Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

My front speaker swap review

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/12, 03:20 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My front speaker swap review

First step to upgrading my base 4 speaker system was new front speakers followed POSSIBLY by an amp to the front 2 and then a powered sub in the trunk.

I went with infinity kappa 6892cf

During instal I managed to put a huge scratch in my tint. My fault I know but $80 bucks for that fix plus $88 for the speakers and adapter puts me in at $168 total

Three things noticed after install in order from most noticeable to least.
1. Volume has to be turned up much higher to get the same volume out of it.
2. Base is much lower with these speakers
3. Maybe, MAYBE it sounds a little clearer with a little cleaner high end

Yes they are installed correct with correct polarity.

Worth it... No
I don't feel like adding an amp or sub now as I feel I will still be disappointed in the end.
If I could do it over I would of bought the infinity reference or the kicker speakers as those who have owned all 3 of these non amped say the reference and kickers have more base and are louder. I know going ahead and getting them amped will take the quietness away but then I still need a sub and I guess I just don't feel like finishing.
Just fixed my home entertainment sub so when I want to blast I will do it at home

What you should take away from this.
1. Don't get kappas if your not adding an amp,the reference from reviews are louder with more base and just as clear.
2. Roll down your window before removing plastic piece that goes over the door lock, otherwise it's a screwdriver to the tint
Old 10/30/12, 08:10 PM

My infinity kappas 682.9CF arrived yesterday, now your comment shock me..

Do you have Shaker Pro Audio?
Old 10/30/12, 10:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Subiaur
My infinity kappas 682.9CF arrived yesterday, now your comment shock me..

Do you have Shaker Pro Audio?
No just base, if your system has an amp to the speakers I bet it will be a good upgrade
Old 10/30/12, 11:48 PM
GT Member

Yes it will be great with a amp. I have a set of kicker speakers (95 RMS watts) in the rear powered by a Sony amp and they bump the car they even rattle the car a little. So then i added a set of 12s in the back as well but that's a different story.
Old 10/31/12, 04:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost.223
First step to upgrading my base 4 speaker system was new front speakers followed POSSIBLY by an amp to the front 2 and then a powered sub in the trunk.

I went with infinity kappa 6892cf

During instal I managed to put a huge scratch in my tint. My fault I know but $80 bucks for that fix plus $88 for the speakers and adapter puts me in at $168 total

Three things noticed after install in order from most noticeable to least.
1. Volume has to be turned up much higher to get the same volume out of it.
2. Base is much lower with these speakers
3. Maybe, MAYBE it sounds a little clearer with a little cleaner high end

Yes they are installed correct with correct polarity.

Worth it... No
I don't feel like adding an amp or sub now as I feel I will still be disappointed in the end.
If I could do it over I would of bought the infinity reference or the kicker speakers as those who have owned all 3 of these non amped say the reference and kickers have more base and are louder. I know going ahead and getting them amped will take the quietness away but then I still need a sub and I guess I just don't feel like finishing.
Just fixed my home entertainment sub so when I want to blast I will do it at home

What you should take away from this.
1. Don't get kappas if your not adding an amp,the reference from reviews are louder with more base and just as clear.
2. Roll down your window before removing plastic piece that goes over the door lock, otherwise it's a screwdriver to the tint
Did you use the metra speaker adapter harness? I've seen one report were the wires are backwards, and what you've reported (lower volume) is a result of the backwards hookup. You shouldn't need an amp to get decent sound out of the speakers.
Old 10/31/12, 11:31 AM

I also ordered the metra speaker harness how can I check the correct polarity??
Old 10/31/12, 11:34 AM
GT Member

Yep the metra are reversed. Just cut the ends off and reverse the hook up.

It's not bad sound just not the upgrade I thought it would be
Old 10/31/12, 11:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Subiaur
I also ordered the metra speaker harness how can I check the correct polarity??
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6180818AAoUSJO
Old 10/31/12, 11:52 AM
Cobra Member

Yep the metra are reversed. Just cut the ends off and reverse the hook up.

It's not bad sound just not the upgrade I thought it would be
I have a base system as well, and I'm going to be installing some Kenwood KFC-C-6894PS (240W 3-way) this weekend, along with a Kenwood KFC-X996 head unit.

