Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

RTR Wheels, Potenza RE-11, Bilstein, Eibach Pro...now need good weather

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/15, 08:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
RTR Wheels, Potenza RE-11, Bilstein, Eibach Pro...now need good weather

The car goes in for an alignment on Thursday (assuming the roads are clean/dry)...but the suspension mods for the year area all in place. The axle is shifted to the driver's side...quite apparent when you go back and forth between the two sides. The adjustable Whiteline panhard bar will allow for an easy fix to that.

I'm not sure what I think of the RTR wheels so far. I have really liked them on other people's cars but in evening/dim light, I wasn't too impresed with the look.

No turning back now!
Attached Thumbnails RTR Wheels, Potenza RE-11, Bilstein, Eibach Pro...now need good weather-3-29-15-rtr-wheels-installed-1.jpg  

Last edited by MRGTX; 3/30/15 at 09:00 AM.
Old 3/30/15, 09:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I like your wheels a lot. Maybe if you black out your 5.0 emblems and your faux gas cap you'd like the look more.
Old 3/31/15, 03:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I like your wheels a lot. Maybe if you black out your 5.0 emblems and your faux gas cap you'd like the look more.
Thanks...I will look into blacking out the badge/etc. is plastidip the preferred method?
Attached Thumbnails RTR Wheels, Potenza RE-11, Bilstein, Eibach Pro...now need good weather-image.jpg  
Old 3/31/15, 03:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Thanks...I will look into blacking out the badge/etc. is plastidip the preferred method?
Many folks do plastidip. That way it is reversible. You can also buy black badges and replace them.
Old 3/31/15, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Nice! Let us know how you like the RE-11s and how the Bilstein shocks turn out
Old 3/31/15, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good! What size RE-11 did you get? 285/35 19?

Funny, I just placed an order for those very tires to put on my RTR 19 x 9.5 rims that i have in storage. Looking at your car makes me very eager to get mine on and back on the road!
Old 3/31/15, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I think the car looks great!
Old 4/1/15, 05:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Nice! Let us know how you like the RE-11s and how the Bilstein shocks turn out
You got it.
I'm hoping that I will be able to put some miles down soon...but they just salted the roads AGAIN last night.

Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
Looks good! What size RE-11 did you get? 285/35 19?

Funny, I just placed an order for those very tires to put on my RTR 19 x 9.5 rims that i have in storage. Looking at your car makes me very eager to get mine on and back on the road!
Yep. That's the size I got too. They're quite a bit wider than the stock 255s and nearly identical in diameter. Please share your pics/impressions. I'm very intersted to hear what you think. Most people seem to rate the RE-11 very highly.

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
I think the car looks great!
Thanks!
I'm stll not 100% sold on the charcoal wheel/Kona Blue combo but the car has been sitting in the garage since Sunday so I still haven't seen them out in sunlight.

Last edited by MRGTX; 4/1/15 at 06:01 AM.
Old 4/1/15, 06:37 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Instead of plastidip i reccommend thos product called Rustoleum FlexiDip. Very similar but to me it goes on easier, has a smoother look, seems much more durable, and peels off easier as well
Old 4/4/15, 05:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
Instead of plastidip i reccommend thos product called Rustoleum FlexiDip. Very similar but to me it goes on easier, has a smoother look, seems much more durable, and peels off easier as well
Thanks!
I will check it out. Peeling off easier is a huge selling point. Im a big proponent of easily reversible mods.
Old 4/6/15, 10:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Yep. That's the size I got too. They're quite a bit wider than the stock 255s and nearly identical in diameter. Please share your pics/impressions. I'm very intersted to hear what you think. Most people seem to rate the RE-11 very highly.
I thought I'd come back and share some comments after getting them on the car, mounted on the RTR 19 x 9.5 wheels...

I autocross regularly and looked for an extreme performance tire this time around to see what all the fuss is about. I picked the RE-11 because they seem to be recommended for a 'beginner' tire, and I plan on tracking the car this year for the first time.

