Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Dyno results: C&L No-Tune Air Intake on a Boss 302 with the Track Key Tune

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/13, 01:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyno results: C&L No-Tune Air Intake on a Boss 302 with the Track Key Tune

The C&L "no-tune" air intake is fully compatible with the Boss intake manifold and the Boss Track Key Tune. Additional Independent Dyno testing was performed at Maryville Speed and Custom. This graph shows the Horsepower and Air/Fuel results of our C&L No-Tune Air Intake System for the Boss 302 with the Track Key Tune.
For more information, visit our 2011-2013 Mustang pages http://www.cnlperformance.com/produc...bid=58&catid=6
Old 2/15/13, 02:02 PM
GT Member

Nice gains there for sure.
Old 2/15/13, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
So it's running a little leaner, which could certainly account for at least SOME of the power increase.
Over some driving though, the computer will compensate for that and what will that mean for the HP increase?
Will it go away since the computer basically "got used to" the new intake set-up?

I guess I'd like to know how long was this intake installed on the car before it got dyno'd ?
Was the intake installed and off-to-the-dyno?
Or was the car driven for a few hundred miles before the dyno session ?

Old 2/18/13, 10:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gabe
So it's running a little leaner, which could certainly account for at least SOME of the power increase.
Over some driving though, the computer will compensate for that and what will that mean for the HP increase?
The small difference in the air/fuel that is present only in the very upper RPM range does not significantly impact the results. On the 2011 and newer computers, the "learning" is almost instantaneous in comparison to the older computers. These vehicles are equipped with a wide-band O2 sensor that provides real-time feedback to the computer with accurate air/fuel ratio information. The computer is programmed to target a specific lambda (air/fuel) measurement that is defined in the WOT fuel table, and thanks to the wide-band, any changes that would traditionally effect the air/fuel ratio are adjusted for immediately. That is, so long as the adjustment necessary does not exceed the computers window of learning. This is not the case with our air intake, as the signal that is sent to the computer is within 1% of the original air intake assembly. You could drive the car for a month and the results would still be the same.

This vehicle was dyno tested in the following configurations:
All Stock, "Standard Key" tune
All Stock, "Track Key" tune
C&L "No Tune" air intake installed, "Standard Key" tune
C&L "No Tune" air intake installed, "Track Key" tune

The reason why the "track key" results was posted is due to the fact that the "standard key" tunes delivered a significantly leaner than ideal air/fuel ratio both without the air intake and with. The air/fuel ratio graphs were virtually identical in both configurations, as they should be. Upon first examination, it would seem that the wide-band on the dyno was going bad, but the results were so consistent and the graph results indicated that the air/fuel ratios were in fact different than those tests when using the "Track Key". The owner is looking into why his "standard key" tunes were so lean. The "Track Key" testing, however, showed an air/fuel ratio that is within the normal anticipated range, which is why those were the results that were presented.

I have attached the "standard key" results, so that you can see how something was OBVIOUSLY wrong with this tune. This is NOT an aftermarket performance tune, but rather the factory Ford tune that came in the vehicle when the owner purchased the car. As you can see, the air/fuel ratio during all tests were consistent, with the exception of the exact RPM point where the air/fuel ratio "finally" corrected itself to be within the proper range just before the end of the pulls. This shows comparable gains with the same air/fuel ratio both before and after the installation of the air intake. Unfortunately, the tune is not delivering a proper/ideal air/fuel ratio until the very end of the dyno pull...
Attached Thumbnails Dyno results: C&L No-Tune Air Intake on a Boss 302 with the Track Key Tune-boss_standard_key_air_fuel.jpg  

Last edited by Tech@C&L; 2/18/13 at 10:02 AM.
Old 2/18/13, 01:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much does your intake with a tune make on a GT?
Old 2/18/13, 03:42 PM
Banned

With our intake and a good 93 octane tune you can expect between 28 and 30 RWHP over stock.

Check out this Dyno test done on Jake LaMotta's 2011 GT for a MM&FF article.

Whenever you hear of power claims that seem "too good to be true" regarding air intake and tuner combos on these vehicles, these claims are not PEAK numbers, but rather PEAK GAINS which take place in the upper midrange RPM's. This is because the factory tune lowers the timing by 5 degrees in the 4,000 to 5,000 RPM range as opposed to the RPM area before and after that range. A performance tune adds that 5 degrees back into the tune PLUS an additional 3 to 5 degrees on top of that. This results in a timing level increase within this range that delivers substantial midrange gains over the stock tune. PEAK HP realized with both an air intake and tune on these vehicles will realistically be not more than about 26 or so HP higher than the Peak HP "before" measurement. 12 to 14 of that HP is coming from the air intake upgrade with roughly 12 more peak HP coming from the tune in the upper RPM range. I hope that I am making this distinction clear about the difference between "peak measurement" and "peak gain". This is one of the reasons why people get confused when they hear of gains in the upper midrange that seem to not be possible. For example, the "Base" test in the above graph was AFTER custom tuning had been performed by Chris Johnson. If the "Before Tuning" graph was shown (it was tested in the previous issue), you would see really nice gains in the upper midrange (see the "bump" at 4,400 RPM?) that had already been realized prior to the above testing...

