Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fuel Tank Problem Possible Fix! Please Advise!

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/08, 07:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
UPDATE!!!

FIXED!!!

(At least for now )

I took apart the entire line from the tank back to the canisters. I took out all the canisters and checked them out. I paid special attention to that 'filter' box that is mentioned in that other thread and I don't know that it was specifically the problem. When I took it out, I was careful to gently blow through it (with my mouth), and felt no restriction there at all. Truth be told, I didn't find much of a restriction anywhere... which was frustrating. So I took my compressor and blew air through every piece of plumbing and canister then reassembled everything, completely stumped as to what else the problem could be.

I went back to the same Sunoco, stuck 'er in, and hit the fuel full blast... fully expecting to either get sprayed in gasoline or hear the infamous click. It goes, and goes, and goes... ... then clicks.

I pay, get in, and ...

... FULL TANK!

That's the first time that's happened in over 2 years!

I don't know where the restriction was, but it was somewhere on that right side of the tank, opposite the filler. I didn't mess with anything on the left side at all. It was definately a vent issue on the right side of the tank keeping fuel from getting there.

But - here's the odd thing - when I was reassembling everything I found my utility knife sitting in a pool of water that had a hint of a gas smell to it. I didn't notice exactly which pipe it came out of, but it got me thinking. I think somewhere, the actual problem was a condensation build up in one of the plumbing lines, likely in one of the bends - almost like a plumbing trap under your kitchen sink.

So I'm relieved and disappointed. I'm relieved because now I know how to quickly fix the problem should it reoccur. I'm disappointed because I was hoping to come back and tell everyone just where the problem was and how to fix it since I know it plagues a lot of us.

If anyone else tries this, pay attention for any liquid to come out of any of the lines - I was working in a poorly lit 30 degree garage.
I find it very annoying I'm going to have to drive all the way to Canton to get this fixed instead of up the road to a ford dealer.

Old 1/5/08, 02:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That vent theory is the issue and you resolved it on your own. However the gas station pumps are also a issue. I have been using the same gas station for the entire time i have had the car and recently they replaced their gas pump nozzles. Well guess what happen when i went to get gas?

Yep you got it click, click, click

So i stop move the car to another pump new pump nozzle on it also. Same thing happens click, click click.

So i said screw it went across the street to another station and had zero issues.

Also you guys should fill your cars on the lowest setting possible this creates less turbulence and vapors.
Old 3/11/08, 07:17 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Still fixed if anyone's curious.
Old 3/12/08, 01:22 AM

Fuel Tank Problem

Hi Gentlemen,

may be this link can help you.

http://ratstangrestoration.com/05_mustang_tank.htm

Regards, Juergen ( Germany )
Old 3/12/08, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jekoeppl
Hi Gentlemen,

Good information. It reminds me of the EGR problems I used to have on my old 92 Lincoln Mark VII. The egr vacuum regulator solenoids encased filter would plug partially with dirt and cause slow egr vacuum bleed-off.
Old 3/20/08, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jekoeppl
Hi Gentlemen,

Don't know if any of you guys recognized, but these are the exact pictures and discription of one of the postings on page 1:

Originally Posted by gloryboy
found this on another forum, not sure it will help but may be worth a shot.......
http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=591
Old 4/5/08, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

What you said makes perfect sense . And that condensation would freeze below 32 degrees, thus blocking the vent , not allowing the right side to fill with fuel. Great find ! I wonder what Ford will do with this blunder ? But what I am not clear about is, how does the fuel that lays in the sender (right ) side find its way to the pump ( left ) side of the tank ? Unless maybe the return lines play into this somehow . An how can you have a sender in 1 side of a tank and a pump on the other side and still get an accurate reading at the IP ? I'm so confused ! !

Last edited by red pony; 4/5/08 at 09:08 AM.
Old 6/11/08, 04:49 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Still fixed, but at over $4.00/gallon, I'm going to wish it would kick off earlier.
Old 6/15/08, 10:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Howdy. Just chiming in on this issue... my new-to-me 2006 GT has been now filled up twice. As I've read it's a better deal to use the lowest setting for vapor reasons (and do it at a cooler temperature, like morning, maybe) I used that. I'd heard about the fast fill issue as well, but that's not why I didn't go full tilt.

