Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Aero time!

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/16, 08:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Aero time!

Finally pulling the trigger on some aero modifications to the Mustang

Rear wing is purchased and I'm undertaking a project to fab up some canards to compliment the splitter.

Going to do some testing of the rear wing to measure downforce at a couple speeds so I can dial in downforce appropriate for various tracks I drive at.

Anyways, more to come soon!

Old 7/22/16, 08:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Very cool!! What are going to make the canards out of?

I have always wanted to try and make a swan neck mount wing and see how that would work on the car.
Old 7/22/16, 03:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Straight up beast!! Let us know how it effects car control (stability vs understeer)
Old 7/22/16, 04:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Canards :-)
Attached Thumbnails Aero time!-photo359.jpg  
Old 7/22/16, 05:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ford20
Very cool!! What are going to make the canards out of?

I have always wanted to try and make a swan neck mount wing and see how that would work on the car.
I'm going to mess around with some 28 gauge steel because it's easy to cut, bend/form, and drill for mounting. If it's not quite sturdy enough, I'll pick up some ABS plastic or different gauge steel or aluminum... Probably going to do 2 canards per side after reading up on the theory. Bottom one is larger, top one is vortex creation, although I will be quick to admit there is no engineering or analysis (CFD) going into my setup, it's a pretty basic approach.

Originally Posted by SGwick
Straight up beast!! Let us know how it effects car control (stability vs understeer)
Oh I definitely will. The rear wing will be removable (mounting scheme is thought up), so I can easily do some back to back testing, with data of course! More difficult to get data from the canards as they won't add much in terms of downforce up front, but I'm planning to install with slotted brackets so I can mess with angle of attack if I get any funky handling.

More pics and thoughts to come! Maybe I'll even document the process for a DIY... we'll see, usually i get excited and just power through projects like this.
Old 7/22/16, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
I would love to see what you come up with. This is a mod that I have been really thinking about. I have heard really good things about the G stream rear wing. I'm not ready to drop nearly 2K on it though.
I watched several videos and talk to lots of people on the set up for a rear wing. Needless to say I am getting conflicting results. More than likely a company like cortex racing would have some good answers on the set up.
I watched a YouTube video on a race team that had rented a windtunnel in Canada. The price was crazy something like $20,000 for an hour. Obviously that is to pricing or most anyone.
Old 7/22/16, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

My apologies, I quoted the wrong price Per hour of windtunnel testing. Not $20,000 an hour but $2000 an hour. Lol
This is the video link of a 350 Nissan being windtunnel tested
Old 7/22/16, 08:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by redonblackpony
I would love to see what you come up with. This is a mod that I have been really thinking about. I have heard really good things about the G stream rear wing. I'm not ready to drop nearly 2K on it though.
I watched several videos and talk to lots of people on the set up for a rear wing. Needless to say I am getting conflicting results. More than likely a company like cortex racing would have some good answers on the set up.
I watched a YouTube video on a race team that had rented a windtunnel in Canada. The price was crazy something like $20,000 for an hour. Obviously that is to pricing or most anyone.
Very cool video, thanks for posting that...

Yeah I've been thinking about doing this for a couple years, just never pulled the trigger. I'll map out my test plans once I get the wing as I want to gain significant downforce and figure I might have to try a couple styles to get what I'm looking for

Finished cutting the lower canards tonight... all painted up too. Tomorrow's project is to shape them a bit then attach. Should have some pics in the morning

Don't think I'll get my car into a wind tunnel, although that would be pretty awesome! Home-brew testing will have to do. And of course I immediately want to go back to Limerock with my BFG R1's and see if any of this stuff actually helps lap times.

I have a feeling if it does add significant downforce, I'm going to start hitting the bump stops as the car will compress a decent amount. Going to need stiffer springs soon and new dampers...

Jumped back on the slippery slope after standing next to it for about a year now! At least the canard project is costing about $12
Old 7/22/16, 08:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Very cool video, thanks for posting that...

Yeah I've been thinking about doing this for a couple years, just never pulled the trigger. I'll map out my test plans once I get the wing as I want to gain significant downforce and figure I might have to try a couple styles to get what I'm looking for

Finished cutting the lower canards tonight... all painted up too. Tomorrow's project is to shape them a bit then attach. Should have some pics in the morning

Don't think I'll get my car into a wind tunnel, although that would be pretty awesome! Home-brew testing will have to do. And of course I immediately want to go back to Limerock with my BFG R1's and see if any of this stuff actually helps lap times.

