Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Passenger Side Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/12, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Passenger Side Water Leak

An ongoing problem which I tried to have fixed at the dealer last spring. It leaked once after they worked on it, but then didn't for a while, and still does leak on certain kinds of rain storms. I cannot make it leak with a garden hose or high pressure spray aimed at the door/windows/windshield/cowl. I checked the cabin filter and that compartment, even ran water thru it to see that it drains out the bottom like it should.

We've had a lot of rain here the last few weeks. Last night it poured for hours. Small amount of water on the pass. carpet. So, I checked everything under the dash and the side panel where the electric junction box is. I am hoping someone can help me figure out what this is. See the first pic where I labeled everything. This is an overview. The antenna wire and the big harness & grommet on the lower left are dry. There is water, and feels wet, around that other harness pass-thru. This is above the junction box.

See the 2nd closeup pic. There is some kind of black-wrapped harness going thru an opening sealed with a lot of black stuff (tape?). I could feel with my finger at the top right a piece of plastic which doesn't seem to be fitting into an opening. It is visible in the pic.

What is this wire harness? Where does it go? What is behind that black seal square? Where would water come from if it is behind that black square? I do not think this is the grommet for the wire harness that goes into the door panel with the flexi tube - that one appears to be lower on the door pillar but maybe I'm wrong? After the wires come in the pillar do they curve up several inches to then come thru this opening into the car?

Whatever this opening is, it may be where the water is coming from. As you can see in the pic, directly below it is the j-box and the water comes out on the carpet below that j-box.

Oh, also, I have had at times a very bad problem with the inside windows fogging up when driving in rain, even if I didn't see water leaking on the carpet. Could this be related?
Attached Thumbnails Passenger Side Water Leak-5162.jpg   Passenger Side Water Leak-5167.jpg  

Last edited by Pony07; 3/3/12 at 08:25 PM. Reason: add info
Old 3/4/12, 12:50 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
did you check the drivers side- it clogged on mine and still flooded the passenger floor. heres a pic, the master cylinder is on the right if it dont look familiar...the water runs in thru the fan housing from the looks of it(maybe a opening inside the cowl?) and runs down onto the wire harness, follows the harness to the right side end of it, dripping down behind the passenger kick panel. weird thing is the water appeared to be entering a couple places between panel welds- guess however the cowl is constructed theres a gap somewhere?
if by chance you already cleaned out the drivers side, I'd look at the black plastic trim that goes around the door window frame- mine had weatherstripping 'oozing' out on both sides, I replaced it with single sided adhesive weatherstrip from the hardware store- looks like if theres a gap in the weatherstriping there, water might run along the trim and into the doorjamb sheetmetal about at the top of the dash...betting its just the cowl drains though.

Old 3/4/12, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I will have a look at that drivers side. And try spraying water on that side. i have only been concentrating water on the pass side. And the dealer did replace the pass side window weatherstrip - I had to pay well over $200. It did not change the water issue. I have repeatedly doused the pass door with water all around that weatherstrip and I get no water.
Old 3/4/12, 03:03 PM
legacy Tms Member

I think the wiring harness you pictured is the one that goes to the door for window/lock/speakers...feel the rubber duct in the door jamb while pushing on the harness, see if it moves. if its not that, then it must go up to the domelight?

if its leaking inside the doorjamb, might try spraying water along the top edge of the door/window trim near the roof and see if maybe thats it

edit- oops, I started typing this a minute or two after the first post, then spent a hour or two on the phone before finishing...wow 200 bucks for the weatherstripping, I only changed mine because it was squishing out above the mirrors on both sides, took about 20 minutes a side and hardware store stuff is like 10 bucks a roll...wouldnt have been so bad if the 200 woulda actually fixed it I bet. if you find the drivers side plugged up(just reach down there with a cold engine and pull it sideways- it pops right out) take a pic and show it to the dealer- perhaps they can return part of what you were billed for the repair that wasnt...

Last edited by ford4v429; 3/4/12 at 03:08 PM.
Old 3/6/12, 04:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Check the drain holes in the cabin air filter box - I had the same problem a few years ago and the dealer said that the drain holes had clogged up and water had backed up and come through the cabin air filter.
Old 3/6/12, 06:55 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by 05RedGT
Check the drain holes in the cabin air filter box - I had the same problem a few years ago and the dealer said that the drain holes had clogged up and water had backed up and come through the cabin air filter.
that picture I posted of the rubber thing IS the drain hole for the cabin air filter/cowl...theres another behind the passenger valvecover too- pull them out and clean once in a while, and then pop them back in...its much easier than taking the cowl cover off, and that wont give access to the drivers side anyways...
Old 3/7/12, 01:48 AM
Bullitt Member

