General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Am I taken for a ride? Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/16, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Am I taken for a ride? Transmission issue

Man, been a long time since I've been on here.

My 2006 GT with 106k miles on it started to act up. The shifting points were slow. High RPMs under quick acceleration. Ruled out computer, tune, and fluid.

Took it to a place that seems fairly reputable around here that specializes in transmissions. They took it apart and found that the Overdrive assembly was about to "explode." Said something was about 70% worn through. Said he's never seen one so bad before, and asked if I was constantly driving it hard. Which an example he gave was by taking it to the drag strip every weekend. Nope. Nothing like that.

The guy talked a lot about what they would need to do to fix it. Sounded like a complete rebuild with a lot of new parts. The total is going to be $4100. That was for the Top of the Line rebuild. The lower end rebuild would still be $3600.

Now, I don't know much about repair, and I'm sure a lot of this is labor, but could I get an OEM transmission and all installed for less than that? Really wish I was more familiar with parts and how much they should cost, and how long they should take to install. He did say that it all comes with a 3 year warranty, and a lot of the new parts are supposed to be better than the OEM ones.

But I'm a graphic/web designer. And I can do things really well, really quick. So when we charge our clients, we charge a premium for our services. Sure they can go somewhere else, but it will take much longer, and still not be as good of work. I'm guessing this is what they're doing here. Because they said they can have me going in a day.
Old 4/28/16, 06:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I feel like a junkyard tranny installed will be less. Like, a lot less. Really depends on the exact scope of the work.

Ask how much to install a new (junkyard sourced) gearbox will cost...
Old 4/29/16, 04:47 AM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think it all depthe nods on what he is installing. Is he putting in all high end parts or used parts. When I had my tranny rebuilt on my Ford diesel van many years ago, it cost me 2500.00 dollars
Old 4/29/16, 09:08 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
I have to ask about your Mustang's overall condition. Before spending $4,000 on a 10 year old car with over 100k miles I would hope it is in very good shape with no other pressing issues, like a bad a/c, poor exterior/interior, so-so tires, etc.... If there are needs or issues it would probably not be wise to invest that $4k into the car. Nothing worse than throwing even more thousands and thousands into an older car where you get NONE of it back. If you love your car, and it's in good shape, with plans on keeping it for years, get it done right and spend the $$. Best of luck!
Old 4/29/16, 04:10 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
A few years ago my DD '01 SN95 hit the 250,000 mile mark and the engine and transmission were starting to show it. A rebuilt 3.8 six would have cost me around $2,500.00. I got an '04 3.8 with 52,000 miles on it from LKQ [ a major salvage yard chain ] for $550.00 with a six month warranty. I've got 360,000 miles on the car now and it's still going strong except for the 2nd. gear synchro. I think you may want to look into this. Also there are other sources for rebuilt transmissions with warranties. Good luck.
Old 5/3/16, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
So I got the car back today. $4300. I had them change the spark plugs too while they were in there. Something I've been dreading with the two piece design. I bought the car used, with 900 miles on it back in 2007. I am 99.5% sure no one since I've owned the car has touched the spark plugs. They told me that only one was a ***** to get out, and it was an autolight spark plug. So one was different than the others.

But the car is in great shape. I take care of it. Interior and exterior. Have had people ask me what year it is, and when I say '06, their response is always "And it still looks this good?" Yeah it does when you take care of your stuff. So for me, I have no desire to get a new vehicle. It's still fun to drive. And $4000 to keep it running another 100k miles seems cheap enough.

So today I get the car back, and it's not 100%. The high RPM's between shifts is gone. But it sounds a little whinny. They used high end parts, so maybe things are a little tighter, and needs a break-in period? But the one thing that I don't like is that the shift points feel a little sluggish. Almost like stock. I've done a CAI and tune on it, and everything was snappy. Barking the tires all the way up to 4th. Today, while I took it easy, it didn't feel like it would bark the tires at all. Just a gentle slip into the next gear. A little sluggish, and the shifting points for 1-3 seemed to come a little late.

Question now is. With the higher end parts, could something be different with the gears, and a new tune may be needed? Does it need to be broken in before I make any judgements? Or did they somehow screw it up?

I just want my baby back like how it was.
Old 5/8/16, 07:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by woody24
So I got the car back today. $4300. I had them change the spark plugs too while they were in there. Something I've been dreading with the two piece design. I bought the car used, with 900 miles on it back in 2007. I am 99.5% sure no one since I've owned the car has touched the spark plugs. They told me that only one was a ***** to get out, and it was an autolight spark plug. So one was different than the others.

But the car is in great shape. I take care of it. Interior and exterior. Have had people ask me what year it is, and when I say '06, their response is always "And it still looks this good?" Yeah it does when you take care of your stuff. So for me, I have no desire to get a new vehicle. It's still fun to drive. And $4000 to keep it running another 100k miles seems cheap enough.

So today I get the car back, and it's not 100%. The high RPM's between shifts is gone. But it sounds a little whinny. They used high end parts, so maybe things are a little tighter, and needs a break-in period? But the one thing that I don't like is that the shift points feel a little sluggish. Almost like stock. I've done a CAI and tune on it, and everything was snappy. Barking the tires all the way up to 4th. Today, while I took it easy, it didn't feel like it would bark the tires at all. Just a gentle slip into the next gear. A little sluggish, and the shifting points for 1-3 seemed to come a little late.

Question now is. With the higher end parts, could something be different with the gears, and a new tune may be needed? Does it need to be broken in before I make any judgements? Or did they somehow screw it up?

I just want my baby back like how it was.

Not entirely sure about the tune part, but you may need to contact who ever did the tune in the first place and have them rewrite it to account for the new part(s) that were installed, any thing that is "new" needs a small brake in period. but the best place to ask that type of question is the place that did the work.