Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thoughts on K&N CAI

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/14, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Question Thoughts on K&N CAI

So I'm generally not a big fan of CAI's particularly those that don't require a tune. But I came across the dyno charts for K&N's CAI for our Coyotes. Found it here:
http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=672

K&N states they are a no tune part, yet claim 20hp and 26tq mid curve
That looks impressive, but I'm a bit suspicious

What are your thoughts? Anyone use this part before? How did you like it?

Christmas is coming, and my better half has been super cool about getting me car parts . I've bee waiting to see what Steeda comes up with in regards to a no tune CAI, but haven't heard any updates there in over a month. Anyway, I figured a K&N CAI may be a good choice also.

Oh, and I found a video too:

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 10/26/14 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10/27/14, 04:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Junk. Don't believe everything you read.
Old 10/27/14, 01:48 PM
Banned

Thanks Scott. I was quite suspicious, and I still wonder how they managed such good numbers on the dyno.
Old 10/28/14, 06:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
87 vs 93 octane, cold day vs hot day, TCS on vs off... no claim was made that it was back to back testing. Easy to omit details on test conditions to show different results. Also didnt state if multiple dyno runs were done... could have cherry picked the best and worst to "maximize gains"
Old 10/29/14, 11:01 AM
Banned

Thanks for the sanity check guys. I like staring at nice looking dyno charts

But you are talking sense into me. I'll stick to GT500 brake shield, Boss 302 low expansion brake lines and more brake fluid for my Christmas wish list.
Old 10/29/14, 01:45 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I questioned the CIA's use as being Cold air intake.....so I did alot of reading and I still have not ever understood what is cold, since the engine compartment get warm or even hot and your CIA is in the compartment thus pulling in hot air, not cold air. I went with the KN performance filter in the stock box, since the stock box draws outside air from the front of the car......air that is cooler than inside the engine compartment thus dense air. I have had no regrets since that choice. Someone told me unless I wanted to hear the whistling of the CIA that would be all I miss. Just my two cents.
Old 10/29/14, 02:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Regarding the cold air... I data log when I track my car and I capture IAT's and ambient temp. The IATs are always within 1 degree of ambient even in the racing environment. I think the only time a CAI would help is after the car has been sitting. I do see temps climb if I've been idling or in the lots. But then the drop back down. No CAI for me at this point.
Old 10/29/14, 02:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Thanks for the sanity check guys. I like staring at nice looking dyno charts

But you are talking sense into me. I'll stick to GT500 brake shield, Boss 302 low expansion brake lines and more brake fluid for my Christmas wish list.
Why not SS lines?

Also have you looked at doing the brake cooling ducting?
Old 10/29/14, 02:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Steeda now has a no tune CAI... fairly expensive but i hear their stuff is top notch. As for performance gains... who knows... they are all really just hot air intakes.
Old 10/29/14, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bentnail
I questioned the CIA's use as being Cold air intake.....so I did alot of reading and I still have not ever understood what is cold, since the engine compartment get warm or even hot and your CIA is in the compartment thus pulling in hot air, not cold air. I went with the KN performance filter in the stock box, since the stock box draws outside air from the front of the car......air that is cooler than inside the engine compartment thus dense air. I have had no regrets since that choice. Someone told me unless I wanted to hear the whistling of the CIA that would be all I miss. Just my two cents.
Some companies out there re-use that piping, so they can get away with CAI name. Others not so much.

If you look at the pics of the K&N CAI in the link, the rectangular box in the bottom connects to factory piping for collecting air from outside the car.
Old 10/29/14, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Why not SS lines?

Also have you looked at doing the brake cooling ducting?
The Boss lines are $89 for the 4, and they are supposed to make a big difference from the reviews I've read so far. And plus I only track my car 4 days per year. Apropos, at only 4 days/year it's hard to justify the cost of cooling ducts. And I'd rather not drill holes in my lower grill . Still struggling with this.

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Steeda now has a no tune CAI... fairly expensive but i hear their stuff is top notch. As for performance gains... who knows... they are all really just hot air intakes.
Have you seen any updates from TJ on that lately? I'm looking for dyno charts and power gain claims. Do they re-use the factory cold air inlet? I would guess not since Steeda units are usually not sealed insude the engine bay...

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 10/29/14 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10/29/14, 05:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The Boss lines are $89 for the 4, and they are supposed to make a big difference from the reviews I've read so far. And plus I only track my car 4 days per year. Apropos, at only 4 days/year it's hard to justify the cost of cooling ducts. And I'd rather not drill holes in my lower grill . Still struggling with this.
SS Lines for $99

I put SS lines in earlier this year. I would not say "a big difference" but it's peace of mind and a little bit stiffer pedal, primarily as things heat up.

Guess the ducting depends how hard you push the car. I'm running my car pretty hard now and want every ounce of cooling possible. But I understand the dilemna
Old 10/29/14, 05:36 PM
Cobra Member

Have you seen any updates from TJ on that lately? I'm looking for dyno charts and power gain claims. Do they re-use the factory cold air inlet? I would guess not since Steeda units are usually not sealed insude the engine bay...
They do not re use anything from stock. The MAF, soundtube and throttle body are all plug and play on the new intake.

