Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Front grille project...

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/14, 07:16 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front grille project...

So my plan was to leave my 2014 GT grille as is, except add the Raxiom smoked halo foglights, but now I have been seriously looking at the CDC open grille, and add the Roush lower grille delete... I love the GT500 front end, and I would love to replicate it... I have my GT500 spoiler at the dealer getting painted, and am thinking of going this route instead... I will lose the fogs, and my pony logo, but to look like a GT500, I am thinking I might just do it... That's one thing about modifying our cars... So many choices and options!
Old 6/7/14, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know what you mean. After eliminating the numerous choices, I ended up with the Roush upper & lower grilles. Added the smaller size straight tail pony logo and called it good. My second favorite was the Pony package or Ford accessory grilles for fog light delete.

Name:  120140606_172901_resized_zpsdf78d0a0.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  120.7 KB

Name:  resize-2-copy_zps207c3e7b.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  120.2 KB

Old 6/8/14, 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I love my CDC and lower delete grilles
Attached Thumbnails Front grille project...-20140531_202049.jpg  
Old 6/8/14, 09:47 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
I love my CDC and lower delete grilles
Nice... What's the lower grille???
Old 6/8/14, 11:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rynaldo
So my plan was to leave my 2014 GT grille as is, except add the Raxiom smoked halo foglights, but now I have been seriously looking at the CDC open grille, and add the Roush lower grille delete... I love the GT500 front end, and I would love to replicate it... I have my GT500 spoiler at the dealer getting painted, and am thinking of going this route instead... I will lose the fogs, and my pony logo, but to look like a GT500, I am thinking I might just do it... That's one thing about modifying our cars... So many choices and options!
I've never been a big fan of making your car "look" like another one. Especially a more expensive trim. Not only does it make you look like a wannabe. But it's disrespectful to the ones that actually own that "better" car. I don't see it as flattery. Just my opinion .

Last edited by typesredline; 6/8/14 at 11:36 AM.
Old 6/8/14, 12:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
I've never been a big fan of making your car "look" like another one. Especially a more expensive trim. Not only does it make you look like a wannabe. But it's disrespectful to the ones that actually own that "better" car. I don't see it as flattery. Just my opinion .
Your opinion is appreciated... I am definitely not trying to be disrespectful that's for sure... I am looking at both options, I just really like the open look that's all... I won't be rebadging my car, or making it to try to confuse anyone, I just was considering making it my version of a tricked out 5.0 that has all the cool bits I have always liked on the GT500... Thanks for your input though...
Old 6/8/14, 12:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Your opinion is appreciated... I am definitely not trying to be disrespectful that's for sure... I am looking at both options, I just really like the open look that's all... I won't be rebadging my car, or making it to try to confuse anyone, I just was considering making it my version of a tricked out 5.0 that has all the cool bits I have always liked on the GT500... Thanks for your input though...
I know what you mean. To me, it's not different than all the SN95 guys (myself included) installing the Mach 1 grille delete on their cars. It's not like you said you were going to put snake emblems on it...
Old 6/8/14, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice... What's the lower grille???
It is a roush lower grille delete and it is your car so you can do what you want to it.
Old 6/8/14, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Who says a GT500 is better than my car, I think I can keep up with them if not in the lead
Besides it is all in the taste and one can do whatever they want the their own car, thats why its called modding.
Old 6/8/14, 12:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
My GTCS came with a GT 500 rear diffuser and Boss front valance. OMG

I'm blatantly disrespectful.

Seriously, put whatever you want on your ride. If a more "expensive car" gets their feelings hurt then they are most likely around 5 feet tall in person if you know what I mean. Haha
Old 6/8/14, 01:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I know what you mean. To me, it's not different than all the SN95 guys (myself included) installing the Mach 1 grille delete on their cars. It's not like you said you were going to put snake emblems on it...
I totally understand that he was just talking about SIMILAR looking grills. My point was simply to address going to far with it and my opinion of when someone has reached that threshold.

You gotta understand that when some people do these part swaps, it's not due to good taste. They DO indeed want to trick people into thinking they have a more expensive car. I again understand that this is not your goal.

I've always thought, I bought a gt bc I wanted a gt. Why do I want to change it to another trim? Guys always putting Honda badges on acuras...makes no sense. Buy a Honda if you want a Honda.
Old 6/8/14, 01:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I totally understand that he was just talking about SIMILAR looking grills. My point was simply to address going to far with it and my opinion of when someone has reached that threshold. You gotta understand that when some people do these part swaps, it's not due to good taste. They DO indeed want to trick people into thinking they have a more expensive car. I again understand that this is not your goal. I've always thought, I bought a gt bc I wanted a gt. Why do I want to change it to another trim? Guys always putting Honda badges on acuras...makes no sense. Buy a Honda if you want a Honda.
I know what you meant too. Even though he basically said that he wanted it to look like a GT500, I knew what he meant.

And I don't agree with the Honda/Acura thing. Judging by your sn, you used to be a Honda owner. Acura was a brand made for the US - their cars have always been identical to JDM higher trim Hondas. I think the Integra, RSX and NSX all look better with the JDM Honda emblems - same goes for the Infiniti/Nissan twins.
Old 6/8/14, 01:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
Who says a GT500 is better than my car, I think I can keep up with them if not in the lead Besides it is all in the taste and one can do whatever they want the their own car, thats why its called modding.
No one said better. I said "better". With quote fingers, lol. I agree with you.

