Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

RIP 2014... Just ordered a 2016!

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/15, 07:27 PM
GT Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well guys... I am the biggest idiot in the world! After all the hard work and effort I put into this car...I ruined it in a split second. I didn't get hurt thankfully...but it was COMPLETELY my fault. NEVER EVER EVER EVER take traction control completely off unless you KNOW how to drive it... Long story short I tried to fishtail and landed in a ditch.... No other cars involved... just tried to have some innocent fun but it didn't turn out like I had hoped.... All mods are in sig...

The good news though is I decided to order a new 2016 Mustang GT Premium today... Guard Metallic, 401A Trim Package, Ceramic Leather seats, GT Performance Package, Enhanced Security Package, Reverse Parking Assist, Navigation System and Adaptive Cruise Control. I went all out... I was too upset. I needed to start fresh. Also the new 2016's have the new SYNC 3 so I'm excited about that! It is due to arrive early to mid October...

Now to the sad part..... I have learned my lesson... I am forever driving like an old man haha I honestly got what I deserved... No one should drive this irresponsibly. I mean I rarely do anything like this and the one time I decided to let loose this happened...

This happened about 3 weeks ago btw... I am just now finding the time to post.

Name:  20150715_220846.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  121.1 KB

Name:  20150715_223914.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  137.9 KB

Name:  20150715_224009.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  216.2 KB

Name:  20150715_224021.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  157.4 KB

Name:  20150716_110608.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  203.6 KB

Name:  20150716_110631.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  229.5 KB

Name:  20150716_110640.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  168.5 KB

Name:  20150722_124309.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  129.1 KB

Name:  20150722_124353.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  136.7 KB

Last edited by CoyotePremium13; 8/3/15 at 07:29 PM.
Old 8/3/15, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, that sucks. Glad you weren't hurt. I have never taken my traction control off, mainly because of reading posts like this. These cars have too much power and can take you by surprise if you are not careful. Enjoy your new one.

Wayne
Old 8/3/15, 07:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for your car... very hard lesson learned. As a mustang driver in NJ...All too often people try to egg me on, tempt me to take a bite. It only takes a split second to destroy your car or worse, hurt yourself or someone else. Any time I feel the urge I have to remind myself that these cars are very powerful and I am not a professional driver. I almost bought a Shelby before the 5.0... I can't imagine how tempting it is to abuse that much power... Good luck and be safe with the next one.
Old 8/3/15, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
wow, sad to see this happen, but glad your ok, if it were me I would be pulling what mods I can off that wreked out one and moving them over to the new 2016 stang, might as well right?? thats what I did with my truck that I have now, took what I could transfer over from the 1995 and then sold it for the F250 I got...
Old 8/3/15, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CoyotePremium13
Well guys... I am the biggest idiot in the world! After all the hard work and effort I put into this car...I ruined it in a split second. I didn't get hurt thankfully...but it was COMPLETELY my fault. NEVER EVER EVER EVER take traction control completely off unless you KNOW how to drive it... Long story short I tried to fishtail and landed in a ditch.... No other cars involved... just tried to have some innocent fun but it didn't turn out like I had hoped.... All mods are in sig...

The good news though is I decided to order a new 2016 Mustang GT Premium today... Guard Metallic, 401A Trim Package, Ceramic Leather seats, GT Performance Package, Enhanced Security Package, Reverse Parking Assist, Navigation System and Adaptive Cruise Control. I went all out... I was too upset. I needed to start fresh. Also the new 2016's have the new SYNC 3 so I'm excited about that! It is due to arrive early to mid October...

Now to the sad part..... I have learned my lesson... I am forever driving like an old man haha I honestly got what I deserved... No one should drive this irresponsibly. I mean I rarely do anything like this and the one time I decided to let loose this happened...

wow at least u could walk away I see by the pics a snapped of tie rod end end plus the pan hard bar
Old 8/3/15, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
That is too bad...Mustangs can be wicked at times, it has caught me by surprise a time or two. High horsepower cars need good traction,and unfortunately heavily traveled city or county roads can be slippery from oil and fluid build up, even when it is dry. For me, I never realized how much that mattered until I got the Mustang. Glad no one got hurt. Now, how about posting some before photos so we can remember the way she was.
Old 8/3/15, 08:29 PM
V6 Member

I'm guessing that it's totaled? Doesn't look that bad?
Old 8/3/15, 08:37 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Wow...sorry about the car. I generally leave the TC on on my car. After the SC install last week, it is needed even more. If I ever run it at the track, I'll turn it off then for a better run.
Old 8/3/15, 10:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Aw man, that sucks. Terrible to see. Is it totaled?
Old 8/3/15, 11:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Always careful with the counter steer, once she bites and picks a direction you better be ready. Put the rear axle of my first s197 through a curb to learn this lesson.

Its nearly impossible to change course of heavy RWD car with a long wheel base and hardly any weight on the rear tires once you put the power down and the car points to one direction and begins to whip. You have to be ready and know the car. The counter steer needs to be in effect before it begins to snap the nose toward trouble.

I assume you counter steered too much, too late trying to save her from going to one side and ended up snapping her back too far to the other which ended up being the ditch? Or perhaps you just spun it so hard you didnt even have the opportunity to do anything? What actually happened?

When you are 3/4 way through a corner, mash throttle then pull the steering wheel down hard then quickly up again while its kicking the rear. This steering motion is done several times in the span of a second or two... watch any performance driving when they kick it on purpose with a rwd car leaving a corner and youll see how its done. Ive have a fair bit of track time under my belt, and in some pretty serious machines (lamborghini gallardo, ferrari, 450, audi r8) so it all comes down to experience. My first mustang paid that price as i was transitioning from a front wheel drive vdub.
Old 8/4/15, 05:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. I bet you want to vomit every time you look out the window at that carcass. Are you going to part it out? I am sure someone would want the motor and transmission.

