2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is Nav worth the Price?

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/14, 03:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The real question is how often do you drive to a new, unknown location?

I had nav in my last car and aside from the fact the voice over turn by turn directions were just annoying and that it would always show a checkered flag and say you had reached your destination which often was useless when you were in an area with lots of strip malls or whatever and still had to search for the actual location, I hardly ever found myself going somewhere I didn't know.

So for $2300? Dual zone climate or not, no way. It should cost no more than about $1000. This time around I skipped it and couldn't be happier - I have a two line display that tells me the time, the song, and the artist, and I have an iPod in the console and voice command of my music…that's all I need.
Old 8/24/14, 06:58 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
What I said was.... "the thing that bugs me the most is that we buy these navigation devices built into the car and will rarely seen any updates for them. They could be considered obsolete in just a matter of years." So basically. I am right. Because of how much it costs to update. They rarely get updated. I paid $80 for the TomTom only iPhone and have been receiving updates for the last 6 years (since I bought it) free. I guess, if your willing to pay what you have stated which is $150-$200, you too can have up to date maps.
Still confused.. Annual updates = not obsolete.

I do agree that recently Garmin/TomTom have started offering more units that qualify for free map updates (not all GPS units get free updates and these map updates cost up to $100). I don't see any $80 units with free updates though when I did a quick search.

Personally I have 1 Magellan and 2 TomTom GPS units that are all way out of date (no free updates) and cost of the map update is half the cost of a new unit.

Added comment - Oh, any my 3 portable GPS units all have screens about the size of my Smartphone - so for me the screens are much too small to safely use on the road with my old tired eyes.

Last edited by skramblr; 8/24/14 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Added one more comment.
Old 8/24/14, 07:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
My Garmin has unlimited updates, as long as you pay $50 dollars a whack, it does not have a 10gig hard drive, HD Radio, Play DVD's, reroute if needed for traffic, control the Temperature of the interior of the car, have a good selection of Points of interest and the last time I tried to talk to it nothing happened, and like skramblr said, it has a screen you can see.
BTW I did not buy it for the Navigation, I bought it for the complete package and I use it daily.
Old 8/24/14, 08:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
See my earlier post about my tablet and Sygic. The maps are stored on the tablet, so no data connection required. The screen is a 7 inch, so good size. Map and POI updates are free for life.
Old 8/25/14, 07:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skramblr
Still confused.. Annual updates = not obsolete.

I do agree that recently Garmin/TomTom have started offering more units that qualify for free map updates (not all GPS units get free updates and these map updates cost up to $100). I don't see any $80 units with free updates though when I did a quick search.

Personally I have 1 Magellan and 2 TomTom GPS units that are all way out of date (no free updates) and cost of the map update is half the cost of a new unit.

Added comment - Oh, any my 3 portable GPS units all have screens about the size of my Smartphone - so for me the screens are much too small to safely use on the road with my old tired eyes.

Yes - okay. maybe not "obsolete", but lets face it, at the rate that they charge you of $150-$200, you won't be seeing anyone running out to update their head units anytime soon, rendering them more obsolete than anything.

Considering what ford charges us for the tech package, they should be offering FREE updates as a added incentive to buying the pricey tech package.

I am referring to the TomTom on my iPhone. cost $80 through the app store, I believe the price has gone down...

I have been receiving free updates back when I bought it on my iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S and now on my iPhone 5S.... haven't paid for an update since.

GPS units themselves are subpar in comparison to using them on Android/Apple devices.

I know you agree with me. It's fine, you don't have to admit it. I'm not here to have a pissing contest. You can see it how you wish

The Head unit is nice, I do really like the finished look of having the massive screen in the car! just wish I wasn't so bloody expensive. While using the TomTom, 9 times out of 10, I just listen to it via Bluetooth and don't pay any attention to screen anyways.

and yes - That limits you from being able to listen to music IF - you don't have radio apps on your phone

what I do while I'm listening to the navigation assistant "Tanya" is her British accent, is I load Slacker Radio. this way I get to listen to what I want and not miss out on what Tanya has to say. Slacker is A LOT like Sirius only except that its FREE and ALL radio stations are crisp. Yes it uses your data, but not much...

