Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss Side Pipes and H Pipe mods?

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/15, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boss Side Pipes and H Pipe mods?

Hey Mustang owners,

So I have a question about my exhaust set up. I currently have a 2014 GT with a 6 speed. I'l have the GT500 single tip axle backs with the resonators cut out by an exhaust shop.

My boss side exhaust is going to be installed in a months time and I will run it as-is for a few weeks.
But everytime I hear my friends GT with Roush axle back, or the Flowmaster outlaws they always sound more aggressive and a much deeper tone.

Besides the usual response of "get a full catback" or "get a new axleback" are they're any mods I can do to my soon to be current setup? My friend says I can get a larger diameter aftermarket midpipe? Will that make a difference?

I know it goes: Engine -> headers -> cats -> Boss H pipe -> mid pipe -> axle backs.

I've already changed axle backs and H pipe with side pipes. I would really consider long tube headers as well.

Ghost cam tune or Track key coming this summer. Looking for that old school lopey muscle car sound
Old 4/26/15, 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
Hey Mustang owners,

So I have a question about my exhaust set up. I currently have a 2014 GT with a 6 speed. I'l have the GT500 single tip axle backs with the resonators cut out by an exhaust shop.

My boss side exhaust is going to be installed in a months time and I will run it as-is for a few weeks.
But everytime I hear my friends GT with Roush axle back, or the Flowmaster outlaws they always sound more aggressive and a much deeper tone.

Besides the usual response of "get a full catback" or "get a new axleback" are they're any mods I can do to my soon to be current setup? My friend says I can get a larger diameter aftermarket midpipe? Will that make a difference?

I know it goes: Engine -> headers -> cats -> Boss H pipe -> mid pipe -> axle backs.

I've already changed axle backs and H pipe with side pipes. I would really consider long tube headers as well.

Ghost cam tune or Track key coming this summer. Looking for that old school lopey muscle car sound
You and I have discussed this same setup in multiple threads but just to put it together, I have the GT500s, the side pipes and the TracKey.

First, with the side pipes wide open it's certainly loud enough. Unless you're looking to really turn heads it's quite a bit louder than stock.

As for aggressiveness, I was surprised to find how much more aggressive it sounds with the TracKey tune.

I recommend putting this setup together before you plan other exhaust changes. You might be pleasantly surprised and then you can save the cash for go fast mods. I know that I'm certainly satisfied with the sound as is.

Edit: I should have mentioned that it's not just the lopey idle that makes it sound aggressive. It sounds more aggressive through the whole throttle band, even slightly off idle.

Last edited by berzerk_1980; 4/26/15 at 02:32 PM.
Old 4/26/15, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
You and I have discussed this same setup in multiple threads but just to put it together, I have the GT500s, the side pipes and the TracKey. First, with the side pipes wide open it's certainly loud enough. Unless you're looking to really turn heads it's quite a bit louder than stock. As for aggressiveness, I was surprised to find how much more aggressive it sounds with the TracKey tune. I recommend putting this setup together before you plan other exhaust changes. You might be pleasantly surprised and then you can save the cash for go fast mods. I know that I'm certainly satisfied with the sound as is. Edit: I should have mentioned that it's not just the lopey idle that makes it sound aggressive. It sounds more aggressive through the whole throttle band, even slightly off idle.
Thanks for that! Yeah I think the smartest thing is to wait until it's all installed, and give it some time. I'm sure I'll love it though!