Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2006 with slow to fill gastank

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/06, 01:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The gas station where I buy my gas 99% of the time recently had a full upgrade of all their pumps etc. Prior to this, they had the older pumps with the rubber boot on them. I had more difficulty with those than these new ones. The boot design on the new pump nozzle is smaller and goes down into the neck of the gas outlet less than the older ones. Since they installed these, I haven't had a problem at all.Prior to that, there were times where I had to wrestle the boot back all the time, jockey the nozzle in and out and eventually it would go. It really did seem to depend on the particular nozzle though. It was not uniform. Some would work without a hitch, others would frustrate me beyond belief.

I think the long and short of this is that it is the car NOT the gas pumps. As stated by many others, I've had 12 different cars through the years and this is the only one thats given me any issues EVER. Somehow they just missed the design on the fuel neck.
Old 10/23/06, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by packhater

THEN he tells me that he remembers another person having a similar issue and they discovered that he had a spider web in the tank causing the issue and thinks that maybe I have a similar problem. WHAT???????????? How the hell does a spider even GET into the tank much less survive long enough to build a house? That's crazy!!!!
LMAO reading this! That's a good one - a spider web in the filler neck. I thought I had heard everything. I can't imagine the tech said that with a straight face.
Old 10/23/06, 03:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had the fill up problem too and at first, I dealt with it, but in the last month or so, I have run into more problems, including the dreaded 10 minutes to fill up 3 gallons problem... I tried different pumps, stations, you name it, but it seems to be getting worse on my car, so I called my dealership and they ordered the parts... We'll see if it fixes the problem... I was fine to live with the problem if it turned the pump off every once in a while, but when I have to put the nozzle in 17 different ways to get the gas to flow more than a few seconds, either it gets fixed or I am going to end up in the looney bin...

Old 10/23/06, 05:57 PM
Cobra Member

For me it depends on the station. I have only had it not take gas at all once, drove to another station and it worked fine. I turn the nozzle upside down if it won't go normally and with the exception of that one station it fills fine. Never belched gas out of the filler tube in 2 years of owning the car.

I have considered taking it in, just because it should work properly, but like the skipper 500, I haven't read enough positive reports on a fix to make me comfortable taking it in.
Old 10/23/06, 08:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Because I posted on this thread I jinxed myself and had the same problem a week after my last post. I was able to get half tank though so I just waited until I used it up again and was fine the next time. I have used the same station and pump since I have had my car, with the exception of my trip to MI. I have absolutely no doubt it is a design flaw with the car. I never had a problem with the following cars that my wife and I have owned:

'76 Chevy Monza Spyder 4cyl
'77 Mustang II 2.3
'68 Cougar 302
'69 Sport Fury 383*
'75 Newport 440
'74 Cougar XR7 351C
'76 Cutlass 350
'76 Mustang II 302
'80 Mustang 4cyl/converted to 302
'8x Charger 2.2
'8x 024 1.7
'74 TransAm 455
'84 Mustang GT 302
'88 Mustang LX 302
'83 Mustang GT 302
'84 Regal 350
'89 Lebaron GTS Turbo
'88 Ranger 4cyl converted to 302
'89 Taurus SHO 3.0
'91 Ranger 4 cyl converted to 302
'91 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Turbo 3.0
'76 Cobra II 302
'78 Mustang Mach 1 302
'95 Mustang GTS 302
'00 Lincoln LS Sport 3.9 v8
'84 Fiero 4cyl
'85 Tbird TurboCoupe 2.3
'93 Grand Am 3.1L
'95 Tbird 3.8
'97 Altima 4cyl
'00 Olds Intrigue 3.5
'00 Lincoln LS non-sport 3.9 v8
'05 Mazda MPV (who cares)
Old 10/24/06, 12:39 PM
V6 Member

There is one guy who made a posting about replacing the fuel filter which fixed his problem.

He didnt think it would be dirty since it was 3 months old but it was. Could be something in the factory that has this as a hit and miss thing.
Old 3/12/07, 06:19 PM
GT Member

OK I decided NOT to take it in to the dealer because I wasn't confident they knew what the problem was.

