Old 2/27/13, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ LOL!
Old 3/1/13, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

More Thoughts on the 2014 Mustang GT Track Pack

Since my last posting, I’ve put on another 200+ miles and have gained even more perspective into this amazing piece of Americana.

When you drop 40 large on a car, you have expectations – but they shouldn’t go unmanaged. Most of us assume if a car’s price crosses a certain threshold, then it cannot have been designed with compromises in mind; it should have been engineered and assembled from the ground up to serve a specific purpose.

My S2000 is a purpose-built car whose only compromises come in the forms of an air conditioner, rag top motor, and power steering system. The rest of the car, as every good track vehicle should be, has been designed using minimal/no insulation and is made of lightweight material. This car has been designed and built for the purpose of living on a race track, and guess what – that novelty wears off quickly when you daily drive it. If you can imagine what it’s like to attach a steering wheel and tires to a bathtub, then you can imagine what driving one is like. At speed, the interior is filled with ear-numbing drone from the tires, motor and exhaust – none of which are pleasing to the ear by themselves. The stereo system, while more than adequate for any other vehicle, is useless, as it cannot be heard above the din of the road. You will not have a conversation over your mobile phone, either. Don’t get me wrong – this car is amazing, but…

For the typical Mustang demography, the Ford pleases right out of the showroom – but for the guy who buys one to augment his ego because a turbo Civic whizzed past him on the road while his old bucket was wheezing near redline, these unmanaged expectations may lead to disappointment. For those jumping out of their BMW, Lexus, etc, mismanaged expectations can cause resentment and buyer’s remorse. So, what did Ford do right, then? Why are people still buying these Mustangs?

The answer is that Ford hasn’t changed a thing. As they have continued to improved quality and the manufacturing process, they are still producing a car that a true enthusiast will embrace. Hey, it’s not Ford’s fault that the car has become such an icon – and the fact that I see so many on the road used to turn me off, but now it fills me with pride. I do still cringe when I see that occasional broken down 95 GT on the roadside engulfed in plumes of coolant steam.

But! What has Ford done with these new Mustangs? They have given the masses a very livable and capable performance platform which can also be endlessly customized to suit any enthusiast. You say you don’t like the way your MT-82 is shifting? Well, looky here: change the bushing or shifter. You feel the suspension is too soft? Hit the internet and get your debit card ready. Do you think that spending additional money to make a new car perform to your standards is beneath you? Well, maybe you should’ve been more patient and saved your money for something more expensive – something German. Actually, you’d better lease because once you go past 60K on the odometer, these cars will cost you a fortune to maintain. Ask anyone who owns a Merc SL or BMW M how they feel about taking care of that aging machine.

Getting back on point, this new 2014 GT Track Pack has been phenomenal – and I love everything that comes along with owning this car. I love spending time researching parts and modifications. Reading posts on these forums is part of the joy of ownership for me. Some of you guys are putting your money where your mouths are and are blazing new trails for guys like myself who prefer to let the other guy blow up their car first. I can appreciate ***** like that.

I also love that I can modify this car to my liking myself – Ford has given me a platform that, for my purposes, is 90% where I want it to be. I am only improving on the things that Ford has implemented to make this car more w i d e l y marketable. For me, this translates into getting slightly stiffer shocks/struts, replacing the rear shifter bracket/bushing, and maybe something else minor down the road. It’s these little things that make being a Mustang owner wonderful; it’s these things that make the car truly yours – if you haven’t busted your knuckles and bled, cursed, cried, or sweat over your car, is it really yours and have you earned the right to complain about it?

My S2000 is the perfect track car right out of the box; it needs nothing and all I’ve had to do is maintain it. While this may sound ideal to 95% of car owners out there, the remaining 5% of us out on the fringe – the enthusiasts – may see things a little differently. This is largely responsible for what has made owning the S2000 a detached experience. I reckon I’ve come to realize that I don’t appreciate perfection as much as I appreciate pouring myself into something to make it perfect for me. I’ve matured to the point where the experience of owning a car must add to my joy and I’m glad that Ford didn’t set out to create a perfect car.

