Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

S197 = ultimate "having cake, eating it too" car?

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/15, 08:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had an S197 in my life for over six years now (between two GTs) and I can't get over what a package these things are.

I tend to treat my GT as a "toy" (where my old XJ Cherokee does the brunt of the commuting and all of the bad weather duty)...but simply cannot get over how versatile these cars are, GT and V6 alike.

It's basically as quick as anything on four wheels that you'll come across on a normal day...and vastly cheaper than anything notably quicker

Extremely comfortable for long drives

Generous cargo area

Respectable fuel economy (especially the V6 models)

Reliable (not too many Mustang people get stranded)

Easily attainable parts and relatively affordable maintenance costs

I think the Mustang is rivaled only by the WRX as being quick, cheap to buy, cheap to own and practical. The WRX is way better in slippery conditions but it's also not as quick in the good weather.

You could probably make a similar case for Camaro and Challenger but each is less versatile as an every day car...Mustang is quicker/cheaper model for model. It's also way easier to park than either one.

I think the trend continues with the S550 Mustangs but they seem somehow more complex and the are also incrementially more expensive, of course. Also the back seat supposedly is even less usable than the one in the S197 (thanks to less head room).

Last edited by MRGTX; 8/14/15 at 09:00 AM.
Old 8/14/15, 11:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
More power less the fancy dancy technology stuff.
Old 8/14/15, 12:37 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Mike, here you go again with your deep deep topics. I enjoy reading your threads.

Marilyn is purely a show car/fun car for me. Low miles, good weather car. So it's all the positive things you said above, and then some. Not sure about reliability, because I drive her so incrementally that you can't compare it to a DD.
Old 8/14/15, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally agree and very happy I picked up the last year of the S197. It just has that nice blend of traditional mustang looks along with that great coyote motor. Cannot say enough how fun it is to have a 302 screaming up to 7500 rpms and banging through the auto shifts. I know it's not the fastest car out (being n/a and all) there, but it sure makes me smile.
Old 8/14/15, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Not the fastest car, but faster then majority of cars on the road.
Originally Posted by WhitePonyGT/CS
I totally agree and very happy I picked up the last year of the S197. It just has that nice blend of traditional mustang looks along with that great coyote motor. Cannot say enough how fun it is to have a 302 screaming up to 7500 rpms and banging through the auto shifts. I know it's not the fastest car out (being n/a and all) there, but it sure makes me smile.
Old 8/14/15, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Mike is spot on. My car is a blast to DD, plenty of trunk space on road trips, I get groceries in it, it puts a smile on my face on the way to/from work, and oh yeah...

...I track it too, and it IS faster than most other cars at the track too. I generally only get passed by Corvettes or an occasional Camaro ZL1.

'Murica!
Old 8/14/15, 02:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Do you guys park far far away?
Old 8/14/15, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my car. It has been very reliable. I daily drive it in all kinds of weather, all year long... And I park very far away
Old 8/14/15, 04:55 PM
SVS
V6 Member

"I think the Mustang is rivaled only by the WRX as being quick, cheap to buy, cheap to own and practical. The WRX is way better in slippery conditions but it's also not as quick in the good weather."

They go where the WRX's Go....
Old 8/14/15, 05:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
fo sho
Old 8/15/15, 06:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine absolutely goes where WRXs should go. I put snow tires/wheels on in the winter and I drive in the snow-sometimes deep-to go snowboarding in West Virginia and Pennsylvania. I've driven my car through 10 inches of snow home from work, and white out conditions for 80 miles easily maybe 5-10 times. You gotta be patient and know the car. That's it.
Old 8/15/15, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I will counter with Challenger for being better when it comes to everything you pointed out.

price, the v6 or v8 are very much in the same price as a new mustang if its in the + or - 2000 dollar tolerance ( they hold their resale value better then a mustang also for some reason)
they are much comfy then a stock mustang, and with suspension mods, no mustang will be as comfy as charger or challenger.
Alot of space in the trunk, and back seats are usable by tall people with more room compared to mustang or any 2 door.
gas mileage on the v6 with the 8speed is very good.
V8 gas milage? well anyone that buys a v8 car at the end just does not care what the numbers say on the window sticker.
both are reliable, no major disasters that might plague the car that I have seen online.
Parking it is the only down side compared to mustang, but today's cars with a backup camera, it becomes so much easier ( I wish I had in on my car, its the best thing ever since GPS on cars)

I dont know if its fair to compare the 2015 challenger to the 2011-14 mustang, but the 2015 Scat Pack is a "having cake, eaiting it too" car, its big, alot of room, amazing looks, comfy suspension and at the same time nimble, 485hp V8!, gas mileage is ok for what it is,really good interior with technology. Price wise same as a 2015 mustang with few options.

