2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sticking starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/10, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sticking starter issue

I've got a 2011 5.0 manual transmission and have recently noticed an issue with the starter sticking. When I say sticking I mean turning the key forward with my foot on the clutch and the starter just goes and goes and goes without the motor starting up. I guess it's the way these systems are designed electronically to keep going until the motor starts. If I take my hand off the key it will continue to turn over until I turn the key off and try again. Today I had the issue twice and on the 3rd attempt the car started fine. It's almost as if there is no fuel delivery during the failed startup attempts.

I'm going to try to recreate this a few times checking to make sure I hear the fuel pump kick in as I turn the key forward. I did a search on this issue and couldn't find a thing on it. Since it's difficult to recreate(it's only happened 5 times or so) it may be hard to get the dealer to track down the issue.
Old 7/1/10, 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would take it to the dealer and have them look. You're suppose to turn the key and let go, not hold it like previous mustangs and it should start right up, so I'd have the service department take a look.
Old 7/1/10, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine fires up in less than a second. Definitely take it to the dealer.
Old 7/1/10, 12:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeejolts
Mine fires up in less than a second. Definitely take it to the dealer.
Yep.

Am I correct in thinking these new Mustangs have a one turn start? Turn the key once like normal and the car will turn over until started?
Old 7/1/10, 12:30 PM

Thanks. When I say turn the key forward, yes I'm just turning it forward for a brief second and taking my hand off. Sometimes it gets stuck turning over for a few seconds without the engine starting up. I have to turn the key back to stop the starter then turn it forward again to see if it starts. When it does, it does it in about 1 second or less.

I guess what this means is that the car is failing to start for some reason and retrying it seems to get it to work. Probably not an issue I want to live with on a car that's not even 2 months old. If it were my 16 year old Mustang then it would be more understandable.

Last edited by kevlar; 7/1/10 at 12:53 PM.
Old 7/1/10, 04:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, these cars do have a one-turn start feature but it should not be necessary until the car is much older. Odd that it's being utilized at such an early age.
Old 7/22/10, 08:03 AM

I'm having an issue with my starter also. The starter is not engaging and revs up. Very loud! It will continue until you turn the ignition off. It takes a few tries to clear the problem. It has happened a half dozen times in the first 1000 miles. Took it to dealer. It did not replicate in the shop. They are unwilling to take any steps to correct this until total failure. I'm sure it will return and strand me somewhere.
Old 7/22/10, 08:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I can hear the service manager now stating he can NOT duplicate the problem.
Old 7/22/10, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Can we move this to the Warranty Issues area? Just trying to keep it organized and together...
Old 10/12/10, 02:15 PM

I think I have the same problem as you kevlar, hope you found a solution.
This morning I had a problem starting my car, I turned on the ignition and the motor just turned over but would not start. I turned off the key and tried it again but after about 5 seconds the engine just would not catch. So I turned off the ignition again and next time it started up right away just like it always does. I thought maybe I did not have the clutch completely depressed, but then it wouldn't even turn over would it? This also happened once before, about a month ago.
I'm thinking it might be an issue with the one-turn start feature?
Old 10/12/10, 02:34 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup they have a one touch start.
Old 10/12/10, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Happens very rarely for me, but generally only takes a few seconds longer (significant though since it usually takes less than a second), I've never had to stop it and try to start it again. Don't know the cause, but yeah, I know it'd get me the unable to duplicate result. I haven't been able to figure out what state causes it. Car has probably started at least once a day since I got it, so at least a hundred times, and it has done this maybe four times total with no rhyme nor reason.

I've pretty much accepted it as a quirk, but if anyone ever figured out the cause I'd love to hear it.
Old 10/12/10, 03:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Shouldn't be acting like that, seems like a defective fuel sending unit, take it to the dealership.
Old 10/12/10, 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Shouldn't be acting like that, seems like a defective fuel sending unit, take it to the dealership.
Sounds to me like it could be the passive antitheft.
Old 10/12/10, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by falhulk
Sounds to me like it could be the passive antitheft.
Why?
Old 10/12/10, 04:48 PM
V6 Member

Count me in as experiencing this issue. If I recall accurately, this has happened to me 3 times since purchase (7/25/10) and I have around 3,100 miles on the odo. First time it happened, it took 3 tries to start. Since then, turn it off, then try again and it starts right up. I'll mention it to the dealer next time I'm out that way, but expect the same, "... can't replicate." response. If anyone having this issue hears anything specific about a reason why, I (and others) would like to know what you find out.
Old 10/12/10, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

has happend to me a few times.. only on cold starts.. what i found is if i turn the ignition instantly to start without waiting for the computer to "cycle" it happens.. like the computer is stuck in a loop trying to test everything..

if i wait for the " cycle then turn the key to the start position it doesnt happen..
Old 10/12/10, 07:23 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Try turning the key to the 'on' position and wait for 5 seconds (so fuel pressure will build up) then turn the key to the 'start' position.
Old 10/14/10, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lancel
Happens very rarely for me, but generally only takes a few seconds longer (significant though since it usually takes less than a second), I've never had to stop it and try to start it again. Don't know the cause, but yeah, I know it'd get me the unable to duplicate result. I haven't been able to figure out what state causes it. Car has probably started at least once a day since I got it, so at least a hundred times, and it has done this maybe four times total with no rhyme nor reason.

I've pretty much accepted it as a quirk, but if anyone ever figured out the cause I'd love to hear it.
My 11 GT does the very same thing.
Old 10/14/10, 12:32 PM
GT Member

This has happened to be about 5 times now, I have about 4500 miles on the car now. It has not only happened on cold starts, but one time after filling up with gas. So maybe a fuel pump issue? Now if it won't start I let out the clutch to stop it from just cranking forever and try starting again. Like some have mentioned it might help to let the fuel pressure build up first. It does feel like the engine isn't getting any fuel when it just cranks and cranks. To be honest I gave up on using the "one touch start" and turn the key like you would a car with out it. Since then I have not had the problem again. Its just to embarrassing having a brand new car not start like its 50 years old... Other than that the car is awesome!

Quick Reply: Sticking starter issue