I'll try the new speakers with the old head unit before replacing the head unit. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 10/31/12, 06:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
I have a base system as well, and I'm going to be installing some Kenwood KFC-C-6894PS (240W 3-way) this weekend, along with a Kenwood KFC-X996 head unit.

I'll try the new speakers with the old head unit before replacing the head unit. I'll let you know what happens.
Which head unit unit front cover ( don't know what it's actually called) are you going with to replace the oem controls?
Old 11/1/12, 04:15 AM
Cobra Member

Which head unit unit front cover ( don't know what it's actually called) are you going with to replace the oem controls?
I got the Scosche.

The final components were delivered yesterday, so tonight, I solder wires on the head unit harness. I'm probably going to wait until this weekend to put the speakers in because I may have to modify the speaker harness adapters, but I don't want to just assume that I have to.

Do you know what Metra part number your speaker harnesses were? You had to mod yours, right?

I have the 72-5600's. I've seen mixed reports. One guy with a 2005 Mustang said he had to swap the connectors, while another guy with a 2010 didn't mention having to swap. I wonder if the requirement to mod the harness depends on what speakers you're hooking up...

Last edited by jsimmons; 11/1/12 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11/1/12, 05:21 AM
GT Member

If you're replacing the front and back speakers and using the metra harness on both sets, it won't make any difference. The reason you hear a difference when only connecting one set is the front and back speakers are 180 degrees out of phase with each other, thereby canceling each other out and reducing the relative sound pressure level. If both sets of speakers have positive and negative reversed due to the metra harness but are in phase with each other, it will sound fine. Yes, I'm aware phasing can make a difference in high-end sound systems, but you'd never hear it with just the factory power.

That's really weird about the metra harness. I wonder why they reverse them??? I used Scosche harnesses in mine.

And the Kappas are a definite improvement with the Shaker500. The highs are much more pronounced with more presence. I didn't notice any bass loss at all since the factory subs would overpower them anyway, and the volume actually seems a bit louder than stock. I guess the base system just doesn't have enough gonads to drive them.
Old 11/1/12, 06:41 AM
GT Member

Same metra 72-5600. It is weird but when you connect the harness you can see the positive and negative wires connect opposite from the factory harness. Somebody screwed that one up ha ha. Above is right though, if all your speakers are connected the same way you won't be able to tell the difference.
Old 11/1/12, 08:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012WhiteGT
If you're replacing the front and back speakers and using the metra harness on both sets, it won't make any difference. The reason you hear a difference when only connecting one set is the front and back speakers are 180 degrees out of phase with each other, thereby canceling each other out and reducing the relative sound pressure level. If both sets of speakers have positive and negative reversed due to the metra harness but are in phase with each other, it will sound fine. Yes, I'm aware phasing can make a difference in high-end sound systems, but you'd never hear it with just the factory power.
Whew! I'm replacing all four speakers. I don't really have a well-developed soldering gene, so this is good news. Now all I have to do is solder the 15 or so wires on the PAC harness.
Old 11/1/12, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Are you going to replace the rear speakers?
Old 11/1/12, 12:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BackinBlack13

Oops - I assumed you were talking to me.
Old 11/1/12, 01:06 PM
GT Member

If this is for me, nope. Playing with it today I found the best sound was with base: one level down from max, treble: two up from middle and fade: fully to the front basically turning the rear speakers off.
Old 11/1/12, 03:19 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also have the shaker system - I noticed better sound quality, less muddiness. I can actually turn the bass up a bit. Car shakes when I want it to, and the sound is much improved. Base system might need a sub or an amp...

give it a few weeks to "break in" the speaker before you give your final opinion. Mine sound better today then when I stalled them a few months ago.
Old 11/1/12, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

along with a Kenwood KFC-X996 head unit.

Oops - I assumed you were talking to me.
Sorry that was for Ghost. I'll check back here to see what you think of the new head unit amp with the new speakers.
Old 11/3/12, 04:39 AM
Cobra Member

Sorry that was for Ghost. I'll check back here to see what you think of the new head unit amp with the new speakers.
I tried going to your build journal link, and the page doesn't exist.

Quick Reply: My front speaker swap review