Custom Vanity Personalized License Plates & Brackets /Delete Brackets Threads Over The Years With Members Custom Plates

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 11/7/14, 06:02 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Front License Plate

So the state I'm from require a front license plate but I've found kits to hide the license plate under the bumper and you can pull it out when you need to display it. However, I'm worried about the holes the plate bracket would leave when I remove it to mount it under the bumper. Anyone have any experience covering up/filling these holes and how well that worked so that you can't seem them? I don't want to replace the entire bumper but I also don't want the holes to look like crap either. At that point I may as well just leave the bracket on.
Old 11/7/14, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the original license plate bracket upside down and zip tied it to grill. I had to do some grinding and drilling to the bracket.
Old 11/7/14, 06:51 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
in my case too, the dealers had drilled before i purchased. for this same reason, i did a viynl strip to go over it and it hid the part real well.
Old 11/7/14, 07:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I got the Stow n Show off amazon...

I can't say I'm thrilled with it. When the plate is up, it's very flimsy, so I used a small strip of double sided Velcro to keep it sturdy. I figure I'm always going to have it up anyways. I drilled two holes into the factory chin spoiler and one in the lower pan that covers the underside of the engine. It's not too bad, you'd never even see them if I remove the bracket. There's just no good mounting spot for the large bracket though.

I'm going to get a Roush chin eventually. I might try something else out when I get it. For now, this works and looks okay I guess.
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate-image-2836962300.jpg  
Old 11/7/14, 08:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I told my dealer he was NOT to drill holes and he listened. I folded over the top and bottom edges of my plate and mounted it to the lower grill. It never touches any painted parts and is bolted in so is very stable. It has never caused any cooling problems.

Last edited by tukatz; 11/7/14 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11/7/14, 10:29 AM

Howdy. I posted this a while back on the solution I came up with and IMO I think this is the cheapest and best solution. It never came off and when I removed it after I moved and 10k miles it didn't cause any damage.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...holder-529322/
Old 11/9/14, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I did something similar to what tukatz posted.

I folded my plate at the bottom and trimmed just a bit off the top. Then I extended the holes from the top of the plate. This allows you to use a nut/bolt/washer set up to attach the plate to the lower grille's honeycomb.

I have a friend who is a local chief of police, and he said this set up should never cause a problem with an officer because the tag number and the state are displayed (so, when you bend the tag you want to eliminate the state's motto- not the state name).

Easy fix, and I think it looks far better than mounting it on the huge factory bumper mount.
Old 12/4/14, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Varilux
I did something similar to what tukatz posted.

Easy fix, and I think it looks far better than mounting it on the huge factory bumper mount.

I made a mount similar to this and put our front plate down low like this. It makes the car look lower IMO
Old 12/4/14, 09:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm glad to see that others have taken an approach similar to mine. I looked at our law and it said you can't 'disfigure' your plate. I'm sure they were thinking of people making a 3 look like an 8, but I did not want to take a chance on some bozo interpreting that to mean I could not cut off part of my plate.
In any event, I feel that it looks pretty cool. I also was told that lasers are aimed at front plates and those that are not perpendicular to the roadway make getting an accurate reading more difficult. Not that I would ever speed.
Old 12/4/14, 10:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
I also was told that lasers are aimed at front plates and those that are not perpendicular to the roadway make getting an accurate reading more difficult. Not that I would ever speed.
Awww how unfortunate...
Old 12/4/14, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't have the front plate on my car, it looks awful. I just keep it in the trunk.
Old 12/4/14, 11:42 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,089 Likes on 789 Posts
This is the one that I decided to go with. Minimal drilling, all hidden. When plate is removed you will not even know it was there. Great product.

http://www.bigmikesperformanceparts.com/

Here is a couple shots with it on and off.
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate-img_2522s.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 12/5/14, 12:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
This is the one that I decided to go with. Minimal drilling, all hidden. When plate is removed you will not even know it was there. Great product. http://www.bigmikesperformanceparts.com/ Here is a couple shots with it on and off.
Steve do you have a pic of it on, but folded down?
Old 12/5/14, 07:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CiniZter
in my case too, the dealers had drilled before i purchased. for this same reason, i did a viynl strip to go over it and it hid the part real well.
That is a sharp picture of your Mustang against that colourful background. Really wakes a guy up in the morning.
Old 12/5/14, 07:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been using the Craig's bracket that bolts to the lower grill opening and couldn't be happier. It comes off fast for shows, doesn't attach to the bumper skin, and has held up to speeds over 155 MPH max and 120 for more than 20 minute intervals on the autobahn without issues. It has little rubber nubs on the back so that it pushes against the bumper at speed. It's easy to get behind when you are washing the car as well. I'm not a fan of attaching the actual plate in front of the lower grill because it blocks a lot of airflow. For me that's important. When I finally retire next year and move back to SC I won't have to worry about it anymore and it will be for sale.

Mistress by steveinfante, on Flickr

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 12/5/14 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12/6/14, 02:13 PM
GT Member

My solution: Pick up a 2006 F-150 license plate bracket from Ford ($8.00) loosen your front splitter, insert the lower tabs of the bracket between splitter and your bumper, tighten splitter bolts. Take two black zip ties and fasten through the center of the plate bracket to your lower grill, tension them just enough so there is .020 to .030 gap between the plate bracket top and your paint. The plate bracket tends to push away from the grill, mine has never touched my paint in 2 years of use. It looks like it was meant to be there! The result:

Name:  mustangplate006_zps8433f90e.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  71.5 KB

Last edited by BOSS MAN 13; 12/6/14 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12/12/14, 09:05 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,089 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Steve do you have a pic of it on, but folded down?
This one does not actually fold. It has a small spring pin that you pull and the plate bracket slides off. Very easy on and off. I will get a pic of the part that comes off and post it soon.
Old 12/12/14, 09:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
This one does not actually fold. It has a small spring pin that you pull and the plate bracket slides off. Very easy on and off. I will get a pic of the part that comes off and post it soon.
I see. Do they make one that folds? Mine folds, but I keep it up like 99% of the time.
Old 12/13/14, 06:43 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
Here in MA if you are lucky enough to have an old green plate you are grandfathered in and only have to have your rear plate. If you turn it in you're screwed and when you get the new plate at some point you need both. People around here do whatever they can to make sure their green plates stay in good shape. My buddy won't give his up. I on the other hand have two plates. Never had a green one so I have both. But my feeling is it is what it is so drill baby drill. I have it where it belongs and as long as the bracket and plate are clean looking I'm ok with a plate on the front bumper.

Last edited by VidPro; 12/13/14 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12/13/14, 08:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I use the retractable license bracket from AmericanMuscle.com. Bolts underneath the front bumper into the black aero pan (not any painted surfaces) and easily slides under the car when I want it hidden. Here's pics of it up and retracted....

Name:  photo_zps9b8d6b0c.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  2.89 MB

Name:  E4596A03-8CB4-4B60-B11E-E5FB69E78CA7_zpscu6qrfh0.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  2.54 MB

Quick Reply: Front License Plate