1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

1967 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/05, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to put the MUSTANG letters on the side of my 1967 mustang, but I do not know where to drill the holes on the fenders. Can anyone tell me if a template is available or the exact overall length of the M to the G, and any other info that would help with installation? email me @ melthom@caninet.com
Old 7/29/05, 01:37 PM

One of the mustang mags had a good article on exact placement about two years or so ago. I can look around to see if I can find it. Probably next week sometime...
Daniel
Old 7/29/05, 02:15 PM

Thanks, Daniel! There is a '67 locally, but he hasn't been at any of the shows lately. I bring a cloth tape measure wherever I go just in case....
Old 7/29/05, 09:44 PM
V6 Member

I believe I saw an article on this subject in mustang monthly. Now if I can only remember the issue it was in.
Old 8/8/05, 06:53 PM

i had the same problem. I just went to a junkyard and bought an old fender and mad a template out of it. It worked great!
Old 8/9/05, 09:48 PM

I was able to get the dimensions from a guy that has them on his car. I then made a template from clear plastic. and drilled the holes and mounted the letters and Mustang Emblems! They look great.

I did have a slight problem because I only used one set of letters to verify the template. The other set were extremely hard to fit, but they still look pretty good.

I guess that is what happens when you don't use NOS stuff! :angry:

Thanks to all of those who responded to my dilema! It's great to have a forum like this for us car nuts!
Old 8/9/05, 11:28 PM

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I was away on business. This may be of general interest, so I will post here instead of emailing directly...

These are from the June, 2001 issue of Mustang Monthly.

On the right side, we're measuring from the fender's trailing edge at the door to the left side of each letter as follows: M is 1 1/2 inches, U is 3 1/4", S is 5", T is 6 1/2", A is 6 1/2", N is 7 1/8", N is 9 1/2", and G is 11 1/8". Use a straigth edge to measure your letters, and tape them in for accuracy. MUSTANG is 10 5/8" from the upper beltline radius.
On the left side, MUSTANG goes like this: G is 1 1/2" from the trailing edge, N is 3", A is 4 1/2", T is 6 1/4", S is 7 1/8", U is 9 1/8", and M is 10 1/8". All leaters are measured from the right side. MUSTANG is 10 1/2" down from the upper beltline radius.
For the V8, the pony and tribar on the passenger's side is
7 1/4" from the upper beltline radius (to the top of the emblem) and 13" from the left side to the fender's trailing edge at the door
For the driver's side, the pony and tribar is
7 1/4" down from the upper beltline radius (to the top of the emblem) and 13" forward of the fender's trailing edge at the door.
Hope this helps,
Daniel
Old 8/10/05, 09:25 PM

Those measurements are almost identical to the ones that I took from the car. The only problem is trying to find out where the actual holes for the pins on the letters go.

The pins for each letter are not the same length or angle (even on each letter) and the angle of the letters make it real difficult to set the height. If anyone is interested, here is how I made the template:

Find some (1/4" standard) graph paper and draw a vertical line at the left most location for each letter and emblems as per the measurements above. Place some Duct Tape on the back of the page to give the paper some strength.

Place the graph paper on something soft like stryofoam and press down on each letter to lightly mark the paper. Place the paper on something rigid and punch holes through the paper & duct tape. Insert the letters etc. to verify the location so that each letter is exactly on the line and at the same height.

Take a look at the result and adjust the pin holes by adding layers of duct tape for strength and new holes. Check the height by using the graph paper as your reference.

When you are satisfied with the result, find some clear plastic (I used .040" shim stock), and draw the graph lines in pencil on it. Line the paper template up with the lines on the plastic, mark the hole locations, and you are ready to drill the holes. Verify both sets of letters and both emblem locations on the template. If you are off a little bit, you can use a smaller drill to start the hole higher lower etc. on each fender or if you have a lot of patience, paper and plastic, you can repeat the entire process until perfect!