1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

1965 Mustang dealership sales & option info

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/05, 03:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The title of this thread should read..."1965 ORIGINAL Mustang dealership ... info...

In the context of documenting / authenticating my 1965 fastback for future MCA shows in the Concours-Driven classification:

1. Was installing an Autolite 4100 4 barrel carburetor on a 1965 Mustang 289 V-8 engine a dealer option back in 1965?

2. Does anyone know any way to research old Ford sales records, perhaps via the VIN number, in order to determine to original sales dealership of a 1965 Mustang fastback (i.e. mine currently), VIN # 5F09C729576, with an original DSO of 21 = Atlanta?

I am trying to do some research to document my 1965 fastback for MCA Concours--Driven show classification purposes. The car currently has an Autolite 4100 4 barrel carburetor, but according to the VIN number was a "C" code engine with a 2 barrel carburetor. The date stamped on the underside of the 4100 is 7/21/64, making it roughly contemporaneous with the build date of the car of 5/16/65.

Shooting in the dark, we thought if we can document, perhaps via a letter from the Atlanta dealership who sold it if it still exists, or perhaps via a letter from Ford, that although the carburetor was not factory original but was installed shortly after production and delivery, then we might be able to recover the 5 point deduction by the MCA judges. I am NOT willing to replace the 4 barrel carb with an original 2 barrel. So, I may simply have to concede those 5 points in every show I enter.

Brad has suggested that I query the MCA national judges about the Autolite 4100 being a dealer installed option, and I will do that. But input from you guys would be helpful.

Any other insight anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 6/17/05, 05:06 PM
Cobra Member

not to pimp anpther site, but www.vintage-mustang.com has a lot of card-carrying MCA judges on it...they will know that answer right off, Im sure.

Be aware that a huge fire destroyed nearly all of Fords paper records of the 65-66 cars about 20-30 years ago (IIRC), so getting documentation of that period is something of hard investigation and luck.
Old 6/17/05, 08:26 PM

Thanks, LMan, I'll check that site out. I have emailed one of the MCA National Judges for 64 1/2 - 66, but haven't heard back from him yet.

Brad told me about the fire destroying the pre-1967 Ford records. I had previously read that they were unavailable, but hadn't heard about a fire until today (you and Brad).

Anyone else? Thanks again.
Old 6/18/05, 03:31 PM
V6 Member

I am not an MCA judge, but I am sure you could purchase an Autolite 4100 through the parts counters at Ford Dealers in 1965. The dealers really pushed the performance upgrade parts. I have even seen an ad campain that they ran in 65 & 66 featuring the cobra parts (4BBl, Webers, upgraded Cams, Hipo Exhaust, etc). I imagine that the dates on your carb could back-up that story.

You may want to contact some of the Ford dealers in Atlanta and inquire about old sales records. A friend of mine was researching a 69 Camaro, and had a Protecto Plate that stated which dealer originally sold the car. He contacted the dealer in that town, and although they had changed their name, it was still owned by the same family. They had old records in storage, and he was able to get the original invoice on the car. I was thinking about trying to do this with my car, but since it is an original Los Angeles car, I don't know where to begin.
Old 6/18/05, 04:52 PM

Wow, thanks Craig. Your input is encouraging. I have a buddy in Atlanta (I'm just outside of New Orleans); now if I can get him to call the dealers there and go crawl around their archive storage facility....