Last edited by Tech@C&L; 2/19/13 at 09:34 AM.
Old 2/21/13, 07:30 PM
V6 Member

Were the tests done with the hood closed?
Old 2/22/13, 09:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kws6000
Were the tests done with the hood closed?
Performing a test with the hood closed will NOT simulate the same result as what your vehicle will experience while driving down the road. This is because there is no way to simulate on the dyno the volume of airflow that is pushed through the "fresh air" inlet that resides between the radiator and the headlight assembly. The bottom of our filter shroud completely "scoops" around this fresh air feed, and all airflow that comes through the grille inlet is directed right into the air filter assembly. If there were any difference in the result, it would not be from an increase in the air charge temperature, as our shroud isolates the filter from the engine compartment adequately, but rather from a "shrouding" effect of having the hood directly above and in close proximity to the top of the air filter.

But, since you asked, we do have a local customer who owns a 2011 that is about to go on the dyno. I will ask the shop that is performing the testing to do at least two pulls with both the hood open and the hood closed...

Last edited by Tech@C&L; 2/22/13 at 09:26 AM.
Old 2/23/13, 10:14 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Tech@C&L
Performing a test with the hood closed will NOT simulate the same result as what your vehicle will experience while driving down the road. This is because there is no way to simulate on the dyno the volume of airflow that is pushed through the "fresh air" inlet that resides between the radiator and the headlight assembly. The bottom of our filter shroud completely "scoops" around this fresh air feed, and all airflow that comes through the grille inlet is directed right into the air filter assembly. If there were any difference in the result, it would not be from an increase in the air charge temperature, as our shroud isolates the filter from the engine compartment adequately, but rather from a "shrouding" effect of having the hood directly above and in close proximity to the top of the air filter.

But, since you asked, we do have a local customer who owns a 2011 that is about to go on the dyno. I will ask the shop that is performing the testing to do at least two pulls with both the hood open and the hood closed...
Well, I dont drive with my hood up, so your posted results are totally meaningless in real life.... where there is going to be a shrouding effect from the closed hood.
Old 2/23/13, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

If you're referring to a "shrouding effect" reducing airflow, that doesn't happen. Conical filters have more than ample surface area to supply the engine with restriction-free air. This is evident when testing intake restriction on the road with a manometer. The stock intake on my Boss had a negative pressure of 23 inches of water at WOT vs. 6 inches with the Steeda CAI. The C&L is a similar design and would likely produce similar results.
Old 2/25/13, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 65sohc
If you're referring to a "shrouding effect" reducing airflow, that doesn't happen. Conical filters have more than ample surface area to supply the engine with restriction-free air. This is evident when testing intake restriction on the road with a manometer. The stock intake on my Boss had a negative pressure of 23 inches of water at WOT vs. 6 inches with the Steeda CAI. The C&L is a similar design and would likely produce similar results.
Yes, you will see a considerable reduction in the depression inside the air intake when going from the factory assembly to an aftermarket upgrade, which is less restrictive. We have proprietary test equipment here that the other air intake manufacturers do not even have access to, so we are able to test and simulate all types of configurations on our computerized flowbench. I did not state that you WOULD see a reduction in airflow when the hood is closed, but was stating that the only factor that COULD reduce performance would be the potential result of a shrouding effect from the hood being too close to the top of the air filter assembly which might reduce the amount of airflow available to that portion of the filter at the top of the assembly.

We have specifically tested this "shrouding effect" on an air intake assembly that we make for the Chrysler Hemi passenger cars, and found that when simulating a "closed hood" over the top of the air filter assembly, it did indeed reduce the total airflow capacity of the intake assembly. Where that system differs from the Mustang assembly, however, is that all airflow must come through a single specific opening at the bottom of the assembly and then find it's way up to the filter at a higher position in the engine compartment. When the top of the filter is "not shrouded", airflow is allowed to enter the filter assembly from both above and below the filter, simulating a "hood open" condition. When the top of the filter was tested as "shrouded", to simulate having the hood closed, airflow was only able to reach the filter from the opening below and total airflow capacity was reduced. On the dyno in this Chrysler Hemi application, power dropped by 2 to 3 HP on the dyno when the hood was closed with our system and by 5 HP when testing a competing air intake system (that used a more "open" filter shroud, which increased the intake air temps) on the same vehicle on the same dyno during the same session.

This is not an "apples to apples" comparison, however, as the filter shroud assembly for the Mustang does not force all airflow to enter through one specific opening down below the filter. While the majority of the airflow that enters our system (and the Steeda kit that you mentioned) comes from the factory "cold air" feed, fresh airflow from down below the assembly and from around the headlight area can also find it's way to the filter assembly as well...
Old 2/25/13, 06:36 PM

Hi lee you guys install one of your intakes on my 2012 mustang GT/CS on 2/21/13 if you want to run that test on it I'm up for it I'm off work till 3/4/12. I know it made a big difference in how it runs.
Old 2/26/13, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 5.0 Smoke
Hi lee you guys install one of your intakes on my 2012 mustang GT/CS on 2/21/13 if you want to run that test on it I'm up for it I'm off work till 3/4/12. I know it made a big difference in how it runs.
We have performed this test already, so we know what the results are. The problem is that anything that gets posted that is not from an independent source will be openly questioned. Just like the fact that you have a low post count here on the forum, people will automatically assume that it was someone here at our business that made your post.

The next time you are on the dyno, feel free to perform several runs with both the hood up and the hood closed to see what happens...

Lee
Old 2/26/13, 01:08 PM

Ok Lee. To everyone else no I don't work for C&L but I did get a CAI there and I'm very happy with it.