Impressions? I'm a believer. These tires have most definitely ELEVATED the car's overall geometry allowing the suspension/chassis to do its job. After the initial 100 miles break in, GRIP GRIP GRIP is the middle name, it comes on like a nice lens coming into focus. The car becomes more planted but lighter with way better turn in than before. Stable, no buckling or wheel hop. Plant the throttle and the car just walks. I wish I had done this sooner before any of my other mods.

I really don't feel the trade off as the ride and noise quality are like the stock 245/45 Pirellis IF NOT quieter and a lot more comfortable over bumps! It is like the Pirellis' inherent lack of grip upsets the car over bumps and expansion joints causing an uncomfortable ride.

In short as I understand it this tire is now considered 'outdated' in the autox community but consistent good feedback even till now still puts it as a good choice for someone still learning the limits of the car. I can't wait to get these out on the parking lot this year.

Last edited by JPMotorSport; 4/6/15 at 10:28 PM.
Old 4/7/15, 06:58 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I thought I'd come back and share some comments after getting them on the car, mounted on the RTR 19 x 9.5 wheels...

I autocross regularly and looked for an extreme performance tire this time around to see what all the fuss is about. I picked the RE-11 because they seem to be recommended for a 'beginner' tire, and I plan on tracking the car this year for the first time.

Impressions? I'm a believer. These tires have most definitely ELEVATED the car's overall geometry allowing the suspension/chassis to do its job. After the initial 100 miles break in, GRIP GRIP GRIP is the middle name, it comes on like a nice lens coming into focus. The car becomes more planted but lighter with way better turn in than before. Stable, no buckling or wheel hop. Plant the throttle and the car just walks. I wish I had done this sooner before any of my other mods.

I really don't feel the trade off as the ride and noise quality are like the stock 245/45 Pirellis IF NOT quieter and a lot more comfortable over bumps! It is like the Pirellis' inherent lack of grip upsets the car over bumps and expansion joints causing an uncomfortable ride.

In short as I understand it this tire is now considered 'outdated' in the autox community but consistent good feedback even till now still puts it as a good choice for someone still learning the limits of the car. I can't wait to get these out on the parking lot this year.
Good review! Thanks for sharing

I'm currently using Bridgestone Potenza S04 for track days, but next time around I'm looking at RE11s or BFG Rivals. I'm leaning towards the RE11 though, and hearing what you have to say about them is music to my ears.
Old 4/7/15, 07:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
When are you going to get some nice sunshine pictures? But yeah, black wheels can be hard to pull off.
Old 4/7/15, 12:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
When are you going to get some nice sunshine pictures? But yeah, black wheels can be hard to pull off.
Here's another quick one...
Attached Thumbnails RTR Wheels, Potenza RE-11, Bilstein, Eibach Pro...now need good weather-4-2-2015-rtr-wheels.jpg  
Old 4/7/15, 12:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great feedback! Thanks for posting this up.
So far, I think you're 100% right on. I have ~75 miles on mine and while it as been chilly, I can already tell that these tires are transformative for the car. I can't wait to shred some back roads in warm weather.
Old 4/7/15, 12:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
The car looks really good in sun light! Just needs some tire shine for contrast between the wheels and tires. The wheels and tires look almost the same color.
Old 4/7/15, 12:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
The car looks really good in sun light! Just needs some tire shine for contrast between the wheels and tires. The wheels and tires look almost the same color.
Thanks! Good tip with the shine...

For whatever it's worth, these wheels would look way better on a Race Red car. I had a moment where I was kicking myself for not ordering that color...but I grew attached to the Kona eventually.
Old 4/8/15, 12:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I think it looks good! But, I call first dibs on the wheels when you decide you don't like the look and want to sell them.
Old 4/9/15, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I think they look great as well! The shine is a great tip. I think they stand out much more, granted its a pain to keep them that way. I find the color lightens as dust collects on them . Also, as Mr. V mentioned above, black accents really add to them.
Old 4/9/15, 01:03 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I think your combination looks great. Nice touch with the Boss/CS front chin spoiler. In fact, I think I like the badges in chrome, they add a little accent. I have Race Red, and Ford Racing wheels very similar to yours. I love your Kona Blue, also. I was torn between the two colors also.

Quick Reply: RTR Wheels, Potenza RE-11, Bilstein, Eibach Pro...now need good weather