In any case, it takes about 10 minutes to fill this way, but it fills right on up. I sure hope I don't have any issues with this anytime soon... I *really* don't like gettin' gas on my clothes...
Old 12/20/16, 04:21 PM

its easy fix remove back seat / remove fuel pump cover / disconnect and remove fuel pumps / now u will see that pumps have a line connecting both pumps blow air from one side then other side/ then wipe down fuel tank trash and put it all back together if this docent work main fuel pump driver side needs replacement
Old 11/26/19, 06:01 PM

Any updates

Hi
I just purchased a 2007 GT California Special and yes, I have the ubiquitous problem of fuel filling. Before I embark on fixing it, I wondered if there are any updates on the issue?

As I understand, there could be a mix of issues that cause the problem so I am going to try in this order;
1. Clean/replace the foam filter
2. Replace the purge valve
3. Remove fuel pumps, test and clear/replace hoses (and pump if appropriate)
4. Remove ALL tubes and fittings, clean/clear/replace and reassemble.
5. Install a breather tube from both tanks to the neck of the filler tube

Any advice gratefully received.

If that doesn't work, leave it empty for my wife to fill.

Old 11/26/19, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Can I interest you in... The Method...?

I came up with it myself. There's also the info on what the problem really is. It's a combination of issues, but the main thing is the small diameter fill tube to the tank, and there's an overly aggressive 'P-trap' that helps to clog up the works causing the issue. I have done NONE of these things you speak of, or I speak of, I just do... The Method... and it works just fine.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forums!

Last edited by houtex; 11/26/19 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11/27/19, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
Can I interest you in... The Method...?

I came up with it myself. There's also the info on what the problem really is. It's a combination of issues, but the main thing is the small diameter fill tube to the tank, and there's an overly aggressive 'P-trap' that helps to clog up the works causing the issue. I have done NONE of these things you speak of, or I speak of, I just do... The Method... and it works just fine.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forums!
Thanks Houtex
Yes, in New Zealand we have slightly different pump nozzles but still we can twist and turn them to maximise the amount of fuel. I was, misguidedly perhaps, wanting to just "plunge'n'pull" i.e. plunge the nozzle into the filler and pull the lever! I still might ensure all the tubes are clear and clean.
Cheers
Kim
Old 11/27/19, 10:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I hear ya. I would love to just hit the 'full pull' on fill up too, but I just couldn't bring myself to mess with it once I figured out how to make it work. If'n ya just did the filler tube, 'unkinked' it, and/or swapped it with the bigger tube, you can.

Sidenote: I really wanna go to NZ. It looks awesome, and fun to drive. And fun to ride a motorcycle while I'm at it. Maybe one day... *checks lottery tickets...*

Cheers back!
Old 11/28/19, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
I hear ya. I would love to just hit the 'full pull' on fill up too, but I just couldn't bring myself to mess with it once I figured out how to make it work. If'n ya just did the filler tube, 'unkinked' it, and/or swapped it with the bigger tube, you can.

Sidenote: I really wanna go to NZ. It looks awesome, and fun to drive. And fun to ride a motorcycle while I'm at it. Maybe one day... *checks lottery tickets...*

Cheers back!
Do come. Actually a lot of Americans living here. A lot of famous Americans have homes/Ranches here too. We are a very secular, liberal country and very diverse. But being a predominantly western culture, very easy to get along in. Some of our language will confuse you though, like, if we agree, we'll say "Yeah, nah".

I own two Harleys as well (Road King and Superglide) and it definitely is great riding/driving because you can go from the sea to Mountains in a few minutes, then plunge into dense native bush roads with amazing lakes, rivers and gorges. Summer weather is usually in the 16 to 30 degree range depending on latitude.

If you go off the usual tourist trails you find some amazing places.
Cheers
Kim