Glad that you weren't hurt other than your ego and pride.
Old 8/4/15, 05:36 AM
GT Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim74656
wow, sad to see this happen, but glad your ok, if it were me I would be pulling what mods I can off that wreked out one and moving them over to the new 2016 stang, might as well right?? thats what I did with my truck that I have now, took what I could transfer over from the 1995 and then sold it for the F250 I got...
I thought about it... but the way it sits with no wheel or steering it'd be more hassle than it's worth... most of the suspension parts were damaged...all that's left would be headers and shifter, but neither of those will fit on a 2016 (to my knowledge). MGW's website doesn't list the shifter as the same part # for 2014 and 2015 (I can only assume 2016 is the same as 2015). The headers are also different and it took me 16 hours to install those stupid things... i can't imagine taking them out would be much easier haha

Originally Posted by BackroadGT
That is too bad...Mustangs can be wicked at times, it has caught me by surprise a time or two. High horsepower cars need good traction,and unfortunately heavily traveled city or county roads can be slippery from oil and fluid build up, even when it is dry. For me, I never realized how much that mattered until I got the Mustang. Glad no one got hurt. Now, how about posting some before photos so we can remember the way she was.
I will post pics tonight when I get home from work!

Originally Posted by TheDevice
I'm guessing that it's totaled? Doesn't look that bad?
Originally Posted by laserred38
Aw man, that sucks. Terrible to see. Is it totaled?
Yes... it is totaled...not because of dollar amount, but because the frame twisted and the parts are not available (according to my insurance company). it ended up being $17,000 in damage and the car is worth according to them $31,000. They said the structural damage is too great...
I fought for them to give me more and I talked them up to $33,500... so that's what I ended up getting for the car the way it sits.

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Or perhaps you just spun it so hard you didnt even have the opportunity to do anything? What actually happened?
This is exactly what happened... it whipped so hard I had no control... I was too heavy on the foot before I counter-steered...rookie mistake... but then again, I AM a rookie haha. If I ever do something like this again it will be in a huge empty parking lot nowhere near any ditches...

Originally Posted by V6 Driver
Wow. I bet you want to vomit every time you look out the window at that carcass. Are you going to part it out? I am sure someone would want the motor and transmission.

Glad that you weren't hurt other than your ego and pride.
You are right... it sickens me every time, not only seeing these pics, but seeing any s197 I pass on the road (which I pass a lot on my 25 mile commute to work everyday)

Thanks to everyone for the sympathy! I hope I answered everyone's questions...if not I will look this over tonight again. I am about to leave for work and won't be able to reply throughout the day until tonight.

I touched on this in one of the quoted replies, but yes the car is totaled. The only way the insurance company was going to go up in price for the car is to fight for it... I pleaded and reasoned that I put over $5000 in aftermarket parts. The reason I didn't take anything off is because they went from $31,000 to $33,500 as it sits... that's $2500 extra in my pocket that taking off those headers and MGW shifter wouldn't justify because I don't think I can use them in the new 2016. I will build the 2016 back up to what my '14 was... starting with headers and exhaust, intake and tune. I don't think I will have to do nearly the same amount of suspension work because I got the GT Performance Pack in the 2016 and they already come with upgraded sway bars and beefy struts. Only thing I will do is put springs on it to get ride of some wheel gap. I do all the work myself so that in itself saves me a ton of money...and I get to know the car!
Old 8/4/15, 05:51 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CoyotePremium13

So sorry about your car, she was a beauty for sure. Glad you are ok though, that is really the most important thing and that noboby was hurt. Are you going to order a convertable or coupe?

Last edited by Mustang-4.6; 8/4/15 at 05:59 AM.
Old 8/4/15, 06:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did you get a quote for insurance on a 16...I'm thinking you will get hit with a big increase.....
Old 8/4/15, 06:49 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
Did you get a quote for insurance on a 16...I'm thinking you will get hit with a big increase.....

Every state is different, but there should be little difference in the cost between a '14 and '16. They are essentially the same car in the eyes of the insurance underwriters....same cost basis, rating, cost to repair, etc.

Here in NJ I'm actually paying less for my '14 GT convertible than my '14 Fusion.
Old 8/4/15, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That really sucks about your '14. I honestly do not like the steering on the car compared to other cars I have owned. It feels to unresponsive and almost too easy. I have only tried frying the tires on mine a couple of times and it did seem to go pretty straight so I don't know how things would go if it kicked to one side or the other. And I usually run with TSC on because I am normally not in the throttle.
Old 8/4/15, 07:24 AM

Glad your ok. I always turn off full advancetrac. But, I have owned more powerful cars than this one. I've had a couple of oh sh.. moments, but saved it from coming around. Takes years of driving and instinct to know what to do. Most people wanting 600 whp plus have no clue what their getting into...
Old 8/4/15, 07:36 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
WOW, just gave me chills, very erie feeling. Your car is just too darn close to a twin of mine. Glad you came out ok! Sure seems like there are a lot of S197s going down. Especially the Sterling Gray ones. Hope everything works out. Best of luck with the new one.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 8/19/15 at 10:53 PM.
Old 8/4/15, 08:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
sorry to hear about this, thanks for sharing this truthful helping some rookies like me not to make these mistakes.
Old 8/4/15, 09:23 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Every state is different, but there should be little difference in the cost between a '14 and '16. They are essentially the same car in the eyes of the insurance underwriters....same cost basis, rating, cost to repair, etc.

Here in NJ I'm actually paying less for my '14 GT convertible than my '14 Fusion.
But the fact he just totaled a car has to be part of the pricing by UWing, isn't it?

Quick Reply: RIP 2014... Just ordered a 2016!