And sure, obviously people can mod how they want. But that doesn't change the perception it gives to enthusiasts looking in and how they will judge you.
Old 6/8/14, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

I know what you meant too. Even though he basically said that he wanted it to look like a GT500, I knew what he meant. And I don't agree with the Honda/Acura thing. Judging by your sn, you used to be a Honda owner. Acura was a brand made for the US - their cars have always been identical to JDM higher trim Hondas. I think the Integra, RSX and NSX all look better with the JDM Honda emblems - same goes for the Infiniti/Nissan twins.
Still am. I bought an Acura RSX type s. Not a Honda. Rebadging is a cardinal sin IMO.
Old 6/8/14, 01:28 PM
GT Member

No one said better. I said "better". With quote fingers, lol. I agree with you.

And sure, obviously people can mod how they want. But that doesn't change the perception it gives to enthusiasts looking in and how they will judge you.
Great discussion, but me considering to do a GT500 looking front end is not me trying to "trick" anyone into thinking I have a GT500... I just really like the front end... That's really all to be honest...
Old 6/8/14, 01:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Still am. I bought an Acura RSX type s. Not a Honda. Rebadging is a cardinal sin IMO.
My buddy has one and is of the same school of thought. Personally I just like doing and having things that aren't what everyone else has. Rebadging to me, is not the same as "up-badging" - for instance, there's a guy around the corner from my parents' house who has a lowered standard RSX (the base model with the auto and 160hp detuned motor); he put Type-S badges on it.

One thing I do hate, though, is people who put the Honda/Toyota/Nissan emblems on the exterior and forget to do the airbag cover, engine cover and/or seat covers. It only looks good if you commit and do everything.
Old 6/8/14, 02:04 PM
Cobra Member

Great discussion, but me considering to do a GT500 looking front end is not me trying to "trick" anyone into thinking I have a GT500... I just really like the front end... That's really all to be honest...
That is the exception I think. I'm all for your plans. I'm mean hey, I've got the boss quad exhaust! Lol.

Others though start with something like the front end, and don't stop until the avg person couldn't tell the difference.
Old 6/8/14, 02:08 PM
Cobra Member

My buddy has one and is of the same school of thought. Personally I just like doing and having things that aren't what everyone else has. Rebadging to me, is not the same as "up-badging" - for instance, there's a guy around the corner from my parents' house who has a lowered standard RSX (the base model with the auto and 160hp detuned motor); he put Type-S badges on it. One thing I do hate, though, is people who put the Honda/Toyota/Nissan emblems on the exterior and forget to do the airbag cover, engine cover and/or seat covers. It only looks good if you commit and do everything.
Agree 100%. BIG difference between REbadging and UPbadging. I never thought of it that way, but you're right.

Honda badge on a type s...ok (as long as you commit like you said). But a type s badge on a base...no no no. (Btw. The k20a3 [base RSX motor] isn't a detuned type s motor [k20a2]. Totally different head, valve train, and oem bolt ons )

How about when people put other brands stuff on. Like the Acura type s badge on a carolla..... :facepalm:

Last edited by typesredline; 6/8/14 at 02:12 PM.
Old 6/8/14, 02:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Agree 100%. BIG difference between REbadging and UPbadging. I never thought of it that way, but you're right. Honda badge on a type s...ok (as long as you commit like you said). But a type s badge on a base...no no no. (Btw. The k20a3 [base RSX motor] isn't a detuned type s motor [k20a2]. Totally different head, valve train, and oem bolt ons ) How about when people put other brands stuff on. Like the Acura type s badge on a carolla..... :facepalm:
Yeah that last one - . I've seen Minis with Mustang emblems on them Glad we came to agreement haha. And my mistake, I know there are bigger differences than just the tune on the two K20s, but 99% of the guys here wouldn't know lol. I'm from the SF Bay Area - I am a Ford/Mustang guy at heart, but I like a lot of different stuff and see it all around here. More so the imports. Most people around here get along too, unlike the south where it's the rivers versus the muscle cars. If I had unlimited funds, I'd have all kinds of different cars.

I plan to put the "Powered by Ford" emblems on my car when I get if - a lot of people here would think it's blasphemy to take the 5.0s off but I just like the way those emblems look. I'm doing a P-51 theme and I feel the PBF emblems would go well with the theme. If I wasn't doing that theme, I'd consider doing the tribar emblems on the fenders, as I've always liked those too. Ooo I'd be putting "V6 emblems on my GT!!!" Heaven forbid!!! Lol. People are so quick to forget that the 03-04 Mach 1 had the same emblems on their fenders... Like I said, I like doing things that are unique, but I'd never up-badge my car...

Last edited by laserred38; 6/8/14 at 02:55 PM.
Old 6/8/14, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

You mean I was wrong when I took my Pontiac Fiero and turned it into a Ferrari? LOL For the record, not mine!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Blown CS; 6/8/14 at 02:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Front grille project...