1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

67 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 9/28/12, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
67 mustang

I guys!

Well I had started my 67 mustang got a loud grinding noise. Felt it was the starter! Took it out, seemed to be a bit
Lose in place!
I took it to the local shop who felt it was working, they change the housing according to what 67 mustang calls for.
I brought it home, installed it! When I was installing it I notice a washer had been jammed up being the fly wheel casing where it meets the starter bolts, probably as a shim! But only one side!!!
Anyway, I installed the starter and went to give it a go, no action!!!! No power it seems! Just a couple clicks coming from the voltage regulator.
So I took out the starter relay (solenoid as some refer to it as).
I came home hooked up the solenoid an gave it a go, nothing!!!! No power nothing happens except the couple clicks in the voltage regulator.
I have checked the battery earlier today, before
Replacing the starter relay, 12++ volts there ! Had no power at the relay, that's why I changed it out.
I am very new to the car world, need some serious help, if anyone has a fix or a starting point as to what I can do, please let me know,
I have cleaned the contacts, negative post and wire on the battery!
I cleaned the wires that connect to the starter relay. Cleaned all these by sanding them with a dremel tool.
I have other issues going on too! When I connect the battery, I get all left side lighting staying on, signals (hood, and bumper and rear left)!
Attached Thumbnails 67 mustang-image-4192711116.jpg   67 mustang-image-11142501.jpg   67 mustang-image-1219124403.jpg  
Old 9/28/12, 09:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
You have wiring issues. Bad. Someone has messed up the wiring in that car.

I know, I know... duh. But it has to be said, so that this can be said:

You might want to consult a mechanic who knows wiring, and possibly '67 Mustangs, although the latter isn't a prerequisite. You seem to be having quite a little struggle with this one's woes...
Old 9/29/12, 06:47 AM
GT Member

Also, did it come to your attention you don't have your heater box hoses installed? The places that the hoses are supposed to connect to the intake/water pump are just looped together with one hose. Not a problem, if you don't want a heater. Funny question: Do you even have a heater box? If you don't want it, that's another story. If you didn't know it didn't have it, the previous owner probably set it up to race and didn't want the extra weight.
Old 9/29/12, 07:17 AM

Hi guys,

Yes I know I have wiring problems as I have seen haha!
As for the heater box, I have it an am in the process of trying to reinstall it but working on getting it started first, yes am aware the hoses to the heater box are looped.
Old 9/29/12, 07:58 AM

Fmsixtyseven,
Is there anyway you might be able to provide
Me with some pics or drawing of the connections tithe heater box?
I have it all taken apart as I'm cleaning it up, wasn't installed so I will try to get it put on but will need to know where it connects and hose locations etc.
Maybe some pics or a drawing if it isn't too much to ask.
Oh by the way, I am a huge fan of the blue and those white stripped just make it awesome !!!!
Old 9/30/12, 04:07 PM
GT Member

The top hose coming out of the firewall from the heater box connects to the water pump. The other hose connects to the port near the thermostat housing on the intake. Sorry, I don't have any pictures from my car, being that we are in the process of installing a vintage ac system in it. You should be able to find some good pictures on the internet, though. Mustang Monthly usually has some "how-to's" on this kind of stuff.

Thanks, by the way! When we were building the car, everyone always asks "What color are you going to paint it?" So, we decided to be as original as possible (blue with white stripes), while adding our own personal flair with the turn signal hood, 1969 hood scoop, and red pinstripe. A lot of people were a little skeptical with the "radical" paint scheme, but we stuck with our guts. Trust me, there were worse ideas put on the table. I believe it turned out quite nicely. Plus, how can you go wrong with red, white, and blue?
Old 10/3/12, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the info. You are absolutely right there is no way you can ever go wrong red, white and blue! Way to stick to your plan, turned out awesome! I have black stripes on mine but they only did the front and rear, none on the roof! Wish I had the roof done too!
I currently have the entire eater box and other taken apart, just cleaning it all and planing on reinstallation