Here it is here

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-proflow...ired-555-3190/

And here is TJ's thread

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...da-cai-532847/

still no update on numbers/gains

Edit: also let me add and say that there is really no point to get an aftermarket intake especially if you are running without a tune, not boosted, and have a stock intake manifold. It makes sense for forced induction, a boss 302 intake manifold, or at least simple ECU tune.... but just the intake on stock manifold with no tune is really not that great, nor should you waste 500$ on it. I recommend you just keep the factory air box, get a K&N filter and focus on the other performance goodies you mentioned your wife wanted to get for xmas. Cheers

Last edited by xtc.inc; 10/29/14 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10/29/14, 06:06 PM
Banned

SS Lines for $99

I put SS lines in earlier this year. I would not say "a big difference" but it's peace of mind and a little bit stiffer pedal, primarily as things heat up.

Guess the ducting depends how hard you push the car. I'm running my car pretty hard now and want every ounce of cooling possible. But I understand the dilemna
Wow, that does look like a great deal! I'll consider this SS kit for sure!

And here is how I'd say I push my car at track days:
Corners: 97% of max of stock suspension once I get warmed up
Straights & Exits: 95-98% of max (I could get on the throttle faster, and shift a little closer to redline. I usually do 1 or 2 laps per session towards the end and those are my fastest laps)
Brake Zones: 85-93%. I brake at the second marker. I start at 3rd and work my way to second. One or two laps I'll push deeper. With this strategy and the Carbotech pads I use I've never gotten fade. If I pushed 93-95% every lap past warmup, I'd definitely need cooling. But with my current strategy I gain in corners and straight, and lose a little time in the brake zones.

They do not re use anything from stock. The MAF, soundtube and throttle body are all plug and play on the new intake.

Here it is here

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-proflow...ired-555-3190/

And here is TJ's thread

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...da-cai-532847/

still no update on numbers/gains

Edit: also let me add and say that there is really no point to get an aftermarket intake especially if you are running without a tune, not boosted, and have a stock intake manifold. It makes sense for forced induction, a boss 302 intake manifold, or at least simple ECU tune.... but just the intake on stock manifold with no tune is really not that great, nor should you waste 500$ on it. I recommend you just keep the factory air box, get a K&N filter and focus on the other performance goodies you mentioned your wife wanted to get for xmas. Cheers
Actually they even say they do reuse the cold air feeds, but since it's not fully sealed I don't know how much good that does.

Other than that I think you're right all the way. I don't want a tune, and I actually already have the K&N box filter. But you're spot on. With no manifold, tune or forced induction the gains will be negligible. I think I'll stick to other parts like you suggest. Thanks for the good advice to you and everyone.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 10/29/14 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10/29/14, 06:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Wow, that does look like a great deal! I'll consider this SS kit for sure!

And here is how I'd say I push my car at track days:
Corners: 97% of max of stock suspension once I get warmed up
Straights & Exits: 95-98% of max (I could get on the throttle faster, and shift a little closer to redline. I usually do 1 or 2 laps per session towards the end and those are my fastest laps)
Brake Zones: 85-93%. I brake at the second marker. I start at 3rd and work my way to second. One or two laps I'll push deeper. With this strategy and the Carbotech pads I use I've never gotten fade. If I pushed 93-95% every lap past warmup, I'd definitely need cooling. But with my current strategy I gain in corners and straight, and lose a little time in the brake zones.
Guess it depends on the track too. I can run Limerock pushing hard and have no fade, but at Thompson, I start to fade quickly even wtih all the cooling I have. Granted I think I have something else going on with the car too, but if you're having no issues, probably don't need the cooling for just a coulpe outings a year.
Old 10/29/14, 07:17 PM
Banned

Guess it depends on the track too. I can run Limerock pushing hard and have no fade, but at Thompson, I start to fade quickly even wtih all the cooling I have. Granted I think I have something else going on with the car too, but if you're having no issues, probably don't need the cooling for just a coulpe outings a year.
I guess that's the thing. Haven't gotten fade yet, but when I do that may very well change my outlook.

But the good news is this thread has convinced me to spend money where it matters. Brakes.
Old 10/29/14, 07:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I guess that's the thing. Haven't gotten fade yet, but when I do that may very well change my outlook.

But the good news is this thread has convinced me to spend money where it matters. Brakes.
Wait but what about suspension???

I'm all for braking mods, but I highly recommend watching for some deals on suspension... picking up a used set of STR.T's along with "Black Friday Special" on SR springs is still one of my favorite upgrades. Granted I want stiffer springs and adjustable shocks/struts now, but there is no way I could go back to stock now. Just eliminating the brake dive was worth it! Nevermind the improved handling and confidence they inspired...
Old 10/29/14, 08:32 PM
Banned

Yep, that's the next big thing.

I'm saving my money for a matched shock/spring/sway set or at least matched spring/shock set. Still haven't picked which one yet. But yes, that is the next big thing I'll be doing to my car.
Old 10/30/14, 01:54 AM
Cobra Member

Actually they even say they do reuse the cold air feeds, but since it's not fully sealed I don't know how much good that does.

My apologies im not actually too sure what you meant when you said cold air inlets?
Old 10/30/14, 09:05 AM
Banned

My apologies im not actually too sure what you meant when you said cold air inlets?
The part circled in the picture below connects to the factory cold air inlet from the upper grille. When the unit is sealed with a lid to prevent it from sucking in engine bay air it really is a cold air intake. That's how I look at it anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on K&N CAI-cai.jpg  

Quick Reply: Thoughts on K&N CAI