Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Paid off S197 guys: Keep, Sell, trade in for something new?

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/16, 11:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought my 11 a little late, but am getting there as well with the payments. I've got the RTR edition in Grabber Blue. I toy with the idea of a new one here and there (especially since the new RTRs look pretty slick) but then come to my senses shortly after. Once its payed off I may get something thats better suited for daily driving, but I dont ever plan to let go of it. More realistically, once its completely payed off I will throw a blower on it for something new and shiny

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 3/3/16 at 11:16 AM.
Old 3/3/16, 11:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Payments? What are those? I haven't had payments in over a year! #Smug #Gloat I guess that's probably because I'm insanely frugal when it comes to everything else haha. Don't sell the car man, you'll be taking a huge hit and there currently isn't anything on the market right now that's worth buying. The Camaro is a great platform, but it's basically the same old styling, hard to see out of, and overpriced. The only thing out there worth considering is maybe a used C6 Z06. Those cars STILL look badass, even compared to the C7 imo. 505 hp N/A, and in a lighter package, can't be argued with
Old 3/3/16, 11:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by WhitePonyGT/CS
With just an intake, tb, midpipe, and tune I running easy 12.1's on my stock 245 all seasons at 1500' track elevation. Now it should be 11.9 car on 275's street tires. (Revised tuning, race axle back, more tire.)
Since when??? Without a tire, those mods aren't going to bring a 12.7-13.0 second car down to 12.1. I'd really like to see who has done this before.
Old 3/3/16, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Payments? What are those? I haven't had payments in over a year! #Smug #Gloat I guess that's probably because I'm insanely frugal when it comes to everything else haha. Don't sell the car man, you'll be taking a huge hit and there currently isn't anything on the market right now that's worth buying. The Camaro is a great platform, but it's basically the same old styling, hard to see out of, and overpriced. The only thing out there worth considering is maybe a used C6 Z06. Those cars STILL look badass, even compared to the C7 imo. 505 hp N/A, and in a lighter package, can't be argued with
This will make guys without payments feel even better! I'm paying $1k a month car payment for 5 years and $200 a month for registration for my Shelby, then nearly the same for my wife's Mercedes....then another $600 on my truck

Where I'm at in Colorado vechicle registration is really expensive and based on the cars value. For my Shelby, my truck, and my wife's glk 350 was $5k last year

Then I have to pay for insurance on 6 cars, I can't believe my wife puts up with it, especially when I make her park her car outside!
Old 3/3/16, 12:21 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Since when??? Without a tire, those mods aren't going to bring a 12.7-13.0 second car down to 12.1. I'd really like to see who has done this before.
I have a friend who has Airaid CAI, Lund tune, long tube headers, cat delete, muffler delete (resonators with stock GT tips welded on). With a set street tires wider than stock, he ran 11.994 @ 118.57 and has the slip to prove it.
Old 3/3/16, 12:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
I have a friend who has Airaid CAI, Lund tune, long tube headers, cat delete, muffler delete (resonators with stock GT tips welded on). With a set street tires wider than stock, he ran 11.994 @ 118.57 and has the slip to prove it.
What was his 60' time?
Old 3/3/16, 12:41 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
What was his 60' time?

60' was 1.914 sec.

Last edited by SpectreH; 3/3/16 at 12:44 PM.
Old 3/3/16, 01:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

that explains a lot
Old 3/3/16, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
This will make guys without payments feel even better! I'm paying $1k a month car payment for 5 years and $200 a month for registration for my Shelby, then nearly the same for my wife's Mercedes....then another $600 on my truck

Where I'm at in Colorado vechicle registration is really expensive and based on the cars value. For my Shelby, my truck, and my wife's glk 350 was $5k last year

Then I have to pay for insurance on 6 cars, I can't believe my wife puts up with it, especially when I make her park her car outside!
Ouch! I didnt realize Colorado Registration was that ridiculous. Time for a Tax revolt.
Old 3/3/16, 03:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Ouch! I didnt realize Colorado Registration was that ridiculous. Time for a Tax revolt.
I left Texas where registration was $75 per year no matter what the vehicles value was. To get the plates for my Shelby in Colorado was $2,400 for the first year. It drops every year because the vechicles value drops.

I was wondering why when I got to Boulder not many people drive nice cars like they do in Texas. I'm sure the winter has something to do with it but the registration I'm sure plays in to that as well.

Last edited by Ecostang; 3/3/16 at 03:47 PM.
Old 3/3/16, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CJ intake, Tb, tune, midpipe. I leave off idle 2.00 60 foot. Ran 3 of them at 12.1 @ 1500' spinning bad on the 1-2 shift. I ran 12.4's with just a tune. Lol...
Old 3/3/16, 04:20 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
I left Texas where registration was $75 per year no matter what the vehicles value was. To get the plates for my Shelby in Colorado was $2,400 for the first year. It drops every year because the vechicles value drops.

