1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

1965 Mustang Dies

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/14, 03:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1965 Mustang Dies

My 65 GT runs like a top when cold and first startup. But when I decide to take it into town, about 20 minutes of driving it will die at a stoplight.. Then it's very difficult to start back up. I got it home and lifted the hood and the radiator overfill thing was spitting out water? Does it need more water? Is my radiator bad? Every tip is appreciated !
Old 3/18/14, 09:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
what kind of choke setup do you have? It sounds like it isn't opening after the car warms up. Warm the car up and pull the air cleaner off to see if the choke blade deal is open all the way.

I think the car care section is for cleaning tips and such.
Old 3/18/14, 09:54 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
what kind of choke setup do you have? It sounds like it isn't opening after the car warms up. Warm the car up and pull the air cleaner off to see if the choke blade deal is open all the way. I think the car care section is for cleaning tips and such.
I don't know.. Should it be closed all the way? Open? Or what?
Old 3/18/14, 12:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
closed when cold and open all the way after it has warmed up.
Old 3/18/14, 11:17 PM
V6 Member

And this needs to be adjusted manually all the time?
Old 3/19/14, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Thinking about your radiator overflow spitting water, are you sure the car isn't overheating? You could have a thermostat stuck shut, or a bad water pump. Does it have a temperature gauge, or idiot light? Check the radiator when the car is cold. Never a good idea to open a radiator cap when the car is hot, expecially if it's overheating. You'll get sprayed with scalding water or steam.
I forget what operates the choke on those older cars. What I do remember is setting the choke on a cold car by pressing the accelerator to the floor once before starting. Sometimes, when an automatic choke quit working we'd install a manual cable under the dash to operate the choke.

Last edited by mcate; 3/19/14 at 11:40 AM.
Old 3/19/14, 09:28 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mcate
Thinking about your radiator overflow spitting water, are you sure the car isn't overheating? You could have a thermostat stuck shut, or a bad water pump. Does it have a temperature gauge, or idiot light? Check the radiator when the car is cold. Never a good idea to open a radiator cap when the car is hot, expecially if it's overheating. You'll get sprayed with scalding water or steam. I forget what operates the choke on those older cars. What I do remember is setting the choke on a cold car by pressing the accelerator to the floor once before starting. Sometimes, when an automatic choke quit working we'd install a manual cable under the dash to operate the choke.
Hmm. I'll have to check that stuff out ! Thanks !!
Old 3/20/14, 04:51 PM
V6 Member

The manual choke is the way to go, much rather have that than an auto choke.
Old 3/21/14, 12:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by martmustang66
The manual choke is the way to go, much rather have that than an auto choke.
How do I check to see if I have a manual or auto?
Old 3/21/14, 12:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by izaacrudd
I saw this reply on the "Current Threads" feed and I was about to say... but then I read what you're asking about
Old 3/21/14, 02:14 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I saw this reply on the "Current Threads" feed and I was about to say... but then I read what you're asking about
still applies...
Old 3/21/14, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm looking into adding an electric choke on mine. Sitting at the base of the carb, the small cylinder will be your choke (if you have one). It will be linked probably on the passenger side to the front valve that regulates the amount or air coming in at startup. An electric choke will have a ground wire and hot wire coming off of it. A manual one will have a cable running somewhere - most likely the dash.

The idea is when it's cold, the valve is closed, allowing very little air in - this makes the mixture richer for startup. As things warm up, it opens to lean out the mixture. Since I have no choke currently, when I start mine, I have to crank a while for it to fire, an then I have to baby it with gas or it will die, but once it comes to temp it runs okay (there are other issues at play in my case).
Old 3/21/14, 02:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If it is a manual choke there will be a cable coming from the carb, going through the firewall, attached to a **** coming out either in the dashboard or underneath. Normally to the right of the steering wheel.
Old 3/21/14, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ER12883
I'm looking into adding an electric choke on mine. Sitting at the base of the carb, the small cylinder will be your choke (if you have one). It will be linked probably on the passenger side to the front valve that regulates the amount or air coming in at startup. An electric choke will have a ground wire and hot wire coming off of it. A manual one will have a cable running somewhere - most likely the dash. The idea is when it's cold, the valve is closed, allowing very little air in - this makes the mixture richer for startup. As things warm up, it opens to lean out the mixture. Since I have no choke currently, when I start mine, I have to crank a while for it to fire, an then I have to baby it with gas or it will die, but once it comes to temp it runs okay (there are other issues at play in my case).
So it almost sounds like you have the opposite issue as I do - like your choke it stuck closed instead of open, making the mixture way too rich. If it is manual, it might just be a matter of opening it up.
Old 3/21/14, 07:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54
If it is a manual choke there will be a cable coming from the carb, going through the firewall, attached to a **** coming out either in the dashboard or underneath. Normally to the right of the steering wheel.
I have a black **** that comes in and out. But I realized it open and closes a flap for a vent it looks like..? a big circular vent under the steering wheel.
Old 3/21/14, 09:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a black **** that comes in and out. But I realized it open and closes a flap for a vent it looks like..? a big circular vent under the steering wheel.
yeah, that's not it. I would start at the carb and see what's on that end.
Old 4/4/14, 08:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ER12883
yeah, that's not it. I would start at the carb and see what's on that end.
Yeah it's an electric choke. The choke was holding the butterfly shut. Runs a lot better but still does at a stoplight.