Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Stock Standard Stereo to Shaker 500 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/12, 11:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes MustangFan - if you have a premium steering wheel (or BOSS 302 or GT500) it will work like a champ as described. Only thing lose is the Aux. The center plug on the back of the Shaker probably controls that function but the plug not there on the base units. PM me is you have any questions. For the cost, it is a pretty good option.
Old 5/11/12, 07:39 PM
GT Member

So I went to Ford service today and told them what I had done(swapping out the base for a Shaker500). The old tech told me he would have done the exact same thing.
I explained the AUX problem and he called his contact at Ford. He said the computer would need a reprogram to get the AUX working and Ford won't do it.
The guy on the phone also told the tech that the satellite wouldn't work, which is totally incorrect.
So, you gain wheel controls, a satellite radio and some power but lose AUX. I think it is worth it.
Old 5/19/12, 11:08 AM

Curious...

Ok, Im trying to figure out this similar situation .. I just traded in My 11GT on a 13 Boss.. It has the base stereo / Sync / the aux plug and USB plug in the console.. when I hit the Sirius button it just says No Satellite Radio on the screen.. So Im wondering -- will swapping out a Shaker 500 from the other GT work? My windowsticker says the stereo is Satellite capable.. can I just get it turned on in this unit..? Ive tried talking to several different dealerships on this one and so far the only answers I get is to replace the stereo with aftermarket or one of those FM antenna deals.. I find this hard to believe..

I just know I need to do something -- Its pretty hilarious.. Im driving this Boss around and cant even hear the **** stereo over the sweet sound of my exhaust -- when I turn it up loud enough to .. its all distorted lol... ><
Old 5/21/12, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Yellowpony, I'm pretty certain the Boss' base stereo should be compatable with any '10+ Shaker Head Unit. My base '11 also said Sirius capable but did not function. When I switched the base head unit out for a Shaker 500, Sirius was there (just needed to subscribe - had a 6 month free service offer which I activated.) and with 6 CDs. I did lose the Aux so no telling if if your aux plug and/or USB will work. It is a trade off. You will need to buy a $10 satellite antenna which is easy to run under the molding to the trunk.
Old 5/22/12, 02:32 PM
GT Member

Or you can just run it up to the center dash and use 3M like this.
Attached Thumbnails Stock Standard Stereo to Shaker 500 Upgrade-image-3239071498.jpg  
Old 5/22/12, 02:39 PM

Oddly enough, I had to do some errand running this morning and ended up out where my "old" Ford dealership was, I dealt with these guys over 15 years and 5 Mustangs, so I know them pretty well and they've always done me good..

Took them all of 5 minutes to give me a quote on reprogramming my ACM and labor for install of the "factory" OEM Antenna and harness' and module and 6 months free subscription for $400 Which from all of my explored options, time / money / appearance and retaining all of my cars functionality.. Seems like the route I might go.. And then to adress to sound volume and quality I found an interesting kit on the Shelby website.. a Kicker package that replaces all the stock speakers, adds the subwoofer in the trunk and an amp.. and its plug and play.. lol

Decisions Decisions Decisions ><
Old 5/22/12, 04:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Your car, your call Yellow. In my case, I upgraded from the plastic pos steering wheel to the GT500 wheel and wanted the buttons to work. The head unit was a whopping $125 + $10 for the antenna. Getting in the console and dash is a 20 minute prospect if you never did it (5 if you have). Glad you have money to burn because that Shelby Kicker Package is a pretty penny.
Old 5/23/12, 06:38 PM
GT Member

where did you find a head in unit for $125 dollars?
Old 5/23/12, 11:14 PM
Bullitt Member

eBay - same place Laroh found his. You can also check with audio shops that may have done aftermarket installs on Mustangs. One guy on this site sold his for $100 but I was too late to pick it up and resell it LOL!
Old 5/24/12, 10:49 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SterlingStangMan
eBay - same place Laroh found his. You can also check with audio shops that may have done aftermarket installs on Mustangs. One guy on this site sold his for $100 but I was too late to pick it up and resell it LOL!
I got mine off a junkyard parts place online.
Old 5/27/12, 09:14 AM
GT Member

will any shaker 500 work? or does it have to be out of a 2010-2012 model ? I have a 2011
Old 5/27/12, 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Hi Bud! Yes, must be from a '10+ Mustang. Earlier Mustang Head Units were not setup the same. Essentiall the Head Unit is a box with a connector to the faceplate where the buttons are. the earliers were integrated which won't fit in our cars. This is not meant to say that other Fords don't share the same Shaker setup. My bosses F150 seems to have the same faceplate set up so it is likely the same headunit. Just don't go earlier that '10 or to be safe, get one that came out of a '10+ Mustang.
Old 5/27/12, 07:29 PM
GT Member

thanks...i haven't been able to find one.
Old 6/3/12, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Just found 3 on ebay. Item number: 280848141021. It closes in one day and has a buy now about $265. You can bid if you like and see if he will accept something less. You really only need the head unit but he is selling the faceplate, controls, display and head unit. Just an option or you can wait to see if another come in cheaper.
Old 6/27/12, 09:13 PM
GT Member

I had my Ford dealer reprogram my Shaker to get the Aux button to work. I'm glad since I connect my Mp3 player to it. The steering wheels controls don't work now, but I'm happy.
Old 6/27/12, 11:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow Laroh! I kind of like having the wheel controls more than the MP3 but, your call. How much did they charge you?
Old 6/28/12, 11:28 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SterlingStangMan
Wow Laroh! I kind of like having the wheel controls more than the MP3 but, your call. How much did they charge you?
I did the install so they just charged me $135 for the reprogram. I'd like the wheel controls back but I knew the possibility of losing them going in.
Old 7/1/14, 04:21 PM

hi there,,, i just got a shaker 500 with the wheel,, everithin works except for the aux,, i also got the sync module with the usb cable,,, any body know how to get the sync conect without the original hardnes??
Old 7/13/14, 03:23 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Julio Sanchez Collazo
hi there,,, i just got a shaker 500 with the wheel,, everithin works except for the aux,, i also got the sync module with the usb cable,,, any body know how to get the sync conect without the original hardnes??
It will be very hard to add sync with out the harness. The best way to do it is to buy a add on sync kit for the 09. And use the harness out of it. You will have to add pins to the steering wheel and run them back to the sync module. What year are you putting it in, and what year did you get the module and the steering wheel from. That will make a difference. The 10-12 sync modules will work with the add on harness with no issues. If you are using a module out of a 13 or newer you will need to re pin the harness for the mic and the buttons. And if the wheel buttons are 10-12 you will have to get 13 buttons. Because the resistance is different making the module not read the inputs. I still have not got my 13 buttons yet so I cannot confirm that that will solve the button issue
Old 10/29/14, 06:12 PM

Hello everyone, newbie here. Silverhorseracing, how did you make out installing the factory amps and wiring to the shaker 500. I am also changing the base to a Shaker. Ive installed a new head unit and purchased the GT door panels and sub amps. The sub amps bolt right up, but after that< I am kind of lost. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Parry

Quick Reply: Stock Standard Stereo to Shaker 500 Upgrade