What I did to test those drains was take the plastic cowl cover off (pass side) and point the hose at the windshield so that the water flows down and into the cowl. With the hood up I was able to watch it run thru that drain. I watched all around the black plastic filter box and was able to verify that the water was not sitting in or filling up in the cowl. I gave it a really good soaking and there was no visible leaking inside the car.
Old 3/7/12, 05:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's a link to the TSB on the leaks , it's #68 ...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...sb-list-5.html
Old 3/10/12, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have a 05 that dose the same thanks 4 the post
Old 3/10/12, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

So many 05-07 models have had this, they should have done a recall. I am disappointed with Ford for such a significant defect.
Old 3/11/12, 10:26 AM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Pony07
So many 05-07 models have had this, they should have done a recall. I am disappointed with Ford for such a significant defect.
I agree...Fords been slow to react to design issues... the breakoff plugs in the 05~08 4.6, the 'blow out' sparkplugs in the earlier 2V 4.6/5.4, the fuel venting on the early S197s, balljoint/strut bearings on the S197s and of course the water leaks... IMO they shoulda recalled most of these issues(but it woulda been $$$) or at a minimum, revised the parts/assemblyline procedures to eliminate them, as they obviously are design or miss-assembly problems, but instead quietly issued TSBs hoping the cars would get out of warranty...

on the leaks, the thing that really irks me is I still read of it on current models, when they shoulda nipped it in the bud halfway thru the 05 modelyear...theyre mostly great cars, but they have their quirks
Old 3/15/12, 09:42 PM

+1 fordv. Had the exact same problem. Reach inside that rubber door and pull out all the gunk clogging it. The water will pour out.
Old 8/9/12, 07:38 PM

Where is the rubber "door"? I'm so frustrated with ford and I just want to be able to clear it by myself and prevent it from happening again! Tired of paying the dealership $100-$200 every time it rains. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 8/11/12, 08:22 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Judie Laverdiere Berry
Where is the rubber "door"? I'm so frustrated with ford and I just want to be able to clear it by myself and prevent it from happening again! Tired of paying the dealership $100-$200 every time it rains. Any help would be appreciated.
If you've got a gt, it's a rubber rectangular plug hanging down just behind the valve covers. If you pull down- sideways they pop right out, kinda a pain to pop back in, but once you pull it out you'll see the groove that needs lined back up to pop it back in. The drivers side is kinda hard to see but not that bad. I've got pics in here somewhere of mine, will get some of the wife's v6 one of these days...

There is also weatherstripping under the black trim that goes over the doors- mine was kinda squeezing out above the mirrors and pretty sure some water was running in from there thru the a-pillar. If not sure, maybe just put some tape around and see if that helps, if not you know not to bother replacing that...
Old 8/11/13, 08:27 AM

leaks

My trouble is standing water in the back floor boards. Any suggestions?
Old 8/26/13, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kimz05
Try to unclog your drain holes on your hood,leaves an trash get in there,an it makes water overflow on your floorboard
Old 3/27/14, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kimz05
Hate to beat a dead pony.... but this is a problem that I am having with my '14 that has 1000 miles on it. Any resolution on this @Kimz05?
Old 3/27/14, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ageless1
Hate to beat a dead pony.... but this is a problem that I am having with my '14 that has 1000 miles on it. Any resolution on this @Kimz05?
Wow! Even current model have this problem still?? I thought they fixed it a long time ago. I wonder what they will do to the '15.
Old 3/27/14, 08:46 PM

IDK... I am deeply concerned. 2 MAJOR issues and I haven't even made my first payment on it.
Old 3/28/14, 05:05 PM
legacy Tms Member

Ageless- on the rear floor thing, one more flaw Ive found... get a small mirror and a flashlight, look behind the 'flap' that sticks out in front of each rear tire in the wheelwell... the backside seam where it meets the inner wheelhouse should be sealed and the top edge shouldnt have a opening.

about half the cars Ive seen 05-09 had this area unsealed on one or both sides...I noticed the spot when my 06 was brand new- I tore it apart to undercoat the whole thing- interior panels, fenders, bumpers...pulled them all off before the car had 300 miles on it. the problem with that flap is in the way they spray the sound deadener, if held at the wrong angle, the 'flap' blocks the spray, and its clean behind it- I could look thru the gaps between the inner/outer rocker/floor/wheelhouse...corrosion there would be a freaking nightmare to fix- and if unsealed *might* cause wet rear footwells.

kinda crazy a decade into it theres still these issues, and the hood underside edge blistering... someones dropped the ball at Ford for waaaay too long on this stuff, neither is rocket science

gotta say, aside from these utterly stupid factory screwups, these cars are about everything I ever coulda asked for- ford really did a great package overall in these cars, tooooooo much fun to drive, awesome just to even look at... too bad assembly issues never got up to snuff after all these years- but still, great cars

Last edited by ford4v429; 3/28/14 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Passenger Side Water Leak