I have a feeling if it does add significant downforce, I'm going to start hitting the bump stops as the car will compress a decent amount. Going to need stiffer springs soon and new dampers...

Jumped back on the slippery slope after standing next to it for about a year now! At least the canard project is costing about $12
Especially on the uphill
Old 7/23/16, 06:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ford20
Especially on the uphill
Yup, downhill too... I enter the uphill at about 88 indicated and downhill at 101 indicated, so I'm hoping those speeds will go up a decent amount, but it's also plenty quick to potentially have significant suspension compression with aero loading.

Another 2 weeks till the wing arrives... Looks like I need to find a sept LRP event!
Old 7/23/16, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Man, you are on the slippery slope that leads to full blown race car, and I love it. Next up, stripping interior and cage?
Old 7/23/16, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

What is the brand and what is the size? Fiberglass or carbon fiber?
Old 7/23/16, 10:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Canards are done!

Old 7/23/16, 11:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SplitSecond
Man, you are on the slippery slope that leads to full blown race car, and I love it. Next up, stripping interior and cage?
I'm debating ceasing registration and putting some money and time into it. Not sure yet. Already have roll bar, but it's just 4-pt.

Accusump is a must soon to prevent oil starvation with aero....
The following users liked this post:
SGwick (7/23/16)
Old 7/23/16, 11:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by redonblackpony
What is the brand and what is the size? Fiberglass or carbon fiber?
Actually aluminum. Cost was lower. Not a big name brand, have to check to see the actual manufacturer. If I don't like this one, I didn't spend much and I'll use the mounting brackets and form my own from CF this winter. Projects
Old 7/23/16, 11:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

I learn something everyday :-)
Old 7/23/16, 11:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SGwick
I learn something everyday :-)
These engines seem fine at 1.3 g's sustained, but get up by 1.5 and I saw a friend put a hole in his block last year at Watkins Glen. I've touched 1.45g's in a compression uphill corner, so 1.5 is attainable on R1's or R7's I expect.
Old 7/23/16, 12:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yup, downhill too... I enter the uphill at about 88 indicated and downhill at 101 indicated, so I'm hoping those speeds will go up a decent amount, but it's also plenty quick to potentially have significant suspension compression with aero loading.

Another 2 weeks till the wing arrives... Looks like I need to find a sept LRP event!
I would hope you will be able to hit it harder then you did before. When you get to the crest of the uphill I watched someone spin the car and I have no idea how he missed the wall right there so hopefully the aero will help keep you glued to the track right there as well.

I'm debating ceasing registration and putting some money and time into it. Not sure yet. Already have roll bar, but it's just 4-pt.

Accusump is next on my list for sure. I just have to figure out where to mount it under the hood.
Old 7/23/16, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Nice, I like the canards! Is the rear wing going to be adjustable angle? Aero (unless it's active) is a double edge sward. On one hand you'll be able to corner harder at 100+, but on the other your acceleration at 100+ will suffer.

So depending on the track you may see mixed results, unless you tune your setup at the track. What is your plan for balancing this?

P.S. My company is working on an upcoming project for an oem which has active aero. The performance gains are phenomenal.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 7/23/16 at 02:44 PM.
Old 7/23/16, 03:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Nice, I like the canards! Is the rear wing going to be adjustable angle? Aero (unless it's active) is a double edge sward. On one hand you'll be able to corner harder at 100+, but on the other your acceleration at 100+ will suffer.

So depending on the track you may see mixed results, unless you tune your setup at the track. What is your plan for balancing this?

P.S. My company is working on an upcoming project for an oem which has active aero. The performance gains are phenomenal.
Yes, adjustable. And I'm mounting so that I can completely remove if needed. But that extra drag is nothing a little more power can't fix 😋

I'll be itching to get out to a couple of the tracks I know well to experiment!

The active aero sounds awesome. I've been thinking of how I could set up 2 small pneumatic actuators on my wing and make it 2 position at least, max downforce and min so I could flip it for the straight, or even better link up with a GPS so I can pre-program where on a track to switch... Would be a very cool setup if I ever decide to take that on!

Anyways, simple setup for now. And I like the look if the canards too!
The following users liked this post:
SGwick (7/24/16)

Quick Reply: Aero time!