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 8/25/14 at 08:22 AM.
Old 8/26/14, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Toad 185
Haha it's a small cabin just turn or shut the vents off. $2300 dollars can get you a nice after market head unit.
It's not that effective on a highway trip when one person is sitting in the sun roasting while another person is freezing in the shade.
Old 8/26/14, 01:15 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I think it's worth it except for the ugly menu system.
Old 8/28/14, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cdvision
It's not that effective on a highway trip when one person is sitting in the sun roasting while another person is freezing in the shade.
I only worry about the person that's paying for the car...and driving...ME.
Old 8/29/14, 05:11 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a ProClip mount with my Samsung Galaxy S4 with Google maps, and can still play Pandora through Sync and get all of the turn by turn directions through the Sync link as well. I also get to customize the location and aim it at me or my passenger, who incidentally can also use the mounted phone for other things. I wanted the Nav but I also didn't want to spend a fortune, so I opted for a Base GT with the Sync package and have been very pleased with it. YMMV
Old 8/29/14, 05:23 AM
Cobra Member

My wife currently has an 11 GT w/glass roof, comfort, and Nav. She said she wants a new Mustang after hers is paid off next year, so I asked her what options she wanted in the next one. She was bummed the glass roof is no longer offered, wants the comfort pkg, but said skip the Nav, couldn't see paying extra for it. When I asked why she said 'cause she uses Waze on her iPhone that she has mounted in a vent holder. The social media updates you get for road hazards, traffic, and speed traps are the things she loves in Waze over the OEM Nav.

Before Nav became common place with Tomtom/Garmin/smart phone apps, the OEM units were pretty basic, and only your high price German/Japanese cars provided decent cost-be-damned performance. The current Ford Nav is, IMHO, good, not great, and offers moderate value as part of the Electronics Package. As it is integrated with Sync, you can tell your car to provide route guidance with voice commands. Not bad, but now the latest smart phones also offer voice command options, and have better traffic and alert features.

Here's hoping a Ford overhauls the current Nav design and offers improved capabilities to keep pace with smart phone apps. When I upgraded my base stereo to a complete iDatalink Maestro panel with a Kenwood head unit, it came with Garmin Navigation. It offers almost twice as much screen size than my iPhone (that I also use for Waze), and is just a better unit than the Ford Nav.

When heading to dinner last night, I knew the way that Waze had routed us last time wasn't the best. With all the one way streets in a grid pattern, it was easier for me to just keep heading north up the main road and then take the closest 1 way street on the left. I was able to put my finger on the screen, and drag the display to my left to see where exactly I needed to go. The Ford Nav I think would require you to use arrow keys to adjust your view. Nav wasn't an option on my Boss, and for less than 2 grand, I was able to get an incredible sound system (installed myself) AND Nav.

Whether or not the OP thinks Nav is ultimately worth it boils down to;

1) Is this a budget based decision? While expensive, it does add to resale value
2) Are you a techie? Younger owners love their smart phone and new apps. Older owners with tired eyes usually prefer the built in Nav.
3) Would you consider an aftermarket solution? Plenty of people like a portable Nav device, or you can spend more for an in dash head unit. If you pay to get a decent head unit upgrade with a Maestro kit to retain Sync functions, you would get better Nav, better sound and features, for about the same money.

It really depends on your preferences, how high tech you are, and if you really need a navigation aid. The current Ford Nav offers decent, not great performance, but for the money there are better alternatives if you are willing do what it takes to upgrade or use your own device.

Last edited by ace72ace; 8/29/14 at 05:27 AM.
Old 8/29/14, 05:29 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
My old school navigation system:
Attached Images  
Old 8/30/14, 03:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
My old school navigation system:
Lol, my mom still prefers to use a map. By the time she find the place my dad already has the directions routed on his phone.
Old 9/2/14, 07:48 AM

I have navigation in my GT but IMO it is an overrated and overpriced option considering I seldom drive far from the house. The only reason I got it was because I wanted a grabber blue GT but the only cars I found already had it installed. Unfortunately my car didn't come with the camera so I bought an OEM spoiler and am now getting it painted to match.
Old 9/2/14, 08:15 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I originally had no intention on buying a nav car when I was shopping used a few months ago. However, the car I ended up buying had the nav option and boy am I glad I got it.

Very useful and directions are clear. I've used the navigation to navigate me to a couple of car shows and I never made a wrong turn because of it.

Also consider whether you have bad OCD. Sounds crazy but for some reason a windshield mounted nav like a gar in really sets it off. And the cable from it would block some of your dash controls. I just feel like a built in nav has a cleaner look to it.

Do what you want though. It's a pricey option. Luckily I didn't have to worry about that since I bought used. Good luck