This morning I went to put some gas in after letting the tank run almost dry. I started to put gas in it and about 2 secs later, yes I said 2 secs, gas comes spurting out all over the car and it continued for like 3 secs. I proceeded to do what I normally would do to bypass this issue and it didn't work. I then tried what other people suggested and that was to turn the nozzle upside down, still no good! I could only put about 2-3 secs of gas in each time. I immediately drove up to the dealership.

The tech came with me to a different station and the same thing happened again except this time it just clicked off instead of exploding all over my car.

The first thing he says is that he would contact Ford engineering and ask them. After we get back to the dealer and he looks up some stuff, he says that they wanted to "check it out" to see what the problem was. THEN he tells me that he remembers another person having a similar issue and they discovered that he had a spider web in the tank causing the issue and thinks that maybe I have a similar problem. WHAT???????????? How the hell does a spider even GET into the tank much less survive long enough to build a house? That's crazy!!!!

So I told him NO, I'm not going to let your guys experiment on my car. Call Ford, ask them and we'll do what they suggest. That's what the tech said he'd do and that's what I want. He then gets all huffy and goes and gets a manager who also gets huffy because I stick to my guns and keep saying no. Then the manager asks me where I bought it, and my reply was that I didn't really understand what that had to do with anything. Then he asked me what I wanted them to do. So I proceeded to tell then yet again.

GEEZ!!!!!!!! What's up with these people? This is a legitamate problem and it needs to be fixed! I understand that there may be a little frustration on their part no being able to fix something but don't you think it's slightly easier saying that? "Um, we're sorry sir, Ford engineering hasn't provided us with a fix as of yet for this problem." I mean how freakin hard is that to say???

It sure is a lot easier on the ears than "Maybe you have a spider in your tank and we want you to give us your baby for a few days so we can take it apart and try to find it."

On the different sation note....That's crap!!!! When was the last time any one of you had someone that told you "hey dude, had a problem with the quik trip down the road...try the P66 station over there by the grocery store, it worked fine" That's just dumb!!!! YES it might work but come on. How many cars of different make and model are on the road? How many millions??? How many have this problem??? Only 05 06 and maybe 07 Ford mustangs????

For me, I was lucky. For the first year, 3700 miles and roughly 20 or so fillups, I didn't have this problem. Why now? I don't know. Maybe the spider got a hooker, knocked her up and now the kids live at home!

Anyone have any Ford engineering contacts?
Old 3/13/07, 01:46 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you'd think the spider and his net would have been washed down to the bottom of the tank by the pressure from the nozzle?
what a dumb excuse
Old 3/13/07, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

There is a post on one of the forums that shows how to fix this issue. I will try and find it. And post the link.

Richard
Old 3/13/07, 05:29 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by packhater
OK How many cars of different make and model are on the road? How many millions??? How many have this problem??? Only 05 06 and maybe 07 Ford mustangs????
No, 03 -05 Infiniti G35s have this same problem. 2001 PT Cruisers have this same problem.

I've had my '06 for a year and never had a problem.
Old 3/13/07, 07:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Either I am having a detailed de ja vue, or this spider post has been done somewhere else. I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now.
Old 3/13/07, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

When this happens to me all I have to do is start the car. The fuel pumps running break the vacuum lock and the tank will take fuel again.

Also i've found that if i dont go below a quarter of a tank it wont happen.

Jay
Old 3/14/07, 12:07 AM
Bullitt Member

I have a 2006GT... had it happen 3 times in 5 months of ownership. All 3 times was when the pump was under stronger pressure. Try filling at slowest speed (first notch). Also, if you have the vapor seals on the end of the pumps where you live, I've found if you pull these back (to allow fumes to escape) while pumping, nozzle won't shut off prematurely.
Old 3/14/07, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I have had mine for 15 months now. I have had this issue maybe 10 times. When It happens I take the pump out and use my hip to shake the car just enough to get the gas to move in the tank. It seems to fix it everytime. I push on the side of the car right at the taillight so it does not dent the quater panel.