Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rear suspension creak

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/13, 08:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear suspension creak

Any time I go over a decent speed bump my rear suspension creaks. Does this happen to anyone else?

I dropped my car off at the dealer and they said they took out a few other mustangs and it produced the same exact sound in the rear. They said the creak is a characteristic of the car.

I don't care I guess. It's a bit ghetto, but my main concern is suspension wear/tear.
Old 2/8/13, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I had a high pitched squeak (almost sounded like a chirp) and it turned out to be the rear sway bar bushing.
Old 2/8/13, 01:43 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Rando
Any time I go over a decent speed bump my rear suspension creaks. Does this happen to anyone else?

I dropped my car off at the dealer and they said they took out a few other mustangs and it produced the same exact sound in the rear. They said the creak is a characteristic of the car.

I don't care I guess. It's a bit ghetto, but my main concern is suspension wear/tear.
Hey Rando,

Let me get this escalated to the customer service manager of your area. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 2/10/13, 09:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rando

I have a creaking rear suspension also but mine seems to do it mainly when its cold outside, never the less I'm having my dealership look at it tomorrow.
Old 2/11/13, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by TORMENTOR
I have a creaking rear suspension also but mine seems to do it mainly when its cold outside, never the less I'm having my dealership look at it tomorrow.
I received your PM, TORMENTOR. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 2/13/13, 03:40 PM
GT Member

My car was in the shop for the rear creaking suspension and it turns out that its not the suspension. The weather strip around the trunk is what the noise is from. They put a coating of silicone sray on the weather stip and the noise is gone for now.
They said its because the trunk lid flex's when going over dips in the road or railroad tracks making it rub against the weather strip. I was like come on are you kidding me? He actualy took the decklid and moved it back and forth and I could hear the noise.
He also said that once it warms up should quit down on its own but if it still does it he will try a heavier lube if needed, he just didnt want to get it all greased up.

I hope this is the same issue you are having
Old 2/14/13, 06:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Haha, that actually sounds like it could be the issue. I'll check it out when I get some free time.
Thanks!
Old 2/14/13, 12:02 PM
GT Member

Yup, totally agree it's probably not the suspension bushings etc. (said so in another thread here about this creak). I also noticed that when you press down on the big plastic piece at the front of the trunk (part with lamp in it, with only two crap plastic things holding it down) the creak sounds *exactly* like the one I get during driving.

All sorts of the Mustang weatherstripping makes horrible creaky noises when a bit wet especially when newish. Not temp-related here, but definitely somehow moisture-related. That's why I thought this wasn't a big deal and didn't take the car in for it, it's only annoying. e.g. my driver door rubber makes this noise for a few days after it rains, presume it'll go away once I start driving the car regularly (spring) and all "manufacturing compounds" get washed away (it's >4 months old with only ~400 miles).

Not trying to be a smartass, only helpful in the sense that you guys could also help me out about it and why I originally mentioned it lol.

Last edited by cfraser; 2/14/13 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11/7/13, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm having the same issue and identified this same area as a potential source of the noise by pulling on it, which produced the same sound. I have a ton of foam tape leftover when I was fixing my 07 S2000 (rattled like crazy) and put some behind these plastic pieces where they contact the rear lower trunk seal. Totally fixed the problem at this area, but the sound still exists when I drive.

I even popped the trunk before driving over bumps to see if the lid could be the issue, but I still experienced the same sound - like two rubber balloons rubbing against each other. Maybe I need to fully open the trunk and try driving up a driveway to see if simply popping the lid open was enough to take it out of the equation. Making me crazy.

Originally Posted by cfraser
Yup, totally agree it's probably not the suspension bushings etc. (said so in another thread here about this creak). I also noticed that when you press down on the big plastic piece at the front of the trunk (part with lamp in it, with only two crap plastic things holding it down) the creak sounds *exactly* like the one I get during driving.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 11/7/13 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11/7/13, 05:30 PM
GT Member

I had a creaking back end (go to 38s for most obvious one):

The fix for mine was replacing both rear sway bar links
Old 11/7/13, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Ayayay I hope Ford will honor what's left of the warranty after I modded my suspension. I guess those endlinks are inexpensive enough. Might try steeda's heavy duty ones.
Old 11/8/13, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by fdesalvo
I'm having the same issue and identified this same area as a potential source of the noise by pulling on it, which produced the same sound. I have a ton of foam tape leftover when I was fixing my 07 S2000 (rattled like crazy) and put some behind these plastic pieces where they contact the rear lower trunk seal. Totally fixed the problem at this area, but the sound still exists when I drive....
I also recommend you bring it in to your dealer as well, fdesalvo. Let me escalate this for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 11/11/13 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11/8/13, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordService
I also recommend you bring it in to your dealer as well, fdesalvo. Let me escalate this as well for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Will do, Deysha - thank you.
Old 11/11/13, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by fdesalvo
Will do, Deysha - thank you.
You're welcome, fdesalvo!

Deysha
Old 2/26/14, 01:10 AM

Deysha,

I hope you can assist me. I've brought my 2013 Mustang GT Conv in 6 or 7 times to my Ford dealer to get the high pitched squeak coming from the rear passenger side of my car fixed. They acknowledge having heard the noise but say they can not pinpoint where its coming from.

The noise is very temperamental. Its present during poor driving conditions on rough roads, going over small bumps, when the car loses traction or when its snowing / raining.

It can be very loud and often scares anyone that has not heard it before.

This has been a problem since I've purchased the vehicle new.

What can I do?

Last edited by mikesnickname; 2/26/14 at 02:10 AM.
Old 2/26/14, 01:10 AM

Deysha,

I hope you can assist me. I've brought my 2013 Mustang GT Conv in 6 or 7 times to my Ford dealer to get the high pitched squeak coming from the rear passenger side of my car fixed. They acknowledge having heard the noise but say they can not pinpoint where its coming from.

The noise is very temperamental. Its present during poor driving conditions on rough roads, going over small bumps, when the car loses traction or when its snowing / raining.

What can I do?

Last edited by mikesnickname; 2/26/14 at 02:10 AM.
Old 2/26/14, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by mikesnickname
Deysha,

What can I do?
Welcome to the forum, mikesnickname! I’m happy to get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 10/2/14, 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

This actually has happened on mine. I took it to the dealer as the read diff had to have the seal replaced. I also told them about the rear squeak and they inspected it and said everything look find. Of course they couldn't replicate the sound (expected), but I'm sure I'll hear it again. If so they said to take it back...
Old 10/3/14, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I had that to I live where its cold but I fixed it by removing the trim and tail lights on my car (Had to replace a tail light.) and when I put it back together no more creaks.
Old 6/1/15, 07:14 PM

Hey Tormentor
where exactly was the spray applied, like on top of the strip or around it? My 2013 mustang also creaks and I'm trying different things out to see if anything would work.

Quick Reply: Rear suspension creak