My Honda? It’s just parked in my garage and I’ve forgotten about it. When I park my Mustang I still think about it. It’s as if it has become part of my spirit. At this point, the car is just starting to settle and is breaking in - and I think it’s breaking me in, too. I saw a YouTube review whose narrator just nailed it when he said, “When you are driving the Mustang it’s like you are breaking in a wild horse”. This is the spirit and the legacy of these cars.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 3/1/13 at 11:09 AM.
Old 3/1/13, 10:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is exactly how I feel every time I get in and turn the key. It's like I'm taking my horse for it's daily trip to where I want to go. Since September when I purchased my 13 I have made it mine in subtle ways and that suits me just fine. My car just arrived to Germany the end of last month and I have had it back in my possession for 3 days now. I get so many compliments, looks, waves, and thumbs up that it makes me that much more confident that I made the right decision to trade in my well built German car and bring a piece of Americana with me on my journey abroad. Well said sir. The Autobahn awaits once it gets warm. Cheers.
Old 3/1/13, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Thank you, sir. BTW, I LOVE German [over]engineering. You must get all kinds of looks in that Pony out there.
Old 3/1/13, 01:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I certainly do. I have been pulled over twice already. They don't need a reason over here other than they want to. You get used to it though. Mostly just to ask me about my car in broken English.
Old 3/1/13, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Schnell schnell!
Old 3/1/13, 03:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Prost!!!!
Old 3/1/13, 07:10 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why didn't you just put this in your first thread?
Old 3/2/13, 05:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Very well stated, Fdesalvo.
Old 3/4/13, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Thank you MRGTX

Overboost - good question. As I become more familiar with the car, I have new thoughts about it.
Old 3/6/13, 01:59 PM

ever since i picked up mine ... I LOVE IT! Great Review btw buddy. And yes I cant wipe my grin of my face.. even my fiance says "your eyes become large, and you have this big grin" and yes getting head turned is amazing. I own a 97GT CVT which i did just about everything other than a power adder, but this '13 PONY 5.0 feels almost perfect out of the box... I love it, all i think about is the car, to a point where i found my self covering my butt to tell my FIANCE I LOVE HER MORE THAN THE CAR ( Which i do ) but hehe, she will never understand the bond between me and my HORSE :P
Old 3/7/13, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Aleksandar Dragosavljevic
ever since i picked up mine ... I LOVE IT! Great Review btw buddy. And yes I cant wipe my grin of my face.. even my fiance says "your eyes become large, and you have this big grin" and yes getting head turned is amazing. I own a 97GT CVT which i did just about everything other than a power adder, but this '13 PONY 5.0 feels almost perfect out of the box... I love it, all i think about is the car, to a point where i found my self covering my butt to tell my FIANCE I LOVE HER MORE THAN THE CAR ( Which i do ) but hehe, she will never understand the bond between me and my HORSE :P

I know what you mean about the fiance!
Old 3/7/13, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Track Pack Don’t Care

The more seat time I get and the more familiar I become with this car, the more I am impressed. Since I first drove off from the Ford lot, I have written two reviews and I keep thinking that I should’ve waited another month to post them, but how can I? I’m excited and you’re going to hear about it. I wanted to touch on another aspect of the car – the Sync system.

Last night as I was warming the car up after band rehearsal, I decided to start digging through the Media menu and I noticed that my iPhone was listed as a connected device. I chose it and found a song to play. Sure enough, the speakers came to life with my selection! I’m sure this is how my dad felt when he discovered “electronic mail”, but this is my car, right?? The next thing I knew, I was blazing through the twisting back roads of Orange County controlling the music via my steering wheel.

Another victory came in the guise of the Autodim option, which when disabled, allows me to not be blinded by the touch screen at night. Honestly, this was a bother before I learned I could toggle it on or off; I found it very distracting. I always felt that the gauges should be the brightest thing in the car, but not more so than the headlights, lest they be a distraction. Now it’s perfect. So, back to the drive home…

I made my way to the 5N and made quick work of the few straggling cars that were carelessly meandering up the highway, almost trying to choke off the path of the beast, but the Track Pack wasn’t having it.

You see that BMW 350i that’s trying to flank you? Just downshift into 5th and mash the gas. Track Pack don’t care.

How about that 370Z that’s trying to overtake you? Track Pack don’t care. Tickle the skinny pedal and enjoy his headlights in your rear view mirror.

Is that Ford turbo diesel trying to harass you at 70 MPH? Give him hell! Track Pack don’t care!
Old 3/7/13, 08:39 AM
Cobra Member

Oh man, Frank's got it bad... Just wait til he gets the MGW installed, there will be no stopping him.
Old 3/7/13, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I can't stop myself

Old 3/7/13, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Very nice write up Frank and I could not agree more.

Fred
Old 3/7/13, 04:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOVE IT! TRACK PACK DON'T CARE! LOL!
Keep up the good work Frank!
Old 3/7/13, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, guys.

Lol, I was literally saying, "Track Pack don't care" as I passed people up. Nothing like a little sleep dep!

Last edited by fdesalvo; 3/7/13 at 04:15 PM.
Old 3/8/13, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by fdesalvo
Thanks, guys.

Lol, I was literally saying, "Track Pack don't care" as I passed people up. Nothing like a little sleep dep!

Hehe... Awesome read FRANK! I love my mustang... Sure its a payment I didnt need, and thanks to my lovely fiance who approved and now is proudly contributing to me paying off... I LOVE THE CAR < is the grin i get each time i step on the pedal...

I still cant believe that my little DOXIE goes against those badgers

Quick Reply: A review of the 2014 GT/Track Pack