Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Trade Value 2013 GT/CS

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/14, 07:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade Value 2013 GT/CS

Ok so I went to the dealership today because I found a killer deal on a 2014 5.0 with a Roush Supercharger. Sales Manager ran the numbers and best he could come back with for trade value for my car is 22k. My car is loaded with all options minus the glass roof. I took delivery of my car in November of 2012 and have 27k miles. I paid 38k for it (Stickers for 42K). Anyone else trade in their car and get such a low offer?

Link to the car I was trying to trade for...
http://www.firsttexashonda.com/inven...BP8CF0E5224184

Last edited by treborwd22; 9/12/14 at 07:48 PM.
Old 9/12/14, 08:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by treborwd22
Ok so I went to the dealership today because I found a killer deal on a 2014 5.0 with a Roush Supercharger. Sales Manager ran the numbers and best he could come back with for trade value for my car is 22k. My car is loaded with all options minus the glass roof. I took delivery of my car in November of 2012 and have 27k miles. I paid 38k for it (Stickers for 42K). Anyone else trade in their car and get such a low offer? Link to the car I was trying to trade for... http://www.firsttexashonda.com/inven...BP8CF0E5224184
All I can suggest is checking Edmunds True Market Value, NADA and KBB to see what they all say. Take that info in writing to that dealer and negotiate the best you can. And if they won't budge even if your car comes back higher valued from those sources, sell it outright somewhere else. Dealers may not want to take in 2014 and older Mustangs right now with the 2015's coming?
Old 9/12/14, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice car that is offered. But what about super charging your current car? That would probably be a much, much better deal!
Old 9/12/14, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok so I went to the dealership today because I found a killer deal on a 2014 5.0 with a Roush Supercharger. Sales Manager ran the numbers and best he could come back with for trade value for my car is 22k. My car is loaded with all options minus the glass roof. I took delivery of my car in November of 2012 and have 27k miles. I paid 38k for it (Stickers for 42K). Anyone else trade in their car and get such a low offer?

For trade at a dealer with 27k miles I'd say that's pretty close. Remember anytime you trade your car in you'll get the lowest price. I'm sure you'll get an easy few thousand more selling it yourself. I was offered 23k trade for my 38k sticker GT with 4500 miles a few weeks ago.Scott

Last edited by sgallison; 9/12/14 at 08:17 PM.
Old 9/12/14, 08:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Plim
Nice car that is offered. But what about super charging your current car? That would probably be a much, much better deal!

Not really. If I can get 26k for my trade my payment will only increase $10 to $20 per month. Cost of the supercharger along with suspension and Velgen wheels would set me back over 10k. Not only that but this car has only 5k miles and mine has 27k
Old 9/12/14, 10:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not really. If I can get 26k for my trade my payment will only increase $10 to $20 per month. Cost of the supercharger along with suspension and Velgen wheels would set me back over 10k. Not only that but this car has only 5k miles and mine has 27k
It really depends on what you're doing: buying the super charged car emotionally, or are you trying to make a rational decision?
If you're trying to rationalize it, I think you will not get the numbers correct to do that.

Think of this:
in the 22 months that you've owned this car, it depreciated about $16K and you're still paying it off. You're offered 22k for a car that you're still paying off. Look at the total payments you've done in the 22 months, and how that matches to what the dealer is offering you. You're probably upside down.

Now, if you're trading it in for a 32K car, your loan balance will go up again by 10K. You say your monthly will only go up by a few dollars (if you get 4K more), which probably means you're starting a new loan with a new length (and your old loan balance is added to the 10K). Calculate what total you will have paid at the end of this new loan, and add the payments you've done in the 22 months for your current car.
If that total amount is less than the 10 K for super charger and wheels, then I guess it might me a good deal. Otherwise, you're sinking money into the dealership.

But again, emotionally, it might be totally worth it.

good luck with your choice !
Old 9/13/14, 12:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like this car was a random target of opportunity, not the dream Mustang that you've been dying to build for yourself "some day". For example, if you were to go wheel shopping for your Mustang right now, are those the wheels that you would select out of all the wheels on the market right now? Probably not. Were you already planning a power adder to your car and if so, was the Roush supercharger the power adder of your choice?