I was wondering why when I got to Boulder not many people drive nice cars like they do in Texas. I'm sure the winter has something to do with it but the registration I'm sure plays in to that as well.
$2,400 for vehicle registration is not only insane, but also totally unacceptable..If I were in your shoes ? I'd be getting the hell out of Dodge/Colorado as fast as I possibly can lol.
Old 3/4/16, 04:29 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I'm not going to ***** about the $24.50 per year, per vehicle we pay in Tennessee anymore
Old 3/4/16, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't sell the car man, you'll be taking a huge hit and there currently isn't anything on the market right now that's worth buying. The Camaro is a great platform, but it's basically the same old styling, hard to see out of, and overpriced. The only thing out there worth considering is maybe a used C6 Z06. Those cars STILL look badass, even compared to the C7 imo. 505 hp N/A, and in a lighter package, can't be argued with
I agree that there really is nothing out there in new car land worth trading in a later model S197. I had an LS3 C6 prior to the Boss. The C6 was awesome but the Mustang is simply more fun to drive on the street, imho. If you really have the itch to trade, look for a Boss or 13-14 GT500. Tons of fun and I bet they will hold their value much better than a standard GT or SS.
Old 3/4/16, 09:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Boss 0960
I agree that there really is nothing out there in new car land worth trading in a later model S197. I had an LS3 C6 prior to the Boss. The C6 was awesome but the Mustang is simply more fun to drive on the street, imho. If you really have the itch to trade, look for a Boss or 13-14 GT500. Tons of fun and I bet they will hold their value much better than a standard GT or SS.
Ive driven a number of C6's from back when I worked as a GM tech and also have test driven one. What makes the Mustang more fun to drive? I'd like to hear you opinion. I've never driven a C6 for longer than 15 minutes or so.
Old 3/4/16, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss 0960
Ive driven a number of C6's from back when I worked as a GM tech and also have test driven one. What makes the Mustang more fun to drive? I'd like to hear you opinion. I've never driven a C6 for longer than 15 minutes or so.
I'm curious to what Boss0960 has to say too.

I work in the Auto industry, and I've spend a lot of time in Corvettes and Camaros at the proving grounds.

I'd personally take a Vette, but the vette is more of a true sports car. It's easier to drive fast than the Mustang. Body motions are ore controlled and more consistent.

There is a lot going on with our Ponies at the limit (pitch, roll, dive, squat) in aditon to skid. It's less like riding a horse and more like breaking one. It's fun and exciting, but not as fast.

I wonder if you have a similar opinion.
Old 3/5/16, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

The thing about the Corvette is that it's "too good". It does everything well. I have no complaints about it's ride, handling, comfort or performance. Having said that, it's so competent and it's performance limits are so high that nothing you do on the street can phase it unless you are going TOTALLY illegal. Want to make a fast turn, just do it. The Corvette doesn't care and it just turns fast without any fuss. You want to be faster than all the other cars at the stoplight? Just hit the gas pedal harder. Unless you are illegally street racing, risking your license and innocent lives, you cannot use maximum power on the street. You will be illegal in seconds, much like any performance car but without any effort or drama. It just goes fast.

Driving the Corvette at normal speed is so easy, I could put my 70 year old mother in the car and she would have no idea of the car's potential. It rides like a Buick on the highway despite it's awesome roadholding capability.

To be honest, I had more fun in the 4cyl Ranger that I had at the same time as the Vette. I flogged that thing and pushed it's limits but it was so slow that nobody knew I was racing but me. I've come to realize that it's not the maximum capability of a vehicle that makes it "fun" on the street. I chose the Boss 302 over the GT500 or the Corvette because it is fast enough for the street but it's handling is active and engaging even in spirited but safe street driving. The Corvette was more of a point and shoot kind of weapon. It did everything I asked of it but using a car like that on public roads so far below it's potential sucks the thrill out of it.

I hope I've explained it well enough. It's hard to put the reason for a feeling into words. I have nothing bad to say about the Corvette at all. It was just too good at everything to be very much "fun".

Last edited by Boss 0960; 3/5/16 at 09:43 AM.
Old 3/5/16, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Well said, Boss 0960. That's why I like the 5.0 so much. She's untamed and a little wild at times! Hang on and have fun!
Old 3/5/16, 10:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The Mustang is better because it kinda sucks. Got it.

Actually, I think that was very well stated. There's something about hustling a so-so handling muscle car through the curves and blasting off on corner-exit that's just so **** rewarding.
Old 3/5/16, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I am keeping my 11 for at least another year. Then I might trade her for the S550 - albeit a slightly used one. The car is a fair weather toy for me and I would rather pick them up when they are a few years old and have slightly depreciated.