,then open the hood .Now where you think the problem point might be measure the air cleaner from that top edge to the manifold ,remove air cleaner and put a peace of styrofoam on that area thats the same height with a piece of 2 sided tape on the top of it .If the hood misses it won't stick ,if it does the foam will be stuck to the hood and being a little more stiffer than clay you can see how much crunch there was if any .I hope this helps!