If all these are affirmative, then it's a match made in heaven if you can get the price right. Otherwise, it would be more logical to keep your car and build it over time. You can add the suspension components a few at a time to spread out the expense. Add the power adder next year or choose the wheels that you like best and add the power adder the year after that. Just go on like that until you have the Mustang that you want, that you built, for you. Maybe you will spend $10k on the car but over the course of years, it's not that much per year.
Old 9/13/14, 07:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Thats a hell of a deal on the 14 and they are close with 22k trade offer. If you have the dough to make the monthly payments, go for it. Nothing like driving a supercharged stang
Old 9/13/14, 07:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
LOL......back in the early 80's when "performance" cars had under 200 HP we could have only dreamed of 420 HP and would have thought that would be the best thing ever....now it's not enough!!!!
Old 9/13/14, 07:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know someone that just bought 13 GT/CS with similar mileage and think he paid 26K, give or take. I wouldn't expect them to come up much.
Old 9/13/14, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
LOL......back in the early 80's when "performance" cars had under 200 HP we could have only dreamed of 420 HP and would have thought that would be the best thing ever....now it's not enough!!!!
Not to mention double the HP and the MPG is the same if not better.
Old 9/13/14, 06:15 PM

sounds like a good offer from a dealer. i recently got 12k for a 2010 gt with 90k miles on it, i figured with no mods that was a decent deal. ended up getting a 2014 white premium gt.

i say if you want it get it, i knew i could get more but hey i had to have this car...lol
Old 9/15/14, 07:10 AM
GT Member

The steep discounts on the 14's are being reflected in the trade in valuations. Personally I would hold on to the car and make it what you want it to be.
Old 9/15/14, 08:27 AM
Cobra Member

sell it privately and try to get more for your GT to balance out the payments so that you don't pay more for the newer Supercharged car. otherwise, I wouldn't bother.
Old 9/15/14, 08:38 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
What a low ball offer. I got 22k for my 11 V6 with 36k miles in it! I watched the dealership closely so they didn't just up the trade in price to roll in additional fees when purchasing my GT. At the end of the day, my monthly payments stayed the same. Go to another dealership.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 9/15/14 at 03:22 PM.
Old 9/15/14, 08:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

I agree with Plim, you would lose money in the long run. I understand how you feel, (that little devil on your shoulder saying "you only live once" I want a 2015 so bad I can taste it but can't justify it. or you can buy yourself a supercharger and a case of beer, and call it good. Best wishes you your choice.
Old 9/15/14, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
One year ago, almost to the day, I traded in my 2012 BASE 5.0 with 46k miles for $18,500.

Trade-ins suck... I still believe I could have received closer to 20-21k if I would have sold it privately. I had ALL documents and receipts from it's birth.

Last edited by Krohn; 9/15/14 at 09:43 AM.
Old 9/15/14, 12:30 PM
GT Member

Before I went the lemon law route, I almost traded in my car (even if deemed not a lemon, I am getting rid of the little trouble maker). '13 GT/CS, I had around 27k miles at the time (late July or early August), electronics, comfort, glass roof, 3.55, and he said it would be between $24-25k

Looking at other sales I could get around $29k or maybe $30k privately if i got lucky, but I would have to deal with people wanting to just drive it to drive it and the risk involved with that...plus potentially taking a while to find someone actually interested in it (might be easier in the Detroit area), but I didn't want to deal with the headaches of that. Plus potentially scaring them off with the stack of warranty work that has been done (the reason I am getting rid of it)

Last edited by SkyyPunk; 9/15/14 at 12:36 PM.
Old 9/15/14, 03:00 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Plim
It really depends on what you're doing: buying the super charged car emotionally, or are you trying to make a rational decision?
If you're trying to rationalize it, I think you will not get the numbers correct to do that.

Think of this:
in the 22 months that you've owned this car, it depreciated about $16K and you're still paying it off. You're offered 22k for a car that you're still paying off. Look at the total payments you've done in the 22 months, and how that matches to what the dealer is offering you. You're probably upside down.

Now, if you're trading it in for a 32K car, your loan balance will go up again by 10K. You say your monthly will only go up by a few dollars (if you get 4K more), which probably means you're starting a new loan with a new length (and your old loan balance is added to the 10K). Calculate what total you will have paid at the end of this new loan, and add the payments you've done in the 22 months for your current car.
If that total amount is less than the 10 K for super charger and wheels, then I guess it might me a good deal. Otherwise, you're sinking money into the dealership.

But again, emotionally, it might be totally worth it.

good luck with your choice !
Well put Pascal. Emotions get the best of folks sometimes. 10 bucks more a month sounds tempting at first glance, until you realize you'll be making that 10 buck more a month payment for much longer than before...or that you had to invest more capital to equal the remaining payment.

Dealerships love emotional buyers.

Originally Posted by scott9050
The steep discounts on the 14's are being reflected in the trade in valuations. Personally I would hold on to the car and make it what you want it to be.
^ This.
Old 9/15/14, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Z. I would keep your current ride and add a little here and there each year or whenever u can afford to do it. It can be fun to see your car evolve. Or, keep your car stock and put money aside to buy whatever you want for your next ride down the road.

Quick Reply: Trade Value 2013 GT/CS