I think the 2012-2015 V6 (305hp) challenger with the 8 speed is a good car all around, while SRT is out of the price range to compare it to the Mustang GT, and the 2010-2014 R/T might be lacking power to compare to the Mustang GT, so I guess the 5.7 RT is second behind mustang in my opinion.
Thats why I select the Scat Pack as my choice that over takes S197(2011-2014) as far as this comparison goes. (I think its still fair to compare it as its basically same car as the previous 2008-2014 but with new interior, the SRT 6.4 engine, the amazing 8 speed tranny, few tweaks here and there, and new front and back, while it can compete in Mustang GT price range, invoice price is at 37,000)

Last edited by =HYPERDRIVE=; 8/15/15 at 08:47 AM.
Old 8/15/15, 06:13 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
I will counter with Challenger for being better when it comes to everything you pointed out.

price, the v6 or v8 are very much in the same price as a new mustang if its in the + or - 2000 dollar tolerance ( they hold their resale value better then a mustang also for some reason)
they are much comfy then a stock mustang, and with suspension mods, no mustang will be as comfy as charger or challenger.
Alot of space in the trunk, and back seats are usable by tall people with more room compared to mustang or any 2 door.
gas mileage on the v6 with the 8speed is very good.
V8 gas milage? well anyone that buys a v8 car at the end just does not care what the numbers say on the window sticker.
both are reliable, no major disasters that might plague the car that I have seen online.
Parking it is the only down side compared to mustang, but today's cars with a backup camera, it becomes so much easier ( I wish I had in on my car, its the best thing ever since GPS on cars)

I dont know if its fair to compare the 2015 challenger to the 2011-14 mustang, but the 2015 Scat Pack is a "having cake, eaiting it too" car, its big, alot of room, amazing looks, comfy suspension and at the same time nimble, 485hp V8!, gas mileage is ok for what it is,really good interior with technology. Price wise same as a 2015 mustang with few options.

I think the 2012-2015 V6 (305hp) challenger with the 8 speed is a good car all around, while SRT is out of the price range to compare it to the Mustang GT, and the 2010-2014 R/T might be lacking power to compare to the Mustang GT, so I guess the 5.7 RT is second behind mustang in my opinion.
Thats why I select the Scat Pack as my choice that over takes S197(2011-2014) as far as this comparison goes. (I think its still fair to compare it as its basically same car as the previous 2008-2014 but with new interior, the SRT 6.4 engine, the amazing 8 speed tranny, few tweaks here and there, and new front and back, while it can compete in Mustang GT price range, invoice price is at 37,000)
Good points. But don't challengers and chargers only come with an auto? My toys have to be stick.
Old 8/15/15, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Good points. But don't challengers and chargers only come with an auto? My toys have to be stick.
Challenger has both manual and auto. Charger only Auto.
Old 8/15/15, 10:22 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Great writeup. I would have to agree with you ESPECIALLY when talking about convertibles. I actually sort of daily drive mine too, and have been extremely happy with the performance and my ability to easily and cheaply modify her every few months, while enjoying reliability.
Old 8/16/15, 06:21 AM
GT Member

The Challenger isn't marginally bigger, it's freakin enormous compared to a mustang. Yeah it's way more comfortable with loads of suspension travel but it's comparing apples and oranges in the sense that this modern version is a muscle car while the mustang is a pony car. I turned mine in for a stang and I'm delighted with the difference.
I agree with the first post on this thread, MRGTX. Ditto.
Old 8/16/15, 09:25 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Challenger is a beautiful car and I was planning on buying one. Until I rented a Mustang while in Vegas. The performance of the V6 and the nimble handling as well as the comfortable interior sold me. If you need the room the Challenger is a great car, as an empty nester the Mustang has all the room I need.
Yes, I do park far away, usually in the back row. I need the exercise anyway.
Old 8/16/15, 09:43 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
My '13 GT vert is my daily driver. I go to work, the gym, get groceries, etc with it in addition to road trips. I find it comfortable and a blast to drive. I do park away from other cars whenever possible.
Old 8/16/15, 10:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
There are some great American hot rods available right now, whether it's Ford, GM, Dodge or whatever. For me, I couldn't be happier with my GT. It has more power than I really need, and still gives me that seventeen year old grin when I hammer it!
Old 8/17/15, 07:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I do agree that Challenger is also a solid choice and may even be better in a few of the daily/practicality measures...depending on your needs (like having people larger than children in the back seat), Challenger may be better. I think the S197 just beats it in so many categories that it's a better cake/eating it machine.

They're colossal (as mentioned above) and have 400-600lbs on the Mustang when comparing model for model. I don't have supporting data on this but I'd have to assume this means they'd eat brake pads and clutches faster than a comparably driven Mustang.

The mass also certainly factors in for fuel economy. Mustangs are much easier on fuel (Mustang GTs do about as well as V6 Challengers in the real world).

The Mustang is WAY easier to see out of, especially looking rear-ward. Yeah, Challanger is better than Camaro by miles but it still has tremendous blind spots.

The size and bulk of the Challenger make it significantly more difficult to park, especially if (God forbid) you have to parallel park on a city street.

So unless you really prefer the looks or the Challenger (or need that extra back seat room), Mustang is way quicker, more nimble and more efficient for the same money (or less).

I have 500+ Challenger R/T miles under my belt. I really love them...just not as good of an all-around package as the Mustang S197.

Last edited by MRGTX; 8/17/15 at 07:54 AM.

Quick Reply: S197 = ultimate "having cake, eating it too" car?