05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

lightes door sill issues

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/10, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lightes door sill issues

ok decied to install lighted sill plates in my 2008 gt , followed the instuctions jacked into the yellow/green for power, black for ground in the passanger side a pillar and since i dont have an ambiant light jack in the door sill i picked which color i liked blue and spliced into that wire and the the black again for ground on the lighted door sill . then hooked up the battery . turned key on and no lights. i then looked at another posting of the same issue and removed my add a circuit for my v1 into the fuse box. then turned key again no power. at my witts end .love how something so simple is a pain. any ideas or help is welcomed thanks.
Old 1/4/10, 12:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey bud, are these the Ford Accessory lighted sill plates. The ones that say MUSTANG on them? All you need to do, is use pigtail clips, for the wires in the a-pillar to make the connection work. I did this and they work fine. I even changed the LED to blue and now instead of white MUSTANG, its BLUE!!! Did you use clips to tap into the wires? If you did, make sure you pressed hard enough for the metal in the clip to cut into the plastic cover of the wiring. I installed everything correct, but had no lights on the sills, but I then went and got a pair of pliers, squeezed the clips more, and that was enough for it to break the plastic insulation. Once I did that, they lit up and all was good. Just double check the wires where you tapped into them.
Old 1/5/10, 01:22 AM
Bullitt Member

yes they are from ford http://www.fordshowparts.com//store.cfm?store_id=1 i did use the clips to tap into the wires and thought i did apply enough force to the clips but think i will try again.
Old 1/5/10, 12:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by skullzero
yes they are from ford http://www.fordshowparts.com//store.cfm?store_id=1 i did use the clips to tap into the wires and thought i did apply enough force to the clips but think i will try again.
Hey Mark, I thought I used enough force to make the connection through the wires, but didn't the 1st time. Hope this is the issue. These are AWESOME adds to a car!!!
Old 1/5/10, 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Mark
From the information you have given it looks like your wiring is a little bit different than the straight hook up.
It appears that you have the ability to select colors depending on how you wire. The old system you had to change the l.e.d.. Check the voltage going to the l.e.d. lights. It looks like you have a multiple color l.e.d..
Old 1/5/10, 11:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

skullzero, thanks for the link! i have never seen those before. gonna be getting a set of those. just gotta figure out how i want it to look.

as far as your problem, if using more force doesn't work, what i did when i added footwell lights was to actually scrape off a bit of the plastic sheath surrounding the wire, then i put that quick connector on over the exposed wire. another time, after scraping off the plastic sheath, i just soldered the wire directly to each other then wrapped it with electrical tape.

good luck with it and thanks again for the link.
Old 1/6/10, 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Holy Cow
Those are awesome!!!!

I'm going to get me a set when I get paid.
Old 1/6/10, 09:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

I got a flyer from a friend who received his SVT certificate. Ford Performance Group included an ad for the personalized sill plates! THEY ARE SWEET!!! I'm going to eventually get ones that say "06VistaBlueGT" on them as that's my screen name on every other Mustang forum I'm a part of.
Old 1/6/10, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm thinking "The Beast"

When I went to San Antonio, a bunch of the Valet's called it that when they went to get it. They were all of Mexican heritage so I was thinking maybe doing it in Spanish as "La Bestia"
Old 1/6/10, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by gremlin190
I'm thinking "The Beast"

When I went to San Antonio, a bunch of the Valet's called it that when they went to get it. They were all of Mexican heritage so I was thinking maybe doing it in Spanish as "La Bestia"
just curious.... so you want to get "La Bestia" so that Hispanic valet attendants can read your door sill? are you Hispanic/Spanish as well?
Old 1/6/10, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

No,
I was doing it because I like the way it sounds and it's somewhat different.

SkullZero, how many lights does these things have on the bottom?
Old 1/6/10, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

skullzero, so you connected the doorsill wiring to the green/yellow and black/blue wires in the passenger a-pillar? that is what i did for my lighted footwells. i am pretty sure it is the same hook-up for the doorsills.

another question.... did you choose the custom text on either the right or left side of the sill? if you did, does that light up as well? or is it just laser etched into the metal like the logos?
Old 1/6/10, 11:14 PM
Bullitt Member

yes they have red,green,and blue to hook into to select from, on the bottom is 3 wires that connect into a plug for ambiant lighting jacks for those who have it. soundwave i did hook up the same way you stated above. i still havent messed with it since i last posted. i will also post a picture of what it looks like . i did ford racing logo on the left the middle i put my name and right side i put powered by ford, but its kind small logo for powered by ford so i would suggest some other logo.
Old 1/6/10, 11:48 PM
Bullitt Member

does anyone here have the ambiant lighting option in their car. i can changed the color of dash cupholder etc, but the door sills had nothing, even looked under the carpet for this a plug for ambiant lighting. i think 09 models or even late 08 models have have had this installed , but not on my 08 got my car in dec 07 right before the new year going into 08.
Old 1/7/10, 12:22 AM
Bullitt Member

ok here are the door sill pics etc

left side

right side

a pillar

the door sill bottom

the install instructions

this is some more wiring that i did for v1 radar

some other stuff installed in the interior

so hopefully this is going to be it for the interior, ah maybe a radio upgrade next.

Last edited by skullzero; 1/7/10 at 12:31 AM.
Old 1/7/10, 07:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The ambient lights in the late 08 and 09 have a special control box that is located under the console.
Old 1/8/10, 03:46 AM
Bullitt Member

i dont suppose that there is 2 extra plugs under there for the door sills???
Old 1/8/10, 05:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I dought it. I think that they are fiiber optic lines, but not sure. If I can find the schematic I will let you know.
Old 1/8/10, 06:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Looked at the schematic for ambient lights on the 2010 mustangs. They are using multi color leds at each location. It requires the special controller box that is usually located under the console.
Requires 4 wires per led.
Old 1/19/10, 02:51 PM

SkullZero,

I apologize for the mix up. The issue is the power and ground wires on the a-plr are called out wrong. They should be switched. This should fix your power issue. We are updating the instruction sheets to reflect this.
As far as the size of the "POWERED BY FORD" font. If you would like to pick a different logo and even see what it looks like, we will make you another set at no charge for the mix up we caused you. I will send you an email so you have my contact information. If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask.

MJUDGE624

Quick Reply: lightes door sill issues