Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

In Theory, Mustang to regain sales lead.

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/12, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Theory, Mustang to regain sales lead.

After reading all the comment in a related tread on this subject, I have come up with the logic behind why currently the Camaro is ahead in sales.

When GM first came out with there new car, (2009 I believe) this country was in the middle, and in the deepest part of the worst recession in this nations history.

People that where going to buy a Camaro could not afford to at the time because the ever increasing unemployment and uncertainty caused by our government. Now as things economically are starting to turn, those who are the buyers are now able to afford this new car. The majority of these buyers are product specifically loyal to GM/Chevy and would only buy it if it has a bowtie on it, regardless of advertising and/or media.

This market segment buyer is going to "dry up" because it is my opinion the Camaro has a limited market. There are two basic reasons that come to mind that support this, firstly, they never stopped building the Mustang and if you notice the sales chart, the Mustang is holding very steady in sales and will only grow because the technology in engine development alone is so much better than anything GM produces.

Do they have an Ecoboost? Is there overall engine design dated compared to Ford's engineering and lack luster and have a futuristic outlook regarding performance combined with fuel efficiency?

History, as time and time again, will be repeating. Its very possible Fiat will kill the Challenger and GM will axe Camaro once again, especially after a world class car like the 2015 Mustang arrives on the scene.

GM and Chrysler Corp (Fiat) you better do your home work, because your pony cars days are numbered.
Old 2/15/12, 05:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good points. Add to them the cost. I went shopping for a "pony" type sports car a few months ago. I'm 54, and can remember the old pony car wars; my brother had a '69 Mach I, my dad drove a '68 Road Runner. The Challanger has a great design copy to it's roots, but is heavy, a bit underpowered, and the most expensive of the top three in it's base package. The Camaro does not do it for me in look and falls second as to being expensive in its base package offerings. After a bailout using taxpayers money, I would have thought GM would have priced the Camaro a bit more "friendly" to thank the public and their loyal fans.

Ford hit the home run with the Mustang, offering a base model with a V6 that is fun, fast, and great price for the masses. It your wallet can stretch, there are several models of Mustangs to get. The other two don't offer that many model packages.

Price did it for me. I'm having a blast with my V6, averaging 24.1 to 26 MPG with it's performance rear gearing, and easy monthly payments.

Last edited by Bucko; 2/16/12 at 04:40 AM.
Old 2/15/12, 09:56 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure I am not the first person to say this, but I really think the simple reason the Camaro continues to sell better than the Mustang is that all those Camaro and Firebird people that had nothing between 2003 and 2009 didn't go out and buy a Mustang. They waited until they could go out and buy a Camaro.

The economy may have delayed some of them, and I imagine lots of people avoided the first model year, so it has been spread out rather than having a huge spike for the '10 MY followed by an immediate fall back to below Mustang sales. I do agree it will balance out and things will be back to normal eventually though.

Last edited by Forkmachine; 2/15/12 at 10:00 AM.