1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

1969 firethorn red gt fastback

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/23, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1969 firethorn red gt fastback

I am completely restoring a 1969 indian fire red gt fastback for my wife car has been in my neighbors barn since 1979 we new the original owner car was on blocks with almost no rust whatsoever only a little behind rear wheels and one small hole in floor pan on drivers side other wise the most sold car i have ever seen car is complete but is missing motor and transmission emblem on hood scoop is 351 but no hood pins it has the flip gas cap the hood scoop with turn signals has 351 badging on front fenders under the mustang emblem and no strip of any kind i was going to just restore to my and my wifes liking but the more i research the car it seems like a possibly rare 69 gt of this color may be a rare find just curious if car could be worth more to put back to original or is it really not that rare and can be restored and done the way we want and have fun driving it to shows etc

Last edited by aaronfox; 8/6/23 at 08:53 PM. Reason: mis print
Old 8/6/23, 09:35 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I'd probably research the vin and other build stuff to make sure what it is for sure, maybe even splurge on a Marti report if you can afford it. If it is what you have seen, honestly it's not a high dollar car on return investment, regardless of rare color or options. Drivetrain combo tends to be what drives price, rarity of options is what drives those up even more. I personally wouldn't sink a ton into it until I knew for sure what it was originally.

Also check the lower corners of the doors, 69-70 were known to accumulate water there and rust. It you replace them, make sure someone puts drain holes in the corner of the doors.
Old 8/7/23, 10:06 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,116 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I'd probably research the vin and other build stuff to make sure what it is for sure, maybe even splurge on a Marti report if you can afford it. If it is what you have seen, honestly it's not a high dollar car on return investment, regardless of rare color or options. Drivetrain combo tends to be what drives price, rarity of options is what drives those up even more. I personally wouldn't sink a ton into it until I knew for sure what it was originally.

Also check the lower corners of the doors, 69-70 were known to accumulate water there and rust. It you replace them, make sure someone puts drain holes in the corner of the doors.

Was a tough read, but I agree with "Blown" on this one.
Old 8/7/23, 10:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,039 Posts
agreed with above, sounds like the Marti report would be a good investment (but I have no idea how much they cost)

to get a better response to future posts, you should make your post easier to read -- use line breaks, punctuation, capitalization, etc. .... it doesn